Dual purpose build

Muchoman1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already got a matx system in the room, used for downloading and the like, forget how dumb doing this over one rig sounds, I just need to know how to do it

Well even if the 3D acceleration works locally on the VM you probably won't get anything close to acceptable performance visually when connected via remote desktop (if it even works properly in the first place).

I don't understand how two computers is acceptable when one is remotely connected but two computers aren't acceptable if they are running things locally...either way there are still 2 computers.

I've already got a matx system in the room, used for downloading and the like, forget how dumb doing this over one rig sounds, I just need to know how to do it

There are also multiple laptops in the room anyway, so thats not an issue

You could photoshop the h3ll out of a virtual machine, but you will never play games on one. Not any time soon, because all paths to the video card are through the hyper visor which is too slow to handle fast action gaming.

There is only one way i can think of to make gaming work, and you will need a professional level graphics card(IE, AMD FirePro/nVidia Quadro), and Server 2008 R2. Hyper-v plus RemoteFX will allow use of dedicated video processing power for a virtual and has been proven that it can play even super demanding games like Crysis with acceptable frame rates and graphics quality... over remote desktop! This should be more than sufficient for Skyrim and Photoshop. Im also not sure how well this would function over wireless, anything ive ever seen of RemoteFX has always been gigabit ethernet.

You'll need Server 2008 R2 as your main OS though, with 2x in SLI/CF of what 7xxx or 6xx cards, and a third card which is a Firepro or quadro. Problem is Server 2008 R2 will not work with a lot of games and what not, i think it will work fine for most tasks? But a lot of applications and games are going to give you crap for Server 2008 R2 as your main OS. You could bypass this problem by dual booting Win7, and Server 2008 R2. You spend most your time in Win7 doing whatever you do. Then when your sister needs to use Photoshop or play Skyrim. You reboot into Server 2008, start up her Virtual machine, then let her have at it. While you spend your time figuring out which games and applications will run on Server 2008 R2!

Dont forget Server 2008 R2 isnt cheap, and remoteFX requires SP1 to be on both Server 2008 R2 and Win7.

Minor additional note: Last i knew you MUST use a professional type video card with RemoteFX. But its possible you may or may not need one, additional research may be required.

Well even if the 3D acceleration works locally on the VM you probably won't get anything close to acceptable performance visually when connected via remote desktop (if it even works properly in the first place).

I don't understand how two computers is acceptable when one is remotely connected but two computers aren't acceptable if they are running things locally...either way there are still 2 computers.

But seriously... If there is already like 12 computers in the room, why not 2 more?? Making this all work on 1 computer is a heck of a lot of extra effort and i just dont really get it.

I'm aware that the whole no extra computers thing sound insane, but its not my ruling... So for things other than gaming the vm will be fine? Cause technically all it had to be able to do for her system is photoshop, cause my parents aren't to fond of gaming.

So for just photoshop I could run windows 7 and whatever vm software (link please?) And then how would I stream it to another system like a laptop our a matx system I got lying around here?

Edited by Muchoman1

so it will work fin just for photoshop on the vm then? and whats good vm software?

VirtualBox is free and ok, not great though. VMWare is really nice, but not free. I think they have trial versions that you can try/use though. I thought i remember seeing one time that VMWare had a new free version with limited features, but i dunno, might just be imagining it.

Like i said before, it is possible to do what you want, just very complex and probably expensive.

VirtualBox is free and ok, not great though. VMWare is really nice, but not free. I think they have trial versions that you can try/use though. I thought i remember seeing one time that VMWare had a new free version with limited features, but i dunno, might just be imagining it.

Like i said before, it is possible to do what you want, just very complex and probably expensive.

VMWare Player is now free and will do what he needs.

I still think it's a massive waste of time, effort, and money considering he needs a second machine to remote connect anyway.

VMWare Player is now free and will do what he needs.

I still think it's a massive waste of time, effort, and money considering he needs a second machine to remote connect anyway.

i have got a second machine but its too weak to run photoshop properly