For all the would be software pirates.

InCrYsIs

Justifying piracy is the same as justifying speeding. Everything is a moral choice and no matter what, no one will have the same morals as everyone else. That''s the great thing about having a thought. I have no opinion either way on piracy. I don't do it because I have the $ to buy a game, not like it and bite it or sell it to my friend. The big companies are pretty bad no matter how you look at it. Granted some are no Apple but a lot are still pretty bad. No one here can say that they haven't been screwed by a company. I can see why people pirate and I can see why people do crime. I'll fight to defened their right to do it, but myself personally will not help them to do it.

Edited by Lord_Guy

A justification that never works, review sites are everywhere, you can get info on the game before buying even without a demo, no justification for being a thief.

Not to disagree with you at all, but just want to point out a lot of people seem to be too lazy to check out multiple reviews of a game, just in case they don't agree with the reviewer's tastes. A review is someone else giving some information, but mostly their opinion of a game, and you may very easily disagree with them. So instead of blindly thinking a single review is a perfect representation of the game, find other reviews and read them! This discussion reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHMnLs20bM

Also, don't trust game previews because the reviewer may not have gotten the full experience of the game. (I know this happened with Brink where the preview was getting a lot of people excited, and then it was released.) Second, remember that many games also get patched, which may not make it into a review. I can understand not wanting to spend the time to put a game through another review process, but there are a number of games that get a lot of new content after launch, and you'll never see that mentioned in a review or follow up. I don't mean DLC though, I mean the freely added content, like the recent patch to 1.1 of Terraria. Added a lot of new items and mechanics, and by defeating a new boss, the world changes and unlocks new bosses, monsters, and still more items. The new content may be mentioned as news on a site, but it isn't often reviewed.

TL:DR read multiple reviews and remember the issues a review points out, may be fixed with a patch, and new content can be added after the review which changes the game.

I see it as test driving a car. If I don't like it than I'm not going to buy it. They didn't lose a customer.

What the industry really needs to do is catch up with the times.

On the other hand, if it's $5 or less I'm probably going to buy it.

Actually, you could simply inform the judge of the need for secrecy of the method (makes sense because the less the pirates know the longer it will be before they crack it) and then the proceedings can be done behind closed doors and likely the documents of the court be somehow protected to keep the secret out. Really though, the judge just needs to be convinced the method is legal, which can be done in their chambers with both parties represented, and then the rest of the trial wouldn't be affected. No need to buy the judge when there are already methods to keep the secret safe.

I'll be honest, I had to read that a couple of times to understand it, I'm not very good at understanding the law, mainly because it doesn't make sense. :lol:

So with the hope that I do understand this, what prevents the defendant in this case from revealing the secret?

I own The Witcher 1. It's one of those in my pile of unfinished/unstarted games. I'm going to pirate The Witcher 2 just to spite them. They are now no better than the RIAA. The sooner they realize they will never stop piracy the sooner they will stop wasting their time and money in the wasted pursuit of it all. Them focusing on pirates does absolutely nothing to stop them. In fact it just makes it more fun and inviting for the pirates. "Oh you made up some half assed attempt to stop me? LOL look I cracked it hours after it hit the shelves."....seriously they need to just focus on making good games and people will want to buy them. Yes even some people that pirate games buy them afterwards too. The percent of pirates that won't buy it regardless? Deal with it. You won't stop them. Bunch of cry babies boohoo my game only sold 2,000,000 copies sniff sniff

I see your piracy and I raise, I will not only pirate their games, I will burn them and sell copies to all of my friends for $5 a pop! :lol:

No seriously, it's not even worth pirating from such a crappy company, if this company wants to treat other people like crap, I don't even want to support the pirating of their games, much less the purchasing of them. If game companies really want to stop piracy the proper way, I know the secret, all they have to do is ask people to not do it.

Honestly, it's not a hard concept, just politely ask pirates to not pirate it, or even ask them to pirate it and if they enjoy it, to go ahead and buy the game. You know who usually states that last part all the time? The people that crack the game. Seriously though, this works, can I prove it works? No, but I do believe it works.

I'm one of the developers of Zeno Clash. I would appreciate you read this if you are about to download this file.

Zeno Clash is an independently funded game by a very small and sacrificed group of people. The only way in which we can continue making games like this (or a sequel) is to have good sales.

I am aware that at this moment there is still no demo of the game, but we are working on one which will be available soon.

We cannot do anything to stop piracy of the game (and honestly don't intend to do so) but if you are downloading because you wish to try before you buy, I would ask that you purchase the game (and support the independent game development scene) if you enjoy it. We plan on updating Zeno Clash with DLC and continuing support for the game long after it's release.

Thanks for taking the time to read this... hopefully it will make a difference.

Carlos Bordeu

ACE Team

That's a quote from a torrent on TPB, I actually took that from someone that was not Carlos Bordeu, the person that posted it was just your average pirate. However that little snippet is actually from an older torrent, that is no longer on TPB but I personally saw it when it was still there and I saw it work, after that was posted, majority of the comments were from people saying they decided to buy the game instead of pirating. Did it work on everyone? No, some people probably still pirated it and never bought the game, they were probably never going to buy the game anyway.

What if we could rent pc games before we buy? Demos are terrible. That would great!

This should have already happened. I can't believe there is no PC game rental service. I would be all over that. I would want to be able to keep saves locally if I re-rent later though. I will have to do some reserch to see if there has been a thought or attempt at this when I have time.

Well then you are the minority because I think it is safe to say that most that "preview" never actually buy. However this does not change the fact that this is stealing even then. Seriously do you go to McDonalds and grab a hamburger and fries, eat them and then if you like them pay? Stealing is stealing and no amount of justification will counter this.

I'm not sure if that's safe to say at all. :P

And really? Going straight to a physical property analogy? We all know those don't work and simply spark nasty debates where both sides are firmly set in their ideas and nothing will sway them.

That being said, downloading something is not the same as stealing. I am not depriving anyone of anything by downloading a game to see if I like it or not. I'm not going to buy a game outright unless I know I'm going to like it and there aren't many games that satisfy that requirement without a demo.

We don't live in a world of black and white and I really don't understand why people try to shoehorn every single thing into one of two categories for "right" and "wrong". We live in a world where everything is a shade of gray. My opinion is that if people want to download a game to try it out before buying, when no demo is available, then they are clearly MUCH closer to the lighter side of the moral spectrum than not. :cheers:

Another admitted thief also looking for it being someone elses fault.

Replies like this only prove that you're not looking to actually discuss anything - you're just going to troll this into oblivion.

Edited by Waco

This should have already happened. I can't believe there is no PC game rental service. I would be all over that. I would want to be able to keep saves locally if I re-rent later though. I will have to do some reserch to see if there has been a thought or attempt at this when I have time.

I would love for that to happen, but I feel that would just be another piracy thing. Rent a game, install it, get a crack, $7 game. It still cost something but I think that it would be short lived due to the un-cool people that would do that.

I would love for that to happen, but I feel that would just be another piracy thing. Rent a game, install it, get a crack, $7 game. It still cost something but I think that it would be short lived due to the un-cool people that would do that.

The way EA and a few other companies operate you're already "renting" your game even though you've paid for it. :P

Edited by Waco

Have we come to an ultimatum yet? Or are we still tossing insults and generalisations, just like every other controversial topic? :P

The latter.

I wonder, for those who put the stealing of physical property right alongside copyright infringement, what if you've already bought the game and it doesn't work any more? IE: the pirated version will work, but the copy you own will not, due to incompatible DRM (this isn't exactly uncommon). Are you still stealing? :lol: