Laptop Motherboard

I'm working on a laptop right now and having trouble getting it to recognize any devices, mainly the hard drive and optical drive. I've tried switching out the hard drive with others but it doesn't recognize any of them. I've also tried hooking up an external optical drive but no luck with that. The only thing I could get it to recognize was a flash drive.

I think there may be some setting I'm missing in the BIOS but I'm just not sure. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Sounds like it could be a number of things also how old is the laptop because some older laptops won't recognize external optical or hard drives until the operating system has booted up and properly configured the settings.

Did you try hocking up an external USB drive to the laptop?

Did you try resting the settings in the Bios back to there defaults?

They aren't showing up in the BIOS? Broken perhaps?

Right, not showing up in the BIOS. Could be broken but I think it's just a setting I'm missing.

Sounds like it could be a number of things also how old is the laptop because some older laptops won't recognize external optical or hard drives until the operating system has booted up and properly configured the settings.

Did you try hocking up an external USB drive to the laptop?

Did you try resting the settings in the Bios back to there defaults?

Laptop is pretty new, not sure how new but probably this year or last year new. If by external USB drive you mean an external hard drive, no, I haven't tried that. I tried reloading the BIOS to default values but that didn't seem to help.

can you try reflashing the BIOS?? (assuming it's able to see a USB drive, and also able to flash from the BIOS itself)

I haven't tried that, I've thought about it though. I've never tried it before so I'm really not sure how to do it and a little worried that I might screw it up and make things worse than they already are.

I haven't tried that, I've thought about it though. I've never tried it before so I'm really not sure how to do it and a little worried that I might screw it up and make things worse than they already are.

I'm not seeing anything worse than how things are now :P

Running a bios a max settings isn't your computer's primary function lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S