John_Grimm

Need memory advise

Hi Guys,

I'm going to upgrade my RAM for Christmas and i need some advise. I'm from Bulgaria and i'll be doing my shopping at 2 places, Amazon Italy (because they deliver to my neck of the woods) and Altech (becouse they are in my neck of the woods). :P

From the Altech all i'm seeing that i like is this CORSAIR Vengeance™ Red CL8 and maybe this KINGSTON HyperX Grey

But i have heard good things about G.SKILL, so i went to Amazon and i found this G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 and this G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR.

The 1st G.SKILL is a 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24, LOW voltage 1.25, my question is, if i install this RAM and bump the voltage to 1.5-1.65 will i be able to gouse the timings down to 8-8-8-24 or even 7-8-7-24 or will i burn the modules down?

Also i would greatly appreciate it if you guys can give me some advise on some other RAM you may recommend, i have not set my mind in stone so i may go for some other make/model.

All advise is welcome. :thx:

thats a big timing difference. ram isn't like a cpu, not all ram can OC, some ram even has trouble running itself at stock

turning up the voltages may not do anything but make it instable, and voltage increasing is a huge cause of dead ramsticks

be careful and see if you can find some performance reviews on them, but i'd stick with the first set of g.skill and enjoy it

thats a big timing difference. ram isn't like a cpu, not all ram can OC, some ram even has trouble running itself at stock

turning up the voltages may not do anything but make it instable, and voltage increasing is a huge cause of dead ramsticks

be careful and see if you can find some performance reviews on them, but i'd stick with the first set of g.skill and enjoy it

That's a real shame. I don't know a lot about RAM OC, I've only ever tried to keep it working at recommended settings. I was going to buy the CORSAIR Vengeance™ Red CL8, but the heatsinks are too tall and i'm planing on getting a push/pull CM Hyper 212+ or EVO, so they may interfear with the second fan. :(

The Voltages: generally lower Voltage RAM costs more. Some lower Voltage RAM can be overclocked, by increasing the Voltage. The lower the stated Voltage, the more room you have to increase it. But I would not try to increase the Voltage on RAM that has no heatsink.

Always get RAM with a low profile heatsink. The RAM I use happens to be G.Skill low profile, but other companies make low profile RAM too. Sniper is not quite low profile RAM.

With low profile RAM if you ever want to use a 140mm fan on the front of your cpu heatsink, you can. You future-proof your rig.