El_Capitan

Post your Keyboards!

I read both the Amazon complaints as well as the Corsair forum ones and I think people are just being silly about it. The keys that aren't mechanical aren't ones you press on a constant basis. The whole point of mechanical keyboards is for that feel you get while in midst of heavy gaming action ...or for the typers, the keys you press constantly while furiously typing away. I use keyboards at work from UNIX to PC. I use keyboards at home. If I am not training I am constantly on the computer and those are keys I rarely hit ...and yes, I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del all the time to unlock my machines at work, but compared to the other keys they are rare key presses. If people are using those keys on a constant basis efficiency is done.

Corsair didn't design it that way to save money. Corsair stated (on their forums) it was design decision so that those keys had a completely different tactile feel so the touch typist knew if their finger strayed too far. I can see why they would take that route.

Now it will be jarring at first because we are all used to the keys on a keyboard having the same feel. No one has bucked that trend till now. But anything completely new and different will feel jarring. I'm not in the market for buying a new keyboard, but I would be interested to see what people have to say about it after they have had some real quality time playing around with it - a month maybe. I am guessing most people would actually come to like the difference.

Edited by Fogel

Well I didn't check out the Corsair forums but I don't think the person on Amazon was being silly. All they're trying to do is inform people of that matter. Which is good because either Corsair or Amazon won't do that as it's something that's been left out of the description, misleading advertising some might say. I don't really hold that against Corsair or Amazon though, I believe overall they're pretty good companies and try to do right by their customer most of the time.

Personally I don't think I would be bothered by the feel of the keyboard if I bought it. I haven't used any mechanical keyboards other than the Model M but after using that and going back to my Saitek Eclipse, I can honestly say I don't see what all the buzz is about. To me mechanical and rubber dome just don't feel very different and at this point I think I'd prefer a rubber dome, noise is an important factor for me. So overall I think I could happily use the K90. However at that price range I would probably go with something else anyway, I mean if I'm going to drop a large chunk of change for a mechanical keyboard, I really don't see a lot of reason to skimp.

I think the people on the Corsair forums are being silly. Mostly because how emotional they get. Why get so emotional over something you haven't invested anything in?

I don't like it when people write reviews of products that really aren't reviews. The person on Amazon could have accomplished the same thing by making post on the product forum. People thinking of dropping $130 on keyboard should be doing research anyways, and clicking on a forum post really isn't that difficult on Amazon. For all that person knows it may sound odd at first, it be jarring at first, but after using it people may end up really liking that design decision and not wanting to switch after that. So writing a review on a product without even using it is just as dishonest as the manufacturer not disclosing all the information. In fact, I think it is worse because you are doing the exact same thing - pretending like you have all the information when you don't... and the review affects the product's ranking.

I'm using Microsoft RT2300. A good and reliable keyboard.

But I need a backlit keyboard and I'm trying to research the A4 Tech KD and KL backlit Keyboards. No info available on the net.

I like the pic of the Deck Legend Ice but that brand is not available in Australia. Not many backlit brands available here at all.

Edited by Cespenar

i have a razer lycossa

razer-lycosa.jpg

i love the keyboard but i hate how it bugs out in the middle of a game and i have to unplug/plug it back in

I think the people on the Corsair forums are being silly. Mostly because how emotional they get. Why get so emotional over something you haven't invested anything in?

I don't like it when people write reviews of products that really aren't reviews. The person on Amazon could have accomplished the same thing by making post on the product forum. People thinking of dropping $130 on keyboard should be doing research anyways, and clicking on a forum post really isn't that difficult on Amazon. For all that person knows it may sound odd at first, it be jarring at first, but after using it people may end up really liking that design decision and not wanting to switch after that. So writing a review on a product without even using it is just as dishonest as the manufacturer not disclosing all the information. In fact, I think it is worse because you are doing the exact same thing - pretending like you have all the information when you don't... and the review affects the product's ranking.

Personally I'm grateful to that person for bring that information out and making it more known. I also read the comments that people left on that review and the reviewer does say they didn't intend to do anything more than inform people about stuff that Corsair wouldn't. That person makes it pretty clear that they aren't reviewing the product and that they don't have any bad feelings about Corsair.

