Longevity Builds

Shurman292

Hey OCC,

I am about to build my girlfriend's family two new PCs. Their current computers (old Dells with Win XP) need replaced and they asked me to build PCs that will last them a good long time - meaning at least 5-10 years. The family will be using both computers for internet browsing, document editing, and photo/video viewing. More specifically, one will need to be equipped to handle light gaming tasks, and the other will be used for photo storage (although currently they are only using 30-40gb on each computer, so storage requirements are not sky high). I recommended SSDs for the moment since HDDs are slower and almost as expensive per drive, but I also told them when the prices drop in the future they could add more for data storage as needed.

I've put together a list of parts that I thought I would use. The trend I'm going for it quality parts, without being ridiculously expensive. I am familiar with all of these components/brands except the Corsair Force 3 SSD (I have an OCZ SSD).

I just need recommendations or approval on the appropriateness/robustness of these parts and the build as a whole. If you have any recommendations, whether they be different retailers or different components, I am all ears (eyes? haha). All purchases will be made at Newegg unless specified (if you can find a lower price, fantastic!).

Light gaming computer:

Processor: Intel i7 2500k ($179 at Microcenter)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H ($104.99)

PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 ($94.99)

RAM: G.Skill Sniper series 8gb (already purchased for $29.99)

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb ($169.99)

Case: Lian Li PC-K57 ($59.99)

GPU: Sapphire HD 6850 ($144.99)

Optical: ASUS DVD Burner ($19.99)

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ ($25.99)

Total ~ $830

Picture storage computer:

Same components as previous computer minus discrete graphics.

Total ~ $690

Thermal paste (to be used for both PCs): Arctic Silver 5 ($12.98)

You may think these these products are overkill (and I agree on the PSU, but I love the TX650), but like I said, I'm going for longevity here. A decent gaming computer now will be a fantastic internet/word processing computer in 5-10 years. Prices listed above are probably the highest they are willing to pay.

Thanks OCC!!

Damn. I'd love to build those for myself. IMO, I'd get the non K i5- 2500 or i7-2600. If the computers aren't going to be OC'ed or messed with in any way the K versions would be a waste of money. Even if you need another 10MHz out of it you could still OC it, but I don't really see why you would need that. I'd just save the money and get the straight 2500 or 2600.

Edited by Lord_Guy

Considering the needs to you mentioned to can tweak down a bit and not hurt the build. For example will these systems be overclocked? if not then drop to the 2400K and save a bit of money with no real performance lose. As for the SSD the 120 gig is a great choice for a gaming machine IF you have the discipline to keep the HD free to crap. Only the games you are actively playing and such. For the photo machine I would swap out the 120 gig SSD for a 60 gig SSD and a 500 gig HD. According to Microcenter prices you can do this for about the same cost as the 120 gig SSD and with the Z68 you can use the 60 gig as a nice boost of the spindle drive and get great performance with a bit more space right out of the gate. As for the cooler we are back to the question with the CPUs, will you overclock, if not then the stock cooling is fine.

You can take the savings on the lesser CPU and heatsink and use that money for a bit more video card or just save the cash.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

Yes, I plan on providing them a modest overclock (maybe around 4.2ghz). If it needs to be boosted higher in the future, I will hopefully be able to do so with the Hyper212+. The other reason I chose the Hyper212+ (aside from great bang-for-the-buck) is ensuring the CPU stays cool under load (again with the longevity thing).

As far as the processor, I would like the computer without the discreet graphics to have a decent integrated chip (intel HD3000 I believe). Other than that, if it overclocks, I don't care what the stock ghz is.

With regards to the storage, they will not need more than what is on the SSD for a while. When they do, I will be able to install an HDD when the prices come down. Also, I should note that I will be converting one of their old computers into a backup server to store all their media as a backup on the network.

I'm in the process of doing a very similar build for my boss, longevity is also one of the key criteria. Think the K series is a good move, non K have the HD2000 graphics and the difference in cost is minimal. Also using a Corsair 650 (HX) power supply and have had good luck with Corsair for years.

Went with an ASUS P8Z68-V LE but have always had pretty luck with Gigabyte too. Looks pretty solid to me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

I would suggest you go with the OCZ drive considering it has a newer and more stable controller. You could also keep your eye open of a 120 sata III Mushkin drive in your drive range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057 I know it is ten dollars more, and I am not saying that the the hyper 212 is bad, but it is a little bit more high performance than the 212 and it pulls air over your ram which keeps that cool for longer life. It is sort of personal preference.

