Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock with Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II

dantheman122

Hi there, brand new to the forum but I'm hoping someone can help me. I've recently got a Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock and attempted to change the cooler to the Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II however when I was following the installation instructions I noticed the SOC card is different to the normal GTX 580. The Voltage Regulators are only in one row and differently spaced which meant the large heatsinks I installed on it aren't balanced on the two rows of the regulators, instead sitting on one, and the thermal tape doesn't touch anything. This means they don't exactly seem like they're stuck on tight at all and I'm a bit worried they might fall off.

Long story short, has anyone done this installation and can give me any tips? I thought about using the strip of thermal tape from the including Gigabyte cooler to install the larger heatsinks of the Arctic Xtreme rather than the included mixer thermal glue that comes with the Arctic?

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance.

The Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock is not a reference PCB, the Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II is only for the reference PCB models, Check Arctic's website, it says that right on the bottom of the page. Link Also why are you changing the cooler? The gigabyte one is excellent and I think is slightly better already.

Oh balls, i didn't know that. So no way to fit it? I just thought the arctic was better from what I've read online. Would have been good if the computer shop told me they weren't compatible before selling them to me..

Please choose you components carefully as we are unable to guaranty compatibility.

Sits on a sign behind the counter where I buy most my stuff. just the way things are unfortunately.

How about gigabyte and their 83 mhz "Super Overclock". Well at least the gpu purchased is giving the extra 83 mhz. I wonder if they could double that to 166 mhz would they name the card "Super Duper Overclock." I am pretty sure even reference cards can reach those gains, but they wouldn't run as cool.

If you must use the accellero cooler then enzotech makes some ram and mosfets coolers. I'd sell the 580 and the cooler and get a reference cooler to get a reference 580 and a waterblock for it. Would cost roughly the same between an evga gtx580 plus an em waterblock and backing plate.

Yeah, I've gone back to the stock cooler. Sat at around 77 degrees celsius on 100% usage on BF3 on Ultra so seems to be all good. Gonna try the arctic on my friends card instead. Thanks for your help guys.

Good deal Dan. 77c is really good for air cooling. I'm about 20 - 25c degrees cooling with my gtx480 on water just to give you an idea of the difference between the best air and water. And Being a gtx480 you can still cook an egg on the top heat spreader. Lol