What to do with my i7 2700K?

Well, with some good trades, I basically got a BNIB i7 2700K for $150... or I got a free upgrade from my i5 2500K and $20.

However, I have a problem, albeit a good one to have.

It's a really efficient overclocker. So far I'm at 4.9GHz at 1.4V's. My good i7 2600K (after having tried 2 others) gets 4.9GHz stable at the same settings and board at 1.465Vcore.

So here are my two options:

1. Keep the i7 2700K on my secondary computer where the watercooling loop isn't that great (dual stack 120.2's), thus I can keep my load temps below 72C.

or

2. Switch the i7 2600K to the secondary computer and just run it at lower voltages with a lower overclock while keeping the load temps below 72C and move the i7 2700K to my main computer and try and run it 24/7 at 5GHz+ with decent voltages and load temps still below 72C.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5ghz + bench it then if you use both rigs lots then go the even overclocks.

I use my main one for gaming more, but both for work and photo/video stuff. It's nice to game on one computer and have stuff working on the other at the same time. I guess I'll keep them both at 4.9GHz, a 100MHz - 300MHz bump 24/7 isn't going to do too much.

I use my main one for gaming more, but both for work and photo/video stuff. It's nice to game on one computer and have stuff working on the other at the same time. I guess I'll keep them both at 4.9GHz, a 100MHz - 300MHz bump 24/7 isn't going to do too much.

Still need some benches on how high you can get that thing tho :happy:

OR just run it stock.... thats what all us Cool kids do.... ;)

Thats what what all you old guys do :P

Move it over to your main GTX580 SLI rig and tyr get 5GHz :)

Thats what what all you old guys do :P

Move it over to your main GTX580 SLI rig and tyr get 5GHz :)

I digress....it is true us "old" people just cant be bothered to do things that distract us from our napping time ;)

Honestly, I like running my system stock sometimes, that 2700K is good clocker, 4.9 with only 1.4v? My 2600K @ 5Ghz needs at least 1.47 - 1.48. I'm just praying when the new i7 3770K IB comes out can OC 5Ghz with less than 1.4v. 24/7.