I think otherwise it is a great build. Make sure you have enough ram though, there are rumors about windows 8 being a total ram hog.

I'm in the process of doing a very similar build for my boss, longevity is also one of the key criteria. Think the K series is a good move, non K have the HD2000 graphics and the difference in cost is minimal. Also using a Corsair 650 (HX) power supply and have had good luck with Corsair for years.

Went with an ASUS P8Z68-V LE but have always had pretty luck with Gigabyte too. Looks pretty solid to me.

My thoughts exactly. I was also looking at that board since it has USB 3.0 and the Lian Li case has a 3.0 port on the front. Plus, I trust Asus more than Gigabyte, but I've heard good things about both boards. I might end up getting the Asus, I'm not sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

I would suggest you go with the OCZ drive considering it has a newer and more stable controller. You could also keep your eye open of a 120 sata III Mushkin drive in your drive range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057 I know it is ten dollars more, and I am not saying that the the hyper 212 is bad, but it is a little bit more high performance than the 212 and it pulls air over your ram which keeps that cool for longer life. It is sort of personal preference.

I think otherwise it is a great build. Make sure you have enough ram though, there are rumors about windows 8 being a total ram hog.

I wanted to go with the OCZ drive very badly, but it was more expensive and it had BSOD issues whereas the Force 3 did not seem to have any problems like that. I have a Vertex 2 and love it, but I hesitate to buy something with so many BSOD reports :dunno:

I heard the contrary, that Microsoft was building Windows 8 to run on very small amounts of RAM. Either way I think/hope 8gb will be enough and if not, it's the easiest upgrade in the world ;)

My thoughts exactly. I was also looking at that board since it has USB 3.0 and the Lian Li case has a 3.0 port on the front. Plus, I trust Asus more than Gigabyte, but I've heard good things about both boards. I might end up getting the Asus, I'm not sure.

I wanted to go with the OCZ drive very badly, but it was more expensive and it had BSOD issues whereas the Force 3 did not seem to have any problems like that. I have a Vertex 2 and love it, but I hesitate to buy something with so many BSOD reports :dunno:

I heard the contrary, that Microsoft was building Windows 8 to run on very small amounts of RAM. Either way I think/hope 8gb will be enough and if not, it's the easiest upgrade in the world ;)

The OCZ team fixed 90 percent of the BSODs with a firmware update.

In regards to the windows 8 thing, I think it really depends on how they want to shape the software. I have a developers copy of win 8 and it eats up a lot of my ram. I think 8 and up should be plenty, but Microsoft has done some REALLY stupid stuff before...........like vista :pfp::lol:

I do hope your right, because if I have to migrate over to the terrible user interface, I don't want it sucking up a ton of resources :P

The ASUS P8Z68-V LE is a decent board aside from a couple of issues. The back panel I/O cover plate is really cheap and getting the motherboard to mate correctly is a bit of pain; then for some reason the audio header has been placed in the back middle part of the board. It's also not a full ATX form factor, it's not as wide and you don't utilize the three standoffs towards the front of the case.

However, the USB 3.0 is a big plus and the UEFI bios is really nice. Overclocking is a breeze, all I had to do was enable XMP then bump the CPU multi to 40 then set power management back on to maximum.

This yielded a rock solid 4.0GHz overclock when under load with very decent temperatures, when idling cpu drops to 1.6GHz and temps are in the 28~31C range using a Zalman 7500 (the boss picked it). Think the CM Hyper 212 Plus should provide comparable results.

I've been bouncing back and forth between ASUS and Gigabyte but like you I trust ASUS just a bit more.

In regards to the windows 8 thing, I think it really depends on how they want to shape the software. I have a developers copy of win 8 and it eats up a lot of my ram. I think 8 and up should be plenty, but Microsoft has done some REALLY stupid stuff before...........like vista :pfp::lol:

I do hope your right, because if I have to migrate over to the terrible user interface, I don't want it sucking up a ton of resources :P

I decided to go with the Vertex 3 because of the newer, faster controller and the BSOD issues being fixed. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope they ship with F/W v2.15 on them already because I really do not want to update the F/W. It looks like a pain :pfp:

Vista was such a flop :haha: Anyways I don't believe they will want to upgrade to anything past Windows 7 since they are still running XP on their old machines :dunno:

Thanks for all the responses! I still might bite the bullet and go with that Asus MB, I've just had nothing but good luck with Asus and the reviews tend to favor that one.

They did but the problem comes down to the controller itself. I have not had any issues but many have. Any SF 228XX drive with the latest firmware would be comparable in performance and offer the same upsides. It comes down to brand loyalty