Any good fanless PSU's out there?

Silverstone has good fanless PSUs however its a media center will it be on for long periods of time?

If so just get something rated far beyond what you need so its only ever utilized to about 50% it will be cheaper than fanless and cost less.

Although not knowing your case and airflow set up you may acctualy be perfectly fine ie air getting exhausted through PSU which should be enough flow for fanless to be perfect.

Have a look at the Seasonic X-400 and X-460. I've no experience of them personally but if they're anything like the X-760 you won't have a problem. The higher power Seasonic X series power supplies, although expensive, could be another option because the fans don't even start up until loaded above 20%. That would give you 152W on the X-760. I think Stoner has the best idea using an high efficiency 80 Plus Silver or Gold unit below 50% of it's capacity, OK the fan will be running but I don't think you'd ever hear it?

To give you an idea of a good quality PSU with a good fan in it. My strider plus I have never once heard it even with every other fan off the hdd will be far far louder than it. I know because I watch movies like that. Have a look at rubber mounts for your hdd if you want a silent htpc.

I believe most reviewers hold Corsair PSU's in high esteem. Over here in australia they've been voted the peoples choice a number of times in the pc magazines. It might seem a bit overkill, but you might want to opt for a gold standard PSU if you can because less of the energy is converted to heat. I don't know if they're that easy to find for low wattage PSU's though.

Seems to be a little bit of fear of recommending fanless units here.

Getting a much higher rated PSU with a quiet fan profile at low loads would be one way to go, sure (and might be cheaper depending on what you go for).

I don't think there is anything wrong with opting for a fanless unit though, as long as you remember that you'll need a little bit of air circulation in the case to help with cooling the PSU.

Any of the units below would be fine (copied and pasted from the recommended list). The Kingwin and Super Flower are the same unit inside.

The X-460FL looks like a good choice at the moment if you are in the US, with the current newegg price and rebate - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151099

- Stryker 500W Fanless - 5yrs - 80Plus Platinum - Review

- Golden Silent 500W - ?yrs - 80Plus Platinum - Review

- X-400W Fanless - 5yrs - 80Plus Gold - Review - Review - Review - Review - Review

- X-460W Fanless - 5yrs - 80Plus Gold - Review

Edited by jammin

I guess I am looking for a fanless not just for noise, but the fan pulls in so much crud and dust that I need to air can out the media center every two weeks.

Buy a filter then.

You still need airflow in fanless PSUs so it won't stop dust getting in it. Buying some filters like the magnetic ones that can be easily removed for cleaning.

If you current PSU still works and there is nothing wrong with it's noise. It's time to do the sensible thing and spend literally one hundredth of the price of a fanless PSU, on filters.