I need help!

Drewy Juice

I clocked it back down to 4.0 until i can get the new cooling unit. just having trouble choosing one. I have always used stock coolers in the past but never pushed anything (or have been able to) this far where temps were more of an issue that my storm sniper case could handle alone. This chip is a beast, it overclocks so well. My old phenom II 810 was a 2.6 stock I could only get that to 3.2 ghz never any higher, but this one..... omg its amazing

Edited by Drewy Juice

getting it to boot at and being stable are two different things

I am aware, the only issues I have had so far are temps but its hard to test when I cant maintain a good operating temp. I am not concerned about price I just want a great cooling unit regardless.

Keep in mind, if it is shutting down on you, the CPU isn't stable - not a good idea to run it at that frequency if you're experiencing something like this, as it may damage your CPU if you don't know what is happening to the voltages (assuming you left them on auto). If you don't want to worry about height clearance issues with heat sinks and such, I would recommend something like an H60 or H70. They have really simple installation and you don't really have to worry about them, since they are both "self-contained liquid cooling" systems. Basically, they require no maintenance unlike traditional water cooling systems you're thinking about. If you want to stick with air cooling, go with the NH-D14 if you want the best of the best, though you will be fine with something like the Corsair A70 (which can be had for pretty cheap these days).

Also when overclocking, go at steady increments. You really don't want to jump straight in at 5Ghz. Start off with 3.8, then 4.0, and go up from there. Every time, run something like Prime95 for an hour or two to make sure it's stable. When it gets unstable (i.e. blue screens, system freezes, etc), increase your CPU voltage by a bit. Personally for a mild overclock, I would go up to 1.35V-1.4V at most. Unless you're doing something really intensive, there's no point running your system at 5GHz 24/7 at 1.55V or something - that would have the thing spew out heat like no tomorrow (and may shorten the CPU lifespan if you really put your voltages that high for long-term use). Take note, I would definitely not leave your CPU or RAM voltage at auto, because they tend to go higher than what you need a lot of the time. When you get to a frequency that you're comfortable with, run Prime95 for at least 6-10 hours. A good amount of people who recommend running it for 24 hours, but I found my CPU stable enough after about 10 hours (granted, my i7 920 is only 'mildly' overclocked). If you want to be safe, go for 24 hours.

At the same time, watch your load temperatures. The highest they should go is 60 degrees. Any higher than that, and you should lower your voltages and frequency.

Also, make sure your RAM frequencies are kept at stock while you're doing this - it makes the process easier when you need to troubleshoot why the system is unstable.

Keep in mind, if it is shutting down on you, the CPU isn't stable - not a good idea to run it at that frequency if you're experiencing something like this, as it may damage your CPU if you don't know what is happening to the voltages (assuming you left them on auto). If you don't want to worry about height clearance issues with heat sinks and such, I would recommend something like an H60 or H70. They have really simple installation and you don't really have to worry about them, since they are both "self-contained liquid cooling" systems. Basically, they require no maintenance unlike traditional water cooling systems you're thinking about. If you want to stick with air cooling, go with the NH-D14 if you want the best of the best, though you will be fine with something like the Corsair A70 (which can be had for pretty cheap these days).

Also when overclocking, go at steady increments. You really don't want to jump straight in at 5Ghz. Start off with 3.8, then 4.0, and go up from there. Every time, run something like Prime95 for an hour or two to make sure it's stable. When it gets unstable (i.e. blue screens, system freezes, etc), increase your CPU voltage by a bit. Personally for a mild overclock, I would go up to 1.35V-1.4V at most. Unless you're doing something really intensive, there's no point running your system at 5GHz 24/7 at 1.55V or something - that would have the thing spew out heat like no tomorrow (and may shorten the CPU lifespan if you really put your voltages that high for long-term use). Take note, I would definitely not leave your CPU or RAM voltage at auto, because they tend to go higher than what you need a lot of the time. When you get to a frequency that you're comfortable with, run Prime95 for at least 6-10 hours. A good amount of people who recommend running it for 24 hours, but I found my CPU stable enough after about 10 hours (granted, my i7 920 is only 'mildly' overclocked). If you want to be safe, go for 24 hours.

