dual ssds

Muchoman1

About TRIM in RAID0 check out this link.

The release notes state:

2. This release will not enable the TRIM on RAID0 feature, but it will be added in the next RST 11.5 release. Contact your RST AE representative with questions.

So the next release 11.5 RST (we are now at 10.8) will enable TRIM for RAID0. Also if you do a RAID0 on an Intel controller, be sure to set the stripe size to 16k, since that is what Intel recommends.

so i think the 240gb of raid 0 goodness will be very nice, especially when it comes in at around $360

noone got any better ideas? cause im heading out to buy them in a couple of hours

Where are you buying from? And do they ship aus wide at a decent price?

I need a new SSD and every bit saved is good.

Also hurry up and update your worklog I want to see some more of that desk.

Where are you buying from? And do they ship aus wide at a decent price?

I need a new SSD and every bit saved is good.

Also hurry up and update your worklog I want to see some more of that desk.

i actually picked them up from my local store, Austin Computers. they were on sale there and cause i bought plenty of parts (building a system for a friend) i got an even bigger bargain

ssds are going in now, in raid 0, and i got my 2tb raid 1 hdds going back in, so i will have 240gb of uberfast storage and 2tb of backed up stuff, when hdd prices go back down iwill get a 3rd hdd for 4tb raid 5

and i will be painting desk again tomorrow, so i will upload pics then. sadly progress has been slow but with the time the sr3 and 7970s are coming out it will all be fine, also i will have to wait for waterblocks for both ='(

Very true which is why I am not fussed about my next build and when it starts because I wont get my waterblocks all too soon.

Also still think you are crazy for going the sr3 :P should do two builds imo but oh well watercooled sr3 lit up under glass will look so badass.

Gotten a quote yet for cost of cutting the glass? Thats going to be pretty costly.

Very true which is why I am not fussed about my next build and when it starts because I wont get my waterblocks all too soon.

Also still think you are crazy for going the sr3 :P should do two builds imo but oh well watercooled sr3 lit up under glass will look so badass.

Gotten a quote yet for cost of cutting the glass? Thats going to be pretty costly.

the glass is my window remember? im building the desk around the size of the glass to avoid that cost.

and yes, the black and red sr3 with black desk and red tubing with uv and red cathodes will look boss

The speed gain that will be achieved in data to day use will be minimal unless you plan to do a lot of video editing or rendering. A RAID is not just not that big of gain when you figure the risk to the data. I run dual SSDs but I run one as the OS/APP drive and one as the Data drive. I get the increased storage space you are after and if one fails I do not lose everything.

I run dual SSDs but I run one as the OS/APP drive and one as the Data drive. I get the increased storage space you are after and if one fails I do not lose everything.

Windows backup is super easy. ;)

You will be running almost the same ssd/hdd config as me. 2 in raid 0 and 3 in raid 5 (when you get the 3rd drive)

I did a bench mark when l first installed the drives and then l did a bench a year later. The drives have not changed at all in speed. Even at 1 point l had my ssd almost 100% full, had like 4GB free of 110GB. (l got 10GB set as non allocated).

Im now on year 2 now, just upgraded my motherboard and ram. Got an extra 50mb a sec from the switch. Been working great so far.

Also l have all my temp folders on my raid 5 appose to my ssd, to help with small read/writes.

You will be running almost the same ssd/hdd config as me. 2 in raid 0 and 3 in raid 5 (when you get the 3rd drive)

I did a bench mark when l first installed the drives and then l did a bench a year later. The drives have not changed at all in speed. Even at 1 point l had my ssd almost 100% full, had like 4GB free of 110GB. (l got 10GB set as non allocated).

Im now on year 2 now, just upgraded my motherboard and ram. Got an extra 50mb a sec from the switch. Been working great so far.

Also l have all my temp folders on my raid 5 appose to my ssd, to help with small read/writes.

Yeah, im going to change my mobo to the SR3, which will have an intel sata 3 chip, compared to the marvel chip I got now, so should help with speeds. I'll post some benches when I put the ssd in tomorrow, still moving to old data atm

Thanks to the OP. I would like to setup a RAID 0 with two SSD's when I have saved enough money. I'm hoping SSD prices will fall faster next year. Good luck with this! You'll have an awesomely fast machine for gaming, for sure. :)