VaporX

RPG Hardcore

Skyrim has me really delving back into my RPG play style and I am wondering if anyone plays in hardcore mode. This goes by many names; Hardcore, Ironman or the currently popular name Dead is Dead.

For me I just began a new Skyrim roll. I am playing a Nord adventurer, this means his skills are very balanced, a jack of all trades as it were. I am currently at level 8 and moving slowly having just begun the Companion subset. I walk everywhere unless running makes sense for the character. The walk to Whiteriver took almost 9 hours in game. I have also dedicated to use no exploits, cheats or anything that is not purely within character for this toon. I have to admit that I expected this to be a bit boring but it is anything but. Every battle is a big deal and the slower pace has meant I am seeing a lot more of the world than I did before. For me this adds a new layer to the game.

Anyone else play this style?

I'll likely dabble in some hardcore style playing as you put it. Maybe not quite yet though, as I want to see what kind of mods come out once the creation kit for Skyrim is available. I know that there are plans for survival style mods, where you'll have to pay more attention to eating / drinking to stay alive and making combat much harder etc.

If anything like the plans here get implemented, then I'm sure you would enjoy it (and I think it'd be fun to play too).

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/462397-total-realism-overhaul/

Edited by jammin

Skyrim has nothing to offer that would encourage a Hardcore mode play through (or even a regular play through but anyways) unlike games like Diablo 2 where you had a ladder exclusively for the hardcore mode, you had items that were exclusive to hardcore mode etc. Not to mention that it took quite a bit of work to actually beat the game all the way through in hardcore. Basically, there was real incentive to play the game on an increased difficulty. Most games in recent history don't have that so it's basically a waste of time and effort to reaching an outcome that is exactly the same if the game was played in any other way. In addition, many games have unrefined gameplay mechanics which result in unfair deaths that have nothing to do with the skill of the player. There was such a similar issue in the witcher 2 where you could die while talking to NPCs so you had no control over your character and there was no way to know that you'd get killed if you said one thing and not the other.

tldr: i don't play hardcore mode cuz newer games are bad at implementing, don't have such an option to begin with, or are just badly made and dying isn't always the result of a mistake made by the player.

Skyrim has nothing to offer that would encourage a Hardcore mode play through (or even a regular play through but anyways) unlike games like Diablo 2 where you had a ladder exclusively for the hardcore mode, you had items that were exclusive to hardcore mode etc. Not to mention that it took quite a bit of work to actually beat the game all the way through in hardcore. Basically, there was real incentive to play the game on an increased difficulty. Most games in recent history don't have that so it's basically a waste of time and effort to reaching an outcome that is exactly the same if the game was played in any other way.

Sure there is something offered, the challenge of the play.

Skyrim has nothing to offer that would encourage a Hardcore mode play through (or even a regular play through but anyways) unlike games like Diablo 2 where you had a ladder exclusively for the hardcore mode, you had items that were exclusive to hardcore mode etc. Not to mention that it took quite a bit of work to actually beat the game all the way through in hardcore. Basically, there was real incentive to play the game on an increased difficulty. Most games in recent history don't have that so it's basically a waste of time and effort to reaching an outcome that is exactly the same if the game was played in any other way. In addition, many games have unrefined gameplay mechanics which result in unfair deaths that have nothing to do with the skill of the player. There was such a similar issue in the witcher 2 where you could die while talking to NPCs so you had no control over your character and there was no way to know that you'd get killed if you said one thing and not the other.

tldr: i don't play hardcore mode cuz newer games are bad at implementing, don't have such an option to begin with, or are just badly made and dying isn't always the result of a mistake made by the player.

tldr: sack_patrol whining about a game he doesn't like...without having played said game for any length of time...as if he knows everything about it.

Oh, also, DIAHBLOW TOOO IS THE BEST GAME EVER AND ALL OTHER GAMES ARE LIKE THE WORST GAMES EVAR!!!!. :lol:

Also - I used to run everywhere in Skyrim, but then I took an arrow in the knee. :D

Edited by Waco
  • Like 1

not that it would have changed my opinion about the game but I did play skyrim for a few days. Diablo 2 is an excellent game so I use it as a benchmark for RPGs.

DIAHBLOW TOOO IS THE BEST GAME EVER

^FACT^ :D

Anyway, I normally don't play hardcore mode myself, the prospect of dying and losing everything isn't terribly appealing to me in a game with a story or something like that, so basically any RPG. :lol: I do enjoy playing hardcore mode in Minecraft though, I can't say for sure why I enjoy it so much in that particular game but if I had to put it into a small phrase "the way it's meant to be played."

That's pretty much my reason for wanting to play it in hardcore mode, it was the way the creator really intended for it to work. I guess a lot of what plays into that is the fact that Minecraft also provides total freedom and you can do whatever you want, if you want to you can play it in god mode even, and it's not cheating, it's a feature, which I really like, in my opinion too many game makers try to prevent gamers from playing a game the way they find enjoyable these days. After playing the game in creative mode all the time though, it's really enjoyable to play it vanilla/the way it's meant to be played, kind of like getting a cheap thrill but then you just want to go back to normalcy.

Diablo 2 is an excellent game so I use it as a benchmark for RPGs.

I hate to break it to ya...but Diablo 2 is not an RPG. :unsure:

Thank you, finally. :lol:

I'm just enjoying going through Skyrim and seeing everything there is. I never bothered with the hardcore mode in New Vegas because it just seemed too much like real life. I prefer to play games to have fun, not worry about having to sleep, eat, and drink regularly.

I'm just enjoying going through Skyrim and seeing everything there is.

Ditto. I find it amazing that I can be set on a specific goal, quest, whatever, and still get sidetracked for an hour doing random crap and just taking in the sights. :lol:

What is it then Action RPG? Hack/Slash RPG? It's sort of different from the other games that are similar to it but this is besides the point. Diablo 2 and Skyrim both feature skill trees, different sorts of characters, leveling up, inventory and so forth. Only real difference is that one is meant to be played in first person, even though you can switch to third person, and the other is only third person..and is multiplayer too (this results in some other little differences, but anyways), so the 2 games are quite comparable. Not to mention that we're discussing Hardcore mode in games and Diablo 2 is the prefect example of that difficulty mode being executed very well.

Edited by sack_patrol