Cheap $300 build

Alexandre

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has asked me to look into getting parts for a new computer he plans on building for his dad. It will be used mainly for surfing the net, writing documents, etc - not stuff that is too CPU or GPU intensive.

They have a screen, keyboard and mouse and I am looking at getting Windows 7 Pro for ~$100 using a university student discount (he's a fellow uni student) so all he needs is the box and goodies inside.

The following are the shops which we are looking to buy our parts from: Getright Computers, Allneeds Computers, MSY Technology

The budget is: $300 AUD - I know a fair amount about higher end components (after being on these forums for a year :thumbsup: ) but for lower end stuff I'm very much a noob/rookie which is why I need your help.

So I'm looking for a:

1) CPU (hopefully one with on board graphics - so we don't need to buy a card)

2) MOBO

3) RAM (Is 2gb enough or better go 4 gb?)

4) PSU (about 450 - 500W range?)

5) HDD (<= 500 gb will do)

6) L-Cheapo case

7) DVD Recorder

Appreciate any help you guys can give! :cheers:

Yeah, a cheap laptop will cover all of that and the OS. You can get a dual core with a cheapo GPU that will even play some games for pretty cheap.

Hell, if he isn't doing anything specific you could almost get him a netbook.

A Sandy Bridge Pentium such as the G620 should be enough. To put it in perspective, my father has a PC with a Core 2 Pentium and my father in law has a Pentium D, and they're both still okay for their needs. A G620 is even enough of a base for a cheap gaming system, IMO.

Find a cheap MB to go with it (the minimal checking I did at the stores you linked to found the top one here. I'd search for reviews just to see if there's no particular problem, but lack of features or slightly worse performance isn't something you should care about.

For RAM I'd go for 4GB. 2GB is usable, but RAM can have an effect on performance more than the CPU can there's not enough of it, and web browsers can take quite a bit of it. The difference in price is only about $15 at Allneeds, so that's not much.

For PSU, anything will work. That CPU is has a 65W power envelope, and the rest of the system won't take that much, so even 300W or below will work. While a generic PSU isn't recommended for system longevity, I worked with such PSU's until my current build and rarely had problems with them. They can easily die when taxed, but if you don't come close to the spec they can work for years.

Mate why no love for pccg, mwave or estore.

Finally with what he wan't it for there are a metric-crap-ton of laptop sales on atm in harvey, dick smith, good guys, jb not to mention stores like MLN.

Yeah, a cheap laptop will cover all of that and the OS. You can get a dual core with a cheapo GPU that will even play some games for pretty cheap.

Hell, if he isn't doing anything specific you could almost get him a netbook.

Sorry guys, forgot to mention that we live in Adelaide and are looking to buy local. I'll check out the sites you gave however Stonerboy to see if we can find a good deal - though I doubt the postage will make it any cheaper compared to local prices.

I suggested the laptop option to him too but he said his dad wanted a desktop. I will ask him again however if it turns out to be the cheaper option.

A Sandy Bridge Pentium such as the G620 should be enough. To put it in perspective, my father has a PC with a Core 2 Pentium and my father in law has a Pentium D, and they're both still okay for their needs. A G620 is even enough of a base for a cheap gaming system, IMO.

Find a cheap MB to go with it (the minimal checking I did at the stores you linked to found the top one here. I'd search for reviews just to see if there's no particular problem, but lack of features or slightly worse performance isn't something you should care about.

For RAM I'd go for 4GB. 2GB is usable, but RAM can have an effect on performance more than the CPU can there's not enough of it, and web browsers can take quite a bit of it. The difference in price is only about $15 at Allneeds, so that's not much.

For PSU, anything will work. That CPU is has a 65W power envelope, and the rest of the system won't take that much, so even 300W or below will work. While a generic PSU isn't recommended for system longevity, I worked with such PSU's until my current build and rarely had problems with them. They can easily die when taxed, but if you don't come close to the spec they can work for years.

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill look into them and post back any questions/thoughts when I get a bit more time to check it out. :thumbsup:

Sorry guys, forgot to mention that we live in Adelaide and are looking to buy local. I'll check out the sites you gave however Stonerboy to see if we can find a good deal - though I doubt the postage will make it any cheaper compared to local prices.

I suggested the laptop option to him too but he said his dad wanted a desktop. I will ask him again however if it turns out to be the cheaper option.

First stores I mentioned ship aus wide.

There are some emachines laptops with either a amd dual core or intel dual core (2.2ghz) and a amd 5470m 2 gb ram (can be upgraded if need be) win 7 home premium and 500gb HDD at $400 from officeworks and dick smith.

My old toshiba lappy had similar specs just a slightly better gpu and for large periods of time I had it sitting on a usb cooler matt with my wireless keyboard and mouse as well as 24" monitor all hooked up to it just using it as a perfectly capable desktop replacement that i could also take with me if need be.

