Noctua D-14 & X58 UD3R Weird Temps? Or Norm?

cmaki2001

Yes, always keep them ON.

Saw the screenshot provided by you. Temprature looks OK to me. You can continue overclocking without any problem. :thumbsup:

Although if you want, wait for valuable input from other members.

I've already learned so much this is nuts. I see why people overclock I couldn't quite understand at first. The benchmarks show like 5 frames extra or whatever but I just think its fun to test your hardware.

Kinda like tuning your car making it yours you know? You guys are freaking great I'm going to give the thread a day or two to sit and see what all knowledge is dropped because this is crazy as is.

I have one scary though though because the i7's have the "pci controller" built into it does that effect 3d card performance or will it mess with that?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, always keep them ON.

Saw the screenshot provided by you. Temprature looks OK to me. You can continue overclocking without any problem. :thumbsup:

Although if you want, wait for valuable input from other members.

I've already learned so much this is nuts. I see why people overclock I couldn't quite understand at first. The benchmarks show like 5 frames extra or whatever but I just think its fun to test your hardware.

Kinda like tuning your car making it yours you know? You guys are freaking great I'm going to give the thread a day or two to sit and see what all knowledge is dropped because this is crazy as is.

I have one scary though though because the i7's have the "pci controller" built into it does that effect 3d card performance or will it mess with that?

edit.

p.s boinker you rule bro.

Trust me, I do know what you mean by tunning a car. When you get to understand the inner workings of something, you start to feel like you are more connected to it in a way. It almost becomes more dependable, which is always a great feeling to have with a computer, car, or other.

The Pci controller should not be affected at all. Like Boinker said, it can only help really. If you really feel like it could affect the performance of your card, just overclock your graphics card. It is a quick way to fix any sort of speed issue with a GPU :biggrin: .

Trust me, there is absolutley nothing scary about overclocking. As long as you keep everything with in reasonable limits, and follow the baby step principal, you should be fine. The only thing that will scare you is when your computer wont post, but you should just be able to turn it on after a couple of tries, so DON'T PANIC.

Trust me, I do know what you mean by tunning a car. When you get to understand the inner workings of something, you start to feel like you are more connected to it in a way. It almost becomes more dependable, which is always a great feeling to have with a computer, car, or other.

The Pci controller should not be affected at all. Like Boinker said, it can only help really. If you really feel like it could affect the performance of your card, just overclock your graphics card. It is a quick way to fix any sort of speed issue with a GPU :biggrin: .

Trust me, there is absolutley nothing scary about overclocking. As long as you keep everything with in reasonable limits, and follow the baby step principal, you should be fine. The only thing that will scare you is when your computer wont post, but you should just be able to turn it on after a couple of tries, so DON'T PANIC.

Agreed, I wasn't saying it would affect performance I was just asking really. Didn't know if it would be positive or negative or if I had to disable/enable something bios is like messy. I'm gonna spend the next day or two reading up on whatever guide that is linked and then cross my fingers and hope i'm not a idiot.

It's not that I think overclocking is dangerous if you do it right, its that I think I might forget to do something that would be considered common sense and mess it up. This is the first pc i've ever built by myself I thought that was pretty cool. I know I want to build cpu's for a living I know personally I wouldn't be comfortable until I know I can overclock computers because I know some customers might want it and if I don't know how to do it i'll look like a idiot. Plus pure curiosity I remember oc'ing my 480 and seeing it jump up another 10 or so frames in a benchmark had a weird sense of accomplishment knowing I could make something work better if I tinkered with it. Yes I know oc'ing a gpu is a joke and easy but it was hard for me at first. *insert billy madison quote here I think i'm more obsessed with the bio's settings , me doing that wrong. Hyper threading is ok but no turbo boost right.

Overclocking a You is a lot like the CPU just less settings involved you are able to change and greater limitations. Getting 20% out of a gpu on aircooling is phenomenal. Getting only 20% out of a CPU I would be a little upset. My last i7 920 when it was newer made it to 4.40 ghz 24 hours stable after a lot of tweaking and that's well over a 50% overclock. And its much cheaper then the i7 975 extreme and overclocks about the same. Win win. :) that is what overclocking is about. If you are looking for high CPU and gpu overclocks then watercooling is going to be the best option. I got almost a 30% overclock out of my gtx480 on water and I could barely get a 10% out of it. Just an idea.

I have a 930 with a Gigabyte X58 UD3 and it is simple as 123 to overclock. Leave all voltages on auto except the CPU vcore. Disable turbo, C1E, C6 and all power saving featured. Leave memory on AUTO. The difference between 920's and 930's is the multi. With turbo disabled, the multi goes higher on 930's. The optimal multi on 920 is 19 and 21 on a 930. That said, higher multi's need a little less voltage so my voltage perameters may be slightly less on a 920 compared to a 930.

Put your multi at 19 as these processors prefer odd multiplers. Adjust you BClock accrordingly...

4 GHz should need about 1.35~1.375v or so

4.2GHz should need 1.375~1.4v or so.

Run Prime95 on blend. Load temps should not go much over 80 and run prime95 for 3 hrs. If temps are too high, lower voltage and overclock.

good luck.

I have a 930 with a Gigabyte X58 UD3 and it is simple as 123 to overclock. Leave all voltages on auto except the CPU vcore. Disable turbo, C1E, C6 and all power saving featured. Leave memory on AUTO. The difference between 920's and 930's is the multi. With turbo disabled, the multi goes higher on 930's. The optimal multi on 920 is 19 and 21 on a 930. That said, higher multi's need a little less voltage so my voltage perameters may be slightly less on a 920 compared to a 930.

Put your multi at 19 as these processors prefer odd multiplers. Adjust you BClock accrordingly...

4 GHz should need about 1.35~1.375v or so

4.2GHz should need 1.375~1.4v or so.

Run Prime95 on blend. Load temps should not go much over 80 and run prime95 for 3 hrs. If temps are too high, lower voltage and overclock.

good luck.

Much appreciated going to look through bios and disable those first and then take off my xmp memory profile on my memory then look at how much to move up the blk at a time.

Much appreciated going to look through bios and disable those first and then take off my xmp memory profile on my memory then look at how much to move up the blk at a time.

Here is my 100% stable oc on custom water

kkkk.png

Edited by Drdeath

Here is my 100% stable oc on custom water

kkkk.png

Ok so I tried the 3.8 at 1.35v I disabled the power saving options under cpu but it had one that I had no idea if it was power saving or not so I left it enabled.

It got upto like 82c in like 5 minutes. I've noticed it usually doesn't go much higher then what it does at load for me than whatever shows up the first five. I'll be honest it scared me because I think that's a little high c?

Another thing is that my ram is running at lower then the specs when I put it on auto. So if I have to downclock my ram to get a stable oc is it even worth it to oc?

I don't know just seems hot and I dont get why I cant just manually set my ram settings would that make it unstable? I was surprised it booted because I don't really understand the bios settings but ya that was scary, im a wimp lol.

edit: very sweet pics btw ;)

Edited by cmaki2001