For all the would be software pirates.

InCrYsIs

We survived centuries without this stuff. They are privileges not rights as ed said.

To put it in your example of kids playing with cars, child a decides he wants to play with model cars, so he goes to the store and steals the best one he can find because he doesn't have the money for it even though he could have loads of fun with a smaller cheaper or switching to video games even free one. You would not encourage him to steal it, so why encourage the stealing of games and such for that reason. I take it from you posts that you are both a youth and in one of the countries of which you speak so i understand there are different opinions on these topics and even an entitlement attitude(especially among youth who see what youth in other places do and feel they have the right to do the same) but that does not make it right. If you think you need video games that badly there are plenty of fun free games. Trust me you don't need video game, i survived without them until about 4 years ago. Its just another time waster.(admittedly a fun one)

This does in part contradict what i said earlier, but this is because this thread made me stop and think, and talk it over with a friend. As a result we both deleted all of the files we had pirated.

Stop making examples for piracy that involve stealing. They only stir the pot.

I think you guys might be missing what Gollum is saying, he's saying that the pirated material is not supported or sold in his area. If he can't access it legally because the company won't distribute to him, what is his other option?

If you ask me, it's not piracy if you don't have a legal option, it's up to the companies the sell a product to support different areas of the world, that's their responsibility as distributors. If they can't do it, fine, but it stops being piracy when that happens.

in the early years we were recording songs in cassettes from cds or even radio and movies and concerts from tv and all this freely, what's the difference now ?

i'm not encouraging to steal anything (as i don't see it as a stealing because it's unavailable anywhere and have no way to have it because of "them"), and i the comparison of a stealing a toy car and downloading a game or anything else is not really "close" you can download many things, but never steal a car, or anything else and you'll help poor people, pay your bills (be a good guy)

and culture as passions are rights (in my humble opinion), do i have to kill a passion because i've no money ? i got a lot pleasure to listen a kind of music, do i have to kill this moments because i have no money and no way to find it "legally" ? is eveything about money in the world ?

what i'm saying is

why not finding a solution that can give access to these people with an affordable price, and by the way make labels .. etc earning MORE money and like this pirate downloads will decrease,

cause i see everyday people who goes to stores, buying DVD games, movies or music and thinking that it's an original and legal copy, but it's a pirated one, because this is the only thing they'll found all over the country, now imagine for a second those people buy DVD's for a reasonable price but this time it's really an original and legal copy, they don't need the book, gadgets and all stuffs like that, just enjoying the movie/game/music

EDIT :

Yes DeathMineral this is what i mean (perhaps my english is very bad :lol: ,so i'm sorry)

Edited by GoLLuM13

Eh, I don't feel like jumping in the flame wars here, but I will say this:

the $50-60 for video games is a completely arbitrary, and ridiculous price. Digital media isn't the same as other goods, in that it does not adhere to the laws of supply and demand. There is an infinite supply of digital media, but it's priced as though there is indeed a limit, which is false. If you steal something physical, say a toothbrush, you are taking a unit out of the supply that cannot be replaced without expending more resources. Digital media, on the other hand, takes 0 resources to reproduce, which I think is why some people have a valid argument in saying stealing a game =/= stealing a bike (or something else).

Eh, I don't feel like jumping in the flame wars here, but I will say this:

the $50-60 for video games is a completely arbitrary, and ridiculous price. Digital media isn't the same as other goods, in that it does not adhere to the laws of supply and demand. There is an infinite supply of digital media, but it's priced as though there is indeed a limit, which is false. If you steal something physical, say a toothbrush, you are taking a unit out of the supply that cannot be replaced without expending more resources. Digital media, on the other hand, takes 0 resources to reproduce, which I think is why some people have a valid argument in saying stealing a game =/= stealing a bike (or something else).

i totally agree with you, for persons who have 1000$ a month not 100$

and i can add that a physical media have lot of costs and charges, the media by itself, the prints of the covers, book, burning the media, the transport to the store ... etc but with the legally downloaded one, what do we have some servers that with or without the games are on

Edited by GoLLuM13

All im saying is this is why i work at a gamestop a discount and can rent any console games. And in the old days once a pc game got old enough they told us to just get rid of it. Sooo into my car they went. :) of course now the old games we half to destroy they watch us i cry a little at night because of it.