AMD Mid-Range Build

mattrock

Hello again everyone, looking to build another rig and would greatly appreciate some feedback on this one.. debating whether the extra features are worth it taking into count $ and performance. Thanks again to everyone who helped me before, its greatly appreciated...

Ok so i'm looking...

1) To be able to play any current game on the highest graphics. (skyrim, starcraft 2, diablo 3 if it ever comes out etc...)

2) Play movies on a 1080P 46in LCD TV and also video games on it without loosing alot of quality.

3) im a broke college kid so money is an issue the cheaper the better in my case but i still need it to preform just without going overboard for the benefit cost ratio...im trying to get the best performance for the cheapest buck (it would be nice if I could stay around 700 but ive recently decided to go around 800-850 since i found out about scorpius (is that even worth it? the whole trinity amd thing)

Ok so finally here it is lemme know what you guys think...

MOBO

CPU

Video Card

RAM

Power Supply

Case

HDD

DVD Burner

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks again!!

With a midrange build, that motherboard is overkill IMO.

Motherboard Could go a little higher or little lower

With the money saved, you could go with this or this for your GPU, depending on how much in your budget. At 1080 resolution I really suggest getting at least the 6870, but it's up to you obviously.

You should really think about getting a different case. this CM Scout IMO is a much better buy. I used it in a build I just did for a buddy of mine, and it really is a great case.

As for your Power Supply, OCZ is fine, but I like to stick to brands like Antec or Corsair (best in the business)

edit: I really like this motherboard from ASRock. It's the 990X platform which has more than enough features for a midrange build, and the best part is it's $94 :thumbsup:

Edited by ShallowBay

Hello again everyone, looking to build another rig and would greatly appreciate some feedback on this one.. debating whether the extra features are worth it taking into count $ and performance. Thanks again to everyone who helped me before, its greatly appreciated...

Ok so i'm looking...

1) To be able to play any current game on the highest graphics. (skyrim, starcraft 2, diablo 3 if it ever comes out etc...)

2) Play movies on a 1080P 46in LCD TV and also video games on it without loosing alot of quality.

3) im a broke college kid so money is an issue the cheaper the better in my case but i still need it to preform just without going overboard for the benefit cost ratio...im trying to get the best performance for the cheapest buck (it would be nice if I could stay around 700 but ive recently decided to go around 800-850 since i found out about scorpius (is that even worth it? the whole trinity amd thing)

Ok so finally here it is lemme know what you guys think...

MOBO

CPU

Video Card

RAM

Power Supply

Case

HDD

DVD Burner

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks again!!

First off, go with Intel. Go with the i5 2500K and the Asrock Extreme 3 GEN 3. It will cost about the same.

For the RAM, I would say to wait on it for a while. It all seems a bit overpriced, and I pretty sure it will come back down after christmas.

For the PSU, DONT GO WITH THAT PSU. I just talked to another shopper at microcenter and he claims that his PSU fried his mobo. Go with a corsair 850W. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139029 . It is 150 with a 20 dollar mail in rebate and it is 10% off. So you get 35 dollars off, which is still more than yours, but it wont fry your computer, it has more watts, and corsair is usually a better name to buy with PSUs.

Case is fine.

Hard drive is fine.

DVD burner is fine.

For the video card, I would make sure that any AMD card can be tri fired. If not, then you might want some gtx 560's and put them in SLI.

First off, go with Intel. Go with the i5 2500K and the Asrock Extreme 3 GEN 3. It will cost about the same.

For the RAM, I would say to wait on it for a while. It all seems a bit overpriced, and I pretty sure it will come back down after christmas.

For the PSU, DONT GO WITH THAT PSU. I just talked to another shopper at microcenter and he claims that his PSU fried his mobo. Go with a corsair 850W. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139029 . It is 150 with a 20 dollar mail in rebate and it is 10% off. So you get 35 dollars off, which is still more than yours, but it wont fry your computer, it has more watts, and corsair is usually a better name to buy with PSUs.

Case is fine.

Hard drive is fine.

DVD burner is fine.

For the video card, I would make sure that any AMD card can be tri fired. If not, then you might want some gtx 560's and put them in SLI.

by "cost about the same" do you mean ~$100 more expensive then what I suggested? That money could be put to something that matters more in gaming like his GPU. Also no way he needs 850w from Corsair. The 650 I linked is more than capable

Edited by ShallowBay

by "about the same price" do you mean ~$100 more expensive then what I suggested? That money could be put to something that matters more in gaming like his GPU. Also no way he needs 850w from Corsair. The 650 I linked is more than capable

No, I mean the same price as what he had.

For the PSU, he could need the extra wattage for tri fire. If of course trinity and trifire are the same thing. I guess my approach is better safe than sorry. He still shouldn't go with the OCZ PSU though.

No, I mean the same price as what he had.

For the PSU, he could need the extra wattage for tri fire. If of course trinity and trifire are the same thing. I guess my approach is better safe than sorry. He still shouldn't go with the OCZ PSU though.

I honestly had no idea what he was talking about with the trinity thing so I didn't even think about it ha ha.

But you are correct, stay clear of the OCZ PSU.

And yes, for what he had listed it would of been smarter to go with the Intel system. But that motherboard was way overkill. that ASRock I linked for $90 is a much better option and would allow for upgrades in the GPU to a 6950 at least which would help him a lot more than a 2500k. As for crossfiring video cards, my motto has always been just get the single fastest card you can afford, then later down the road if you NEED it then go for another one if the price is right. But with the games like the OP listed, a 6950 is more than enough, heck even a 6870 would be fine.