I think a lot of people forget that the only defense consumers have against companies is other consumers. Personally I tend to do a good amount of research on a product before I buy it, but I usually don't go to the manufacturer's forums for information on their product. Typically the first places I go for product information is the product page on the their website, and just from looking at that, I get the feeling they're trying to hide this a little bit. They have it listed in the "tech specs" only, which isn't the default page that loads up for the K90, why? Probably because they prefer to list positive features only on the default page.

Now judging from what you said before:

Corsair didn't design it that way to save money. Corsair stated (on their forums) it was design decision so that those keys had a completely different tactile feel so the touch typist knew if their finger strayed too far. I can see why they would take that route.

Sounds to me like they're trying to make that sound like a helpful thing, like a good feature of this keyboard, so why isn't it on that default page?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Corsair here, I like their products, I think they make quality stuff and have good customer service usually. I just think they goofed up on this a little bit, and that's fine, everyone is entitled to making mistakes, the important thing is that the mistakes are corrected though. I believe the proper way of correcting this would be for them to market this as what it really is, it's not hard to fix. All they have to do is change "Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard" to "Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical/Rubber Dome Gaming Keyboard", that's really all there is to it, just to be honest about the product.

i have a razer lycossa

razer-lycosa.jpg

i love the keyboard but i hate how it bugs out in the middle of a game and i have to unplug/plug it back in

$110 in Australia. I wouldn't buy a keyboard that anybody says will drop out.

Edited by Cespenar

$110 in Australia. I wouldn't buy a keyboard that anybody says will drop out.

yeah im not happy wih this keyboard or with Razer in general. their stuff looks slick but its not built to last. my deathadder has been having double click issues lately.

Personally I'm grateful to that person for bring that information out and making it more known. I also read the comments that people left on that review and the reviewer does say they didn't intend to do anything more than inform people about stuff that Corsair wouldn't. That person makes it pretty clear that they aren't reviewing the product and that they don't have any bad feelings about Corsair.

I think the idea was great but the execution wasn't.

There are plenty of ways to let people know without artificially grading a product you don't own - that's all I am saying here.

I think a lot of people forget that the only defense consumers have against companies is other consumers. Personally I tend to do a good amount of research on a product before I buy it, but I usually don't go to the manufacturer's forums for information on their product. Typically the first places I go for product information is the product page on the their website, and just from looking at that, I get the feeling they're trying to hide this a little bit. They have it listed in the "tech specs" only, which isn't the default page that loads up for the K90, why? Probably because they prefer to list positive features only on the default page.

Now judging from what you said before:

Sounds to me like they're trying to make that sound like a helpful thing, like a good feature of this keyboard, so why isn't it on that default page?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Corsair here, I like their products, I think they make quality stuff and have good customer service usually. I just think they goofed up on this a little bit, and that's fine, everyone is entitled to making mistakes, the important thing is that the mistakes are corrected though. I believe the proper way of correcting this would be for them to market this as what it really is, it's not hard to fix. All they have to do is change "Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard" to "Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical/Rubber Dome Gaming Keyboard", that's really all there is to it, just to be honest about the product.

I agree their product description and/or name needs to be modified. Though I don't think they were purposely trying to hide it. For trivia, did you know all cell phone batteries lie to you? When you see that your battery is fully charged it really isn't. A full charge on a battery is actually bad for the battery. So technically you really have no idea on how much your battery is being charged even though it says full - it could be 97% or 85%. My point with the trivia... there are a lot of products that purposely lie and some that just don't have very good marketing divisions. I think in this case Corsair falls into the second category, and I agree ...people should speak up and give them a chance to fix the issue. I think a product description is a lot easier to update than the name though.

Keeping in mind that I agree completely with you that it needs to be advertised more clearly - I guess the thing I question the most, is why does it even matter? Yeah, some games use these keys but since when are people Double/Triple tapping the ESC key or any of the F keys? And you sure as hell don't want to be triple tapping a Macro key - queuing is bad. I guess I just really fail to see what the big deal in this. There is no loss in reaction speed with the non-mechanical keys. In fact, they are using Silicone Dome keys instead of Rubber. Still rated for 1ms - even though these ratings are kind of a misnomer. That totally aside, is it a design I would take? No, but I'm also not going to condemn it to the trash bin till I have actually tried it. I might like having a different tactile feel for the less used keys. I might not. And that's why I don't like the Amazon review - that person may actually find they like it that way if they actually gave it a chance.

And just so we are clear - I have no interest in the keyboard or Corsair's new line of mice.