Looking for good IPS monitor

sYstEmATiC

Well, as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a nice monitor. Budget will be around $500 +/- $100 or so (no more than $600).

I've read Psywar's monitor thread, and It was quite informative. I knew most of it, but the panel types I have never really understood. I have a couple of HP w2338h 23in monitors right now, and I'd like to replace one of them (eventually both).

I've been looking at dell ultrasharp montor's, specifically the U2410. I have seen this monitor personally, and they are pretty impressive. They blow my hp's away. Unfortunately, I don't know much about high end displays and who makes the best for the money.

This will be an all around, used for everything monitor. Movies, games, photo editing, etc.

Specs I'd like:

~24in

IPS Panel type

1920x1200 if possible (16:10)

.27 or better pitch

1000:1 contrast (or better)

6ms response or better (BTWTB preferably)

HDMI, and Displayport are a MUST, it woud be nice to have DVI as well.

Anyone willing to help me out? I've been looking at a couple of samsungs as well, but I just dont know whats best for the money. I've always got budget screens in the past. lol

Thanks,

Systematic

I just ordered three of these during Black Friday: Dell UltraSharp U2412M

I'll be getting them sometime next week. They were $299 each.

Those look nice, but theres no HDMI :( I will be using these for Xbox360 as well. So HDMI is a must.

I wonder if the 8ms gtg response would be an issue?

I really like the price for the specs of the monitor though. Its still tempting. I could get two of those. :evilgrin:

Those look nice, but theres no HDMI :( I will be using these for Xbox360 as well. So HDMI is a must.

I wonder if the 8ms gtg response would be an issue?

I really like the price for the specs of the monitor though. Its still tempting. I could get two of those. :evilgrin:

That response will be an issue as soon as you develop eyes that can respond to that sort of thing as it is at 60fps it's roughly ~16.6 ms per frame so I don't know why people recommend 5 or even 2 ms g2g response as musts for high end monitors, it's just silly.

I have used ultrasharps and they make me want them bad for my eyefinity set up next year but I need to wait till I find a deal like el_Capitain has.

Edit: With the xbox do what I did with mine hack the casing around the component out cable so both it and hdmi can be plugged in simultaneously. Then you can use a hdmi to dvi converter and then either RCA or optical for sound.

Edited by Stonerboy779

The Dell UltraSharp U2410 has HDMI, as well as Component and Composite. Only problem is, is that it costs anywhere between $500 and $600 depending on discounts/sales.

The ASUS PA246Q also has HDMI, and is cheaper than the U2410, but not by a real lot. Still, it is under $500 currently, so it is a good price right now.

I have never heard of the 2412M

considering it is also LED, they must have cut corners somewhere to meet the 300$ price line

ASUS one I considered before, I know they revised their dead pixel policy due to numerous complaints

Edited by potatochobit

I have never heard of the 2412M

considering it is also LED, they must have cut corners somewhere to meet the 300$ price line

Yep, it's cheaper than older IPS displays for a reason. Most newer more affordable IPS displays are using e-IPS panels.

Anyway, unless you need wide gamut support (and you'll likely know if you do), then consumer targeted IPS should be just fine.

Here is a 2412M Review

As for needing HDMI, could you just use the DVI port with an adapter instead?

I love my HP ZR24w so much I would wait to see the review on the HP ZR2440w. It is hard to go wrong with a Dell IPS monitor. When it comes to IPS I would go HP or Dell.

Oh and btw, good luck finding ANY monitor to do BTWTB in 6ms or less ...let alone find a company that reports it. IPS monitors are slower than TN panels so you will not find any current monitor that is capable of that. You sacfrice speed for superior image/color quality. TN panels give you the speed but tend to have washed out images. The black and color levels are no where near as deep as what an IPS can give. So you have to decide what is more important to you.

EDIT:

The ZR24W does not have an HDMI port.

Edited by Fogel

i've gotten sick looking for monitors , especially when for a couple hundred more i was able to get a 46" sony bravia. ever since then i can't even look at regular computer screens, they seem like a childs toy

if you want a high contrast, and good viewing angle/quality why not just get a high-end led monitor or TV?

- the LG 32" i was using before this had a LG IPS panel, this brvia i use now has a sony VA.

the viewing angle ironically on the LG is NOT as good as the Sony, nor is the picture color.

maybe people forget that IPS was a solution to certain problems TFTLCD's had, but its not like they ditched VA screens or there development.

I wonder nowawadays if you compared VA screens, alot of high end ones aren't really that dissapointing compared to what, 2001 that IPS panels came out mainstream?