Ok guys. Here's an update on the process:

I've looked at a few stores given above and Allneeds seem to provide the best price most of the time.

Came up with the following components:

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 Dual Core, LGA1155 @ 2.6 GHz with Integrated GPU = $72 OR Intel i3 2100 Dual Core with HT @3.1 GHz and Integrated GPU (look at other CPU for LINK) = $124

MOBO: Asus P8H61-M-LE USB3 microATX = $79 - Makes it upgradable for newer SB processors if needed in the future.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2Gx2 DDR3 1333 = $31

DVD: Samsung DVD RW Dual Layer SATA = $19

PSU: Corsair CX430 V2 (or V1 - not sure need to ask them but V1 is still pretty decent) = $59 - Best deal for a good quality PSU IMO

HDD: Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm HDD = $110 - Expensive eh? Thank you floods :glare:

CASE: Already got it a microATX one.

OS: Windows Vista (already got it) thus we have +$100 to spend since he doesn't need a new OS -> Budget = $400 AUD

TOTAL: $370 AUD OR $422 AUD with i3 2100 (slightly over :()

NOTE: Still have to check stock availability

A tight budget makes finding a good comp a pretty decent challenge. I like it!

Let me know if the chosen components this looks alright.

Thanks a tonne guys! :cheers:

Edit: Spelling :P

Edited by Alexandre

Seagate barracuda or WD Green 1TB HDDs for $119 + $12 shipping

Add the CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W for $59 and total shipping becomes $19 to Adelaide.

I know you will be spending more but the extra 70 watts and extra 500GB is imo worth the extra $30 ($178 + $19 shipping, apposed to $167) especially considering next business day shipping.

Personally I would choose the Barracuda too because 7200rpm>5400rpm.

Thanks for your reply Stonerboy

I don't think switching to the Coolermaster PSU for the extra 70W will be the better option in the end.

A few reasons:

1) Part of the extra 70W is distributed into the 3.3V and 5V rails rather than the 12 volt rails where it is needed more.

2) It's not 80+ certified and advertises >70% efficiency.

3) Hasn't got active PFC - a bit of a moot point from our perspective but what this really shows is that its an older design (the inclusion of a -5V rail gives a hint to this too).

4) The computer we are planning on getting will need a maximum of 200W to run (due to no graphics card) so 430W is plenty and leaves room for upgrade if need be. Not much room I agree but I doubt this computer will ever have a graphics card in it.

As for the HDD - considering what this computer is getting used for and the fact that they have never used more than 120GB in their previous one, it looks like they won't be needing a 1TB HDD and if they will need more space, then it would be better to buy the extra storage later when the prices have dropped. Also we can get a 1TB for 129 bucks here locally which still turns out to be cheaper then $119 + Postage.

Thanks for trying to squeeze out more bang for the buck but I don't think it will be worth it in the end given the tightness of the budget :(

Peace :cheers:

As for the HDD - considering what this computer is getting used for and the fact that they have never used more than 120GB in their previous one, it looks like they won't be needing a 1TB HDD and if they will need more space, then it would be better to buy the extra storage later when the prices have dropped. Also we can get a 1TB for 129 bucks here locally which still turns out to be cheaper then $119 + Postage.

Thanks for trying to squeeze out more bang for the buck but I don't think it will be worth it in the end given the tightness of the budget :(

Peace :cheers:

:lol: I have 2x 1tb external HDDs filled with a back up each of my 600GB music collection (true I have about 80GB in double ups atm... been meaning to fix it). My windows install and the programs I call crucial hit 120GB on their own... :pfp: what do some people do with their PCs haha

Either way props to you for having such a great store locally, wish I had a store like that.... wait I got PCCG 20mins away :lol:

Shipping is always an annoying factor and have fun building. Looks like you have already found the best deals.

:cheers:

:lol: I have 2x 1tb external HDDs filled with a back up each of my 600GB music collection (true I have about 80GB in double ups atm... been meaning to fix it). My windows install and the programs I call crucial hit 120GB on their own... :pfp: what do some people do with their PCs haha

Haha that's one nice collection of music my friend. The more space we have the more we use eh?

Mate, HDD prices are annoying to say the least atm! Hopefully if I stare at gumtree long enough ill find a good deal on there :lol:

If we could just save a bit of money here and there - then we can get the better CPU :evilgrin:

Haha that's one nice collection of music my friend. The more space we have the more we use eh?

Mate, HDD prices are annoying to say the least atm! Hopefully if I stare at gumtree long enough ill find a good deal on there :lol:

If we could just save a bit of money here and there - then we can get the better CPU :evilgrin:

Is it possible to reuse their old HDD or do you have any you could at least lend or sell them one of your own? Then you could get something a bit better cpu wise.