Asrock 970 extreme 4 woes

It has been a long time since I was on here, but a new build brings me new problems. I could use some advice if anyone can dole it out to an old member. My rig was not built for gaming. I am using it for maya mainly and everything you see was on sale when I got it.

The problem is my new amd fx6100 build will not boot. I get error a5 from dr debug. Clearing cmos gives code 05 if I leave the jumpers set to clear, otherwise it reverts to a5. I get no display from any of the cards. If I remove the ram I get error 19.

Specs

Amd FX-6100

Asrock 970 Extreme4

4x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (they are from two 12gb sets, I have tried using each stick individually)

Earthwatts 750 psu (tested using my old rig)

2 x Galaxy 460 GTX (tested individually on my old rig and yes I know they are older, but at 160 for the pair it was hard to pass up. Also wanted cuda and physx for maya)

2 x 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 ssd (Still waiting on these. I am using an old sata 1 hdd in the interim)

I have emailed asrocks tech support, but my problem is that the fx6100 was purchased at frys on black friday. The mobo is from newegg. If I wait too long I will have to rma the fx6100 through amd. Not sure frys has any 6100's in stock either which could make returning it now problematic since I got it at the sale price.

Right now I am on a phenom with ddr2. I cannot test the cpu, ram, or mobo. I highly doubt 6 different sticks of ram are bad though. From what I gather the mobo could need a bios update, could be bad, or the cpu could be from a bad batch. Short of someone in the indianapolis area helping me out does anyone have any ideas?

I tried doing some searching for "a5"error code, but they dont have that code listed on their website, or in the manual. After searching around, it seems there are quite a few codes not listed in the manual. Most people had to wait for a reply back from asrock. Good luck getting everything working. Hopefully someone else here has more insight to the problem.

*off topic* Welcome back to OCC! You should stick around. :) There are a decent amount of pre-2005 members that are still active.

Wish I would of read this thread before purchasing the EXACT SAME THING for a build I'm doing for someone.

I know how you feel. A buddy of mine recommended it to me so that I could use the gtx 460's in sli.

I would stick around, but I don't have the time. I need this rig running so I can finish off this semester. Working my master's degree eats up my time. My other hobby is collecting pinball machines and I have several machines that I cannot touch right now due to school :(

1st of all, make sure the bios supports FX chips. You may need a bios update depending when the board was manufactured...... Debug code 5A is a CPU error. Code 05 is a OEM initialization before microcode loading. Error 19 is memory(you need memory to post)......I have a 990FX Fatal1ty board and that is what the manual said and the debug codes should be the same.

I think you may have a DOA CPU. Take it back and get a new one. Hope this helps. If your getting Debug codes, it is most likely not the motherboard. Good luck!

Edited by Drdeath

1st of all, make sure the bios supports FX chips. You may need a bios update depending when the board was manufactured...... Debug code 5A is a CPU error. Code 05 is a OEM initialization before microcode loading. Error 19 is memory(you need memory to post)......I have a 990FX Fatal1ty board and that is what the manual said and the debug codes should be the same.

I think you may have a DOA CPU. Take it back and get a new one. Hope this helps. If your getting Debug codes, it is most likely not the motherboard. Good luck!

Is there any way to tell the bios version with no display?

Probably not. It likely shipped with BIOS 1.20 and you need at least BIOS 1.40 for it to work properly with a BD CPU. Do you know anyone with an AM3 CPU you could hijack to flash the BIOS?

Probably not. It likely shipped with BIOS 1.20 and you need at least BIOS 1.40 for it to work properly with a BD CPU. Do you know anyone with an AM3 CPU you could hijack to flash the BIOS?

Looks like I will find out tomorrow. My buddy has a chip that will work so I will take the thing over to his place and test it. Still haven't heard back from asrock, so much for their customer service.

Looks like I will find out tomorrow. My buddy has a chip that will work so I will take the thing over to his place and test it. Still haven't heard back from asrock, so much for their customer service.

I live in Chicago and maybe we can work out something if you cannot get the chip......

Still haven't heard back from asrock, so much for their customer service.

This is one of the reasons I don't recommend ASRock boards right now.

Hopefully you can find a temporary donor to flash it.

I have had good and bad experiences with Asus. Only people I never have had trouble le with is evga but that is not to say I wont have trouble tomorrow. If I still had my old phenoms I'd send one over but I cleaned out my old stuff recently. Hope this issue gets resolved.