At the same time, watch your load temperatures. The highest they should go is 60 degrees. Any higher than that, and you should lower your voltages and frequency.

Also, make sure your RAM frequencies are kept at stock while you're doing this - it makes the process easier when you need to troubleshoot why the system is unstable.

Which coolers are going to lower the temp the most. I just got done reading about those self contained water coolers. Are they any better than the top of the line air coolers? also I did bump voltage levels. here are my settings i used.

CPU multiplier 20.5

Bus speed 247

1.488 vcore

ht link and FSB i tried to keep as close to 2400 as possible

NB voltage 1.3

ram voltage 1.6 (regular is 1.5 at 1600 but it was not booting at that)

I also disabled turbo core cool and quiet all those annoying features that seem to mess with my attempts.

Also I was able to get a solid clock speed of 4.6 as well but that was with a small voltage increase. Then I started noticing the temps. This thing gives off some godly heat.

Edited by Drewy Juice

Which coolers are going to lower the temp the most. I just got done reading about those self contained water coolers. Are they any better than the top of the line air coolers? also I did bump voltage levels. here are my settings i used.

CPU multiplier 20.5

Bus speed 247

1.488 vcore

ht link and FSB i tried to keep as close to 2400 as possible

NB voltage 1.3

ram voltage 1.6 (regular is 1.5 at 1600 but it was not booting at that)

I also disabled turbo core cool and quiet all those annoying features that seem to mess with my attempts.

Also I was able to get a solid clock speed of 4.6 as well but that was with a small voltage increase. Then I started noticing the temps. This thing gives off some godly heat.

Cool and quiet shouldn't really affect how high you can go with your overclock. I usually turn stuff like that back on after I know I'm stable. If you want the best cooler, go with the NH-D14. Make sure it fits in your case first though. For pure ease-of-use, I'd say go for the H70 or H100 though. They may not perform as well, but they make the process much much easier. If you can't get cooler temperatures right now, don't try to get a stable overclock yet - the CPU isn't going to stable enough at 4.6 with the stock cooler versus an after market one. Wait until you get a better cooler first, before attempting anything substantial. I'd say you should stick at 3.8-4.0 at the moment. And even then, run Prime95 for a good amount of time before going further.

Cool and quiet shouldn't really affect how high you can go with your overclock. I usually turn stuff like that back on after I know I'm stable. If you want the best cooler, go with the NH-D14. Make sure it fits in your case first though. For pure ease-of-use, I'd say go for the H70 or H100 though. They may not perform as well, but they make the process much much easier. If you can't get cooler temperatures right now, don't try to get a stable overclock yet - the CPU isn't going to stable enough at 4.6 with the stock cooler versus an after market one. Wait until you get a better cooler first, before attempting anything substantial. I'd say you should stick at 3.8-4.0 at the moment. And even then, run Prime95 for a good amount of time before going further.

Yes. OP, Don't even worry about OC'ng anything until you get a new HS/F . . . The Noctua NH-D14 is huge, but really does the job well. I have an older Corsair H50 and it's great, cheap, and you can tell your friends it's wattercooled :P:evilgrin:

The Corsair H100 is great as well, right up there with D-14. I recommend getting one of those. Just make sure the Noctua fits first, it.is.massive.

I posted a pic of AMD overdrive screenshot

If it isn't stress test min 3 hrs Prime95 blend, it ain't stable baby. The FX chips DO NOT get 5 GHz stable on all 8 cores. 1 or 2 if your lucky. 4.6-4.8GHz is definitely possible on all 8 cores. I have mega hours testing it.

Edited by Drdeath

Noctua NH-D14

Looks like that's going to be my choice. Ordered and should arrive by Christmas! I appreciate everyone giving me their feedback, you all have been extremely helpful. I will post back with results after it is install and OCed!