1500W PSU enough?! Lol

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could quite easily creep over 750W if heavily overclocked on the processor and graphics cards. If you game heavily for long periods and want maximum efficiency from the power supply, low noise and temperatures, then 1500W is a sensible option.

If you just want it to work and a little fan noise isn't a problem then a 1050~1200W power supply is another option and may keep that oft used word overkill at bay?

The Cosair AX1200 would be a great choice.

Not a lot of 1500 watt PSU out there, but this is one highly recommended.

:withstupid:

Silverstone Striders are beast, this Silverstone Strider Gold 1200watt 80+ is what I am thinking of for my next build.

It is also cheaper and far better imo than the AX1200 from corsair. You can get it after MIR for $260

Edited by Stonerboy779

This is probably a dumb question, but I just wanna be like 9999999% sure cause a bad PSU can fry your system. Can a single 1500 PSU put out enough power to supply a 3960X, dual 6990's, 4x 2.5" HDD's, a 2.5" SSD, a Swiftech MCP655, a slew of fans, and peripherals (like keyboard, mouse, Blu-ray writer) and still have some extra power available to get a decent overclock on the CPU, memory, and maybe GPU's (I've never tried overclocking GPU's so I'm a little skittish on that one).

Even if you don't need all that capacity right now it gives you a lot of room for upgrades, esp since it will probably be compatible with things you'll get years from now.

Not a lot of 1500 watt PSU out there, but this is one highly recommended.

The Silverstone is a great power supply by all accounts but you may also like to consider the Enermax 1350W. The Thermaltake 1350W performed very well but it's too expensive!

I'm sure the AX1200 would fit the bill but if you want the extra headroom then it's your money so get whatever makes you happy! ;)

Seconded. There is absolutely no NEED for a 1500W PSU.

There's no need for a 4 Litre V6 engine in a car either but that doesn't mean you can't! :P

Now here's something that might make the difference. At what wattage do PSU's go from the short design to the long design?

It's usually 1000W and above when the cases start getting longer but that's something you'll have to check yourself. ;)

:withstupid:

Indeed, there isn't a point where all PSU's suddenly switch to longer than standard designs, though as Paul points out, it is usually around the 1000W mark.

There are PSUs below that rating that are longer and some pretty short 1000W units from what I remember.

What matters is the specific unit you are looking at (which I think applies to PSUs in general anyway).