new rig + advice

blazeofx

Sorry I'm typing.this from my android in case spelling gets messy.

I'm upgrading my system this holiday season. There are a few reasons for this that ill get into after.

Current rig.

Case- thermaltake armor+

CPU- 2.66 ghz I7 920 clocked at 3.4

Mobo- gigabyte ud5 x58 usb 3.0

Gfx card- xfx radeon hd 6970 2gb

RAM- 12gb crucial ballistix tracer (2x6 gb) 1066 mhz

PSU- Rosewill 1300w modular

HDD 1- Hitachi 1tb

HDD 2- wd caviar black 2tb 6 gb/s

SSD- ocz vertex 3 max iops 120gb (game drive)

Monitor- viewsonic 120hz 21 inch 3D gaming monitor @ 1680x1050

Going to update to...

CPU- core i7 2011 3930k

Mobo- Asus ROG Rampage IV. Extreme

RAM- 16 gb crucial ballistix smart tracer 1866 mhz

Gfx- possibly 2 xfx radeon hd (this card.scales.great in.xfire) getting the 2nd card around February

Main reason for the upgrade? My ssd is throttled heavily by the Marvell SATA controllers.in my Mobo which I had no idea of until after I bought and installed the ssd.

Questions- how much of an fps increase can I expect going from an I7 920 to sandy bridge e 3930k alone? I've heard Sandy bridge, unlike most CPUs actually increases fps.

I'm also upgrading because socket 2011 leaves room.for greater.future additions to my pc (pci-e 3.0)

How much faster will my ssd function as a game drive? I had major issues using it as a boot drive even with the latest firmware.

Lastly, is it smarter to upgrade to the smart tracer RAM 16gb 1866 or just take my 12gb of 1066 and make 32gb for the new mobo?

Thx.guys

-Blaze

Sorry I'm typing.this from my android in case spelling gets messy.

I'm upgrading my system this holiday season. There are a few reasons for this that ill get into after.

Current rig.

Case- thermaltake armor+

CPU- 2.66 ghz I7 920 clocked at 3.4

Mobo- gigabyte ud5 x58 usb 3.0

Gfx card- xfx radeon hd 6970 2gb

RAM- 12gb crucial ballistix tracer (2x6 gb) 1066 mhz

PSU- Rosewill 1300w modular

HDD 1- Hitachi 1tb

HDD 2- wd caviar black 2tb 6 gb/s

SSD- ocz vertex 3 max iops 120gb (game drive)

Monitor- viewsonic 120hz 21 inch 3D gaming monitor @ 1680x1050

Going to update to...

CPU- core i7 2011 3930k

Mobo- Asus ROG Rampage IV. Extreme

RAM- 16 gb crucial ballistix smart tracer 1866 mhz

Gfx- possibly 2 xfx radeon hd (this card.scales.great in.xfire) getting the 2nd card around February

Main reason for the upgrade? My ssd is throttled heavily by the Marvell SATA controllers.in my Mobo which I had no idea of until after I bought and installed the ssd.

Questions- how much of an fps increase can I expect going from an I7 920 to sandy bridge e 3930k alone? I've heard Sandy bridge, unlike most CPUs actually increases fps.

I'm also upgrading because socket 2011 leaves room.for greater.future additions to my pc (pci-e 3.0)

How much faster will my ssd function as a game drive? I had major issues using it as a boot drive even with the latest firmware.

Lastly, is it smarter to upgrade to the smart tracer RAM 16gb 1866 or just take my 12gb of 1066 and make 32gb for the new mobo?

Thx.guys

-Blaze

The increase in FPS would be somewhere around 8 percent. I personally would be looking for an extra 10 frames better depending on the game you are playing. For ram, you could go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 . It is on sale and it is good ram, so you might want to go with that option, otherwise I would go with the ram you chose or the corsair dominator GT. Basically, just look for something that will support a good overclock on your CPU. For the SSD, could you tell us what speeds you are running at currently? It is more than likely going to be faster, but I have no idea by how much. Lastly, I would not go with a second graphics card. I would just wait for the GEN 3 cards and invest in that before your sink money into what would be an old card.

While your SSD might seem slower in benchmarks in real life you will likely NOT see a big improvement with this upgrade. HD benchamrking makes the mistake of giving the impression throughput is king and in truth the real speed of an SSD is it's seek time which will not be effected much by a controller.

As for the CPU, the speed bump really depends on the game tpye. FPS games do not see much of a bump while RPG and Strategy games do get some kick. Even with the kick however it is not enough really change the gaming experience compared to what you already have. The system you have is prety quick now and the money you will be spending is less of an upgrade than a lateral move. While benchmakrs might look impressive for epeen bragging, the actual computing and game experience change will not be anywhere close to being worth the cost.

While your SSD might seem slower in benchmarks in real life you will likely NOT see a big improvement with this upgrade. HD benchamrking makes the mistake of giving the impression throughput is king and in truth the real speed of an SSD is it's seek time which will not be effected much by a controller.

As for the CPU, the speed bump really depends on the game tpye. FPS games do not see much of a bump while RPG and Strategy games do get some kick. Even with the kick however it is not enough really change the gaming experience compared to what you already have. The system you have is prety quick now and the money you will be spending is less of an upgrade than a lateral move. While benchmakrs might look impressive for epeen bragging, the actual computing and game experience change will not be anywhere close to being worth the cost.

You should still upgrade to be future proof. The 1366 stuff is being phased out.

Generally, here's what you want to look for in an SSD or HDD for what you want to use it for:

OS Boot times, Application launch speed, general snappiness = Random I/O

Games = Random I/O

Web and/or SQL Server = Random I/O and throughput

FIle Server = Random I/O and throughput

Photo/Video processing = Random I/O and throughput

Basically, near instant "seek" times is the general advantage of SSD's over HDD's. Only if you're going to do a lot of file transfers is throughput (which includes sequential read/write speeds for large files) really beneficial.