Sign in to follow this  
neko77025

Signs your PSU is going bad ?

Not sure if this is my issue or not. BF3 Fourms are blaming my PSU. I dont think this is the case.

First, this is what is happing.

At end of the Matches, game adds up all of your points/awards. Sometimes the comp will lock up, at the same time sreen blacks outs and GPU fans MAX (reset button wont work have to flip the PSU off/on for reset). It does not happen everytime & and I have played the game for well over 3hours at a time, But I have had many back 2 back end of match crashes like so. Their are A few other crashes that happen in the game At random times however these happen to everyone and need patches. Also, when this crash happens their is No blue screen or Error / action center msg when I come back into windows.

What I have tryed, Un-Overclocked CPU & Ram, Lowered the Clock on the Factory OC of the GPU, Rolled back Drivers on Videocard 3x rolls, Uninstalled AMD CC Cap, Uninstalled SB X-fI, Installed Realtek onboard soundcard, Uninstalled / Driver-swept / reinstalled EVERY Driver.

BTW, was wondering .. how do PSU testers work.. do they just say if its good or bad .. do they show if the Watts are right ?

Other notes,

I notice that at the same time this issue is happing, My GPU temps are at the highest 78- 79c. It has to do with the Smoke ( will try too explane, at end of the matches when it says your team won or lost their is 3d rendered smoke .. at this time my gpu temps go from 72 .. to 79 / 80ish .. So i assume the smoke is harder on the GPU to render.. however I just ran the game for 30 - 50min with temps at 72c (MSI afterbuner on screen temps ) So for that 2mins after game play, their is more load on the gpu then the past 30m - 1hour. (this is when I get the LOCK / GPU fans Max)

I just put 86hours into skyrim on ultra settings, I literally only had 3x issues and they were game closed and went too desktop.

Last night, I turn on Unigine heaven and let that run for over 2hours as I watched some TV. Nothing happen, No crashes .. was still looping when I came back. Then Ran Metro 2033 benchmark 40x times .. got to 25 with no issues so I stopped it.

No other issues of Note, PSU does not get warm, has no oder of going bad.

I was having issues with A motherboard (just replaced 2weeks ago) however MB was 3years old and overclocked to death I think. (but this is A new build/ fresh install )

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.0Ghz

Asus Crosshair V

G.Skill Sniper 1866 DDR3 2x4Gb

MSI 6970 Lighting

SB X-fi (PCI)

Msuhkin Chronos 120Gb SSD Sata III

Ultra X3 1000w

Windows 7-U-64bit

Lock-ups are normally caused by your HDD, mobo and ram. I would look into those first.

To be honest at this point if you've tested stock and overclocked I'd be inclined to blame the game...

BTW, was wondering .. how do PSU testers work.. do they just say if its good or bad .. do they show if the Watts are right ?

Power supply testers are only really useful in weeding out dead power supplies and for a quick go/no go test. They do load the power supply enough for the regulation to kick in (however most power supplies will do this without a load) and let you know the voltages are correct but the load they place on the power supply is minimal, a few tens of watts at the most.

im with waco.. my mates pc does the exact same.. at the end where the points tally up it crashes. loses all the points.. but after the last patch update it stopped doing it?

im going to assume that uve updated the patch as well.. im pretty sure its auto.. maybe try changing drivers?? either newer or maybe got back one or 2 releases to see if it has any effect at all?

the game has many many bugs.. i for 1 couldnt even play it coz it would crash to desktop every like 5 mins.. then i changed drivers and now i cant play full screen only windowed... but it stopped crashing.. lol its so weird.. maybe even try that?

Answer to title - boom? :lol: Do you have a spare drive yo could install a copy of windows and install BF3 to it? Just to check? Tomorrow BF3 has a new patch so I hope your issue get's fixed in it ;)

As Dan the gamer and Waco are suggesting I would get the game reinstalled and if its still doing it then I would try it on a different hard drive all together. An other thing you can do is maybe if the game has a shaded cache delete the folders contents after making a backup and test it to see.