Noctua D-14 & X58 UD3R Weird Temps? Or Norm?

cmaki2001

Ok so I tried the 3.8 at 1.35v I disabled the power saving options under cpu but it had one that I had no idea if it was power saving or not so I left it enabled.

It got upto like 82c in like 5 minutes. I've noticed it usually doesn't go much higher then what it does at load for me than whatever shows up the first five. I'll be honest it scared me because I think that's a little high c?

Another thing is that my ram is running at lower then the specs when I put it on auto. So if I have to downclock my ram to get a stable oc is it even worth it to oc?

I don't know just seems hot and I dont get why I cant just manually set my ram settings would that make it unstable? I was surprised it booted because I don't really understand the bios settings but ya that was scary, im a wimp lol.

edit: very sweet pics btw ;)

That does seem a little warm but every I7 is different. Heck on Air both my I7's performed poorly. It was basically water cooling or nothing.

Here is that link to a good guide I promised you. I7 Guide. Its the one I learned on, read it through and refer to it as needed and At the lower section it has a BSOD code guide to help you out when you actually have a BSOD that is giving you trouble.

Just remember that Every I7 is different. This I7 950 I'm using right now is running relatively cold for 3.60GHZ at roughly 60c under prime 95 blend for a few hours when my older 920 would be that at 2.80 under the same cooling. :lol:

Good luck and go overclock it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there Alex. Though we lost you there for a while so its great to see you back.

One thing I forgot to mention is a lot of time you will run into settings that are commonly used for certain clocks. I just refer to them as screw checking and doing what is right settings. I start with baby steps as there is no manic settings that work for every chip as they are all individual and different. Set everything to the factory default, set the CPU multi to the highest it will go. 21 22 23 or 24 and start working the base clock or bclk up 10-20 MHz at a time and test for system stability. After an hour or two of prime95 being stable with no errors up the bclk once more. Keep doing this until it will not boot or gives you a bsod. After that refer to that guide I showed and 99% of the time that will be the right adjustment to regain stability. That should hold you over for a day worth if working it to 4.00ghz.

Awesome guides guys, I really appreciate it. What would you guys consider max temp for best cpu life? 1.35v @ how much c? Just my guess, I'm off to Austin until Christmas. When I get back i'm going to read those guides real thoroughly. I can't stress how great it is to have a community like yours. Also please have a safe and happy holidays guys!

Cole.

Thanks a bunch cmak. You have a merry Christmas also. I didn't have my 920 long enough to call it a long time but I think under or at 1.35v CPU core and below 80c would be great. Less the 75 or lower would be even better. It just depends on how far you want to push it. My i7 lasted a year and is still ticking away using 1.37v core at 4.20 and 1.41v qpi. It just varies so much from chip to chip that there is no way to tell.

My thoughts. BoinkeR.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch cmak. You have a merry Christmas also. I didn't have my 920 long enough to call it a long time but I think under or at 1.35v CPU core and below 80c would be great. Less the 75 or lower would be even better. It just depends on how far you want to push it. My i7 lasted a year and is still ticking away using 1.37v core at 4.20 and 1.41v qpi. It just varies so much from chip to chip that there is no way to tell.

My thoughts. BoinkeR.

Just got back from my Christmas and looks like i'll be driving back down to Austin on Friday but i'll get to it when I get back. I think I see why the guys were telling me to get the i5 with the multiplier unlocked now eh? Just makes it easier?

Can't wait to see what the Ivy bridge is capable of, how bout you guys? Everyone have a great Christmas? I did hope you guys did too.

Edited by cmaki2001

Just got back from my Christmas and looks like i'll be driving back down to Austin on Friday but i'll get to it when I get back. I think I see why the guys were telling me to get the i5 with the multiplier unlocked now eh? Just makes it easier?

Can't wait to see what the Ivy bridge is capable of, how bout you guys? Everyone have a great Christmas? I did hope you guys did too.

We are all looking forward to that ivy. I mayupgrade but not sure. Depends on how badly it smokes an i7 950 @ 4.10 in games and stuff. How has the overclocking gone. I just got my 950 up to 4.11 and looking to push to 4.30 or better. How is yours doing??

Awesome guides guys, I really appreciate it. What would you guys consider max temp for best cpu life? 1.35v @ how much c? Just my guess, I'm off to Austin until Christmas. When I get back i'm going to read those guides real thoroughly. I can't stress how great it is to have a community like yours. Also please have a safe and happy holidays guys!

Cole.

The OCC community was always the best. It was like it back when I first joined in 2003 and still is to this day. There's always someone to help and answer your questions. Have fun OCing, I remember first when I started OCing it was soo exciting and also terrifying. :)