Sign in to follow this  
Omerta101

ATI 6870 OC with BF3

Hey Guys, this is my first time trying to overclock and I want to start out doing it right!

This is my computer:

Windows 7 64bit

NZXT Sentry II Touch Screen Fan Controller

Seagate 7200 1TB Hard-drive

Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz Quad Core with Thermaltake CLP0554 SpinQ VT Cooler

4G DDR3 Kingston

ATI Radeon HD 6870

21.5" LED Samsung Monitor

Fatality Headset

Antec Dark Force 30 Case + Side Fan

550W PSU Cooler Master

GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 Motherboard

I don't know if my Mobo can even OC...in BF3 I'm able to run everything on "High" no problems getting around 60FPS but on Ultra it needs the boost! I already have MSI Afterburner installed but I don't want to play with it until I'm sure! Anyone with similar specs have some advice or profiles I can try?

post-80355-0-21217800-1322761410_thumb.jpg

post-80355-0-50042000-1322761425_thumb.jpg

post-80355-0-75441000-1322761433_thumb.jpg

You can overclock the CPU's graphics portion, and have a VERY limited ability to overclock the CPU itself, just use MSI Afterburner to crank the 6870 as far as it will go stable.

Start with the core clock and then once the max is found (in a couple different games) move on to the memory clock.

I wouldn't bother with the CPU since you'll barely get anywhere and it wouldn't be worth the headache

Okay I will give that a try! Thank you :) So basically to overclock the cpu... a decent mobo is needed?

The 6870 sits at 900/1050 So I should be able to move it up. What exactly should i be looking for if problems start to arise?

Also what about the shader function on Afterburner? is that something I should leave out?

Thanks guys!

depending on the brand of the gpu, you should be able to go 1000/1150 with no problem. don't forget to put the fan on manual and rise it to something like 80%

the shader function is not for the amd graphics, it's only for the nvidia

Wicked! I will try this tonight :) What is CCC btw aha??

Thats the Catalyst Control Center. It usually comes with your drivers. Its the same place you would implement forced AA and AF.

I would give your graphics card a test with furmark after you have OC'ed to make sure its stable and your don't get any artifacts. The CCC auto OC is not perfect.

Thats the Catalyst Control Center. It usually comes with your drivers. Its the same place you would implement forced AA and AF.

I would give your graphics card a test with furmark after you have OC'ed to make sure its stable and your don't get any artifacts. The CCC auto OC is not perfect.

I never use auto, but if you have not OCed a GPU before then you should use it, you can fine tune it with CCC thou.

So I just did the furmark test ran it for 20 mins at 945/1095 the temp was at 75celcious with 79max, that sound pretty normal? had 49FPS average. my CPU hardly moved up in temp too

So I just did the furmark test ran it for 20 mins at 945/1095 the temp was at 75celcious with 79max, that sound pretty normal? had 49FPS average. my CPU hardly moved up in temp too

That's seems great.