850w Enough?

I currently have an existing build with an Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W PSU. I've been running it for over a year now, and I'm planning on upgrading my GPU since I can't find the one I have now for sale and I want to do a SLI set-up. I just don't know if my PSU will hold up. Here's my old set-up:

CPU - Intel i5 760

CPU Cooler - Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme

Mobo - MSI P55-GD65

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600 9-9-9-24

GPU - Palit GTX460 Sonic 1GB (with an old MSI 6200 for PhysX)

HDD - Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

Planning on swapping the Palit GTX460 Sonic with two (2) ASUS GTX560 Ti DCii in SLI, then adding another set of G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB. Also, the i5 760 I OC'd just a bit for the RAM to work with the Mobo.. Should my 850W hold up to this new set-up?

Edited by Penti

850 watts should be plenty.

Thanks for the reply, but after going through reviews, the one here in OCC (link: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_asus_gtx560ti/16.htm) stated that under load, it consumes 382 watts. I'm not sure if this is the total consumption under the 15 mins span that they tested, or peak consumption.. sorry, forgot if watt is per hour or not, that was still way back in highschool..

That's 382 watts for the whole system before losses internal to the PSU. You'll be perfectly fine. :cheers:

Oh, just as I thought, so I should be good to buy those upgrades now!

btw, if you don't mind, what do you mean by losses internal to the PSU? Is this where 85+, 90+, etc come in?

Also, if this is the case, that an i7 with a GTX460 consuming just 382 under load, are there any set-ups out there that even make use of a 1000w (and up) PSU?

btw, if you don't mind, what do you mean by losses internal to the PSU? Is this where 85+, 90+, etc come in?

Also, if this is the case, that an i7 with a GTX460 consuming just 382 under load, are there any set-ups out there that even make use of a 1000w (and up) PSU?

The figure quoted is 382W from the wall so in the case of your Enermax whose efficiency will be at or around 86% for this load, it's only (382 x .86) 328W from the power supply.

6200 for physx? That won't work.

I'm not quite sure if it's working or not, since there's not much PhysX games that I play, but the NVidia software did recognize the card.. Plus, i got it free from my old rig that isn't working anymore, so no real problem if it's working or not, noticeable or not.. :P

There aren't many systems that will consume 1000wt's. A system with A i7 980x heavily OC'ed, dual GTX590's OC'ed with a custom 12v water cooling setup for both CPU and GPU's, a slew of Hard drives in a RAID config, lots of fans, and extra accessories are going to consume a lot of power. I have no idea how much that type of setup would actually draw, but I do know an 850wt psu probably wont cut it. It might only draw 850wts at full load, but you dont want to keep a PSU at full load for long, if ever. A good analogy is a car. If you keep your average car floored all the time, its not going to last long. But never give it more than 50-75% throttle except on occasion, it will last much much longer. Same concept with psu's. If a system draws around 500wt's at full load, a good 650wt psu would be ideal.

As for your system, and an 850wt. For reference, I'm running an OC'ed 2500k, and 2x 6970's OC'ed with an 850wt psu and mine runs great.