LGA2011 or Water

Ollie13

first off I'd like to say thanx, as you are one of the few forums I guest, looking for advice.

I'm sitting on the fence of which way to go, between some new x79 or a full water system.

and yes i have done my home work with many sites, on how to build a water system (months worth)

You should see the stack of paper dedicated to understanding water.

Anyways

Specs of current system

Case: Haf X

Mobo: ASUS RiiE

CPU: 920 Coolermaster V8

Ram: Patriot 6g

VGA: 2/ Evga Gtx 480 SLI

SSD: 2/ OCZ Vertex 3, raid 0

Data: 3/ WD blue 1T

SND: Creative Titanium Champion Edition

PSU: Corsair hx1000

The system runs 24/7

The mobo cpu and ram were bought around there release, not sure if the age is going to start hurting me, they have never been hard core oced

The PSU was bought around its release errrr 4-5 years ago and also wondering if i should be getting worried.(ran on my last system 24/7)

The parts i wanted to swap out in the next month

Mobo : ASUS RivE

CPU: 3930K

Ram:G.Skills ripjaw series z link

PSU: Corsair AX1200 (in case i want to go tri-sli) and for its full modular design

Or do i dunk my head in and go for water

the water system i have design for myself would be in its own external case

The only parts of the water system in the main case would be the blocks for vga and cpu

I've tried to go for Quiet in my design, I'm getting sick of sleeping with a vacuum

I have also limited myself to what i can get in Canada, do to shipping and tariffs.

Radiators: 3 x EK coolstream rad xt 360 Link

CPU: EK Supreme HF Link

VGA: 2 x EK Plexi - Copper Link

Pumps: 2 x DDC 3.2 Link

Rez opt 1: EK X2 400mm Link

Rez opt 2: FrozenPC Link

On the fence about which rez

Fans: Gentle typhoons Link

And of course all the bits and pieces like tubing colour, Im going with 3/8 id tubing probally red and black

and im still looking for a fan controller and a couple of other things

So basically If you have any opinions on which way i should go. If age of components is an issue (I'm not sure). If upgrading to 2011 is even worth it for the preformace gains for sli and the sata 6g ports (for the ssd's) and usb 3 is worth it

and no lga 1155 is not even a consideration so please no mention of going that route and yes as of this point, that is the platform i would go with. i have looked at the high end offering and the others are of no intrest.

There is probally other things i should of ask and better ways to have listed stuff out, but my brain is switch off right now, so i would like to say thanx in advance to any response.

Water cool the current rig, then sell it and buy into 2011. If you don't like that idea, then go with 2011. However, something you should really understand is that you are looking at spending 1K one way or another. You might as well stick your current rig on the market and just build a whole new rig. It is way more cost efficient than trying to just to just upgrade your PC. If nothing else, even going to a 2600K build will be wayyyyy faster than the 920 you have. So I would say that the water cooling is a little bit of a waste.

Why not just get your feet and apitite wet rather then douse it?

If you have not done Water cooling before then I would suggest these things to start out. The only reason I recommend a different tubing is the included stuff is just but everything else is great in the kit. The reason I recommend this is water cooling is not for everyone and it can be a pain at times. In any case do whatever you feel is best for you but in my experience it is best to start off simple and this loop will get you there. And plus it will be very upgradable as the components from XSPC (except the block IMHO) is top shelf and a great performer.

XSPC kit

Biocide

ten feet of rubing

Ten herbie clips

Why not just get your feet and apitite wet rather then douse it?

If you have not done Water cooling before then I would suggest these things to start out. The only reason I recommend a different tubing is the included stuff is just but everything else is great in the kit. The reason I recommend this is water cooling is not for everyone and it can be a pain at times. In any case do whatever you feel is best for you but in my experience it is best to start off simple and this loop will get you there. And plus it will be very upgradable as the components from XSPC (except the block IMHO) is top shelf and a great performer.

XSPC kit

Biocide

ten feet of rubing

Ten herbie clips

Uhhhhhhhhhhh the reason why is because he is sugesting that the other option is a 2011 socket. I would choose performance over water cooling every time.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh the reason why is because he is sugesting that the other option is a 2011 socket. I would choose performance over water cooling every time.

Water cooling is performance. Welcome to Overclocking. :teehee:

Why can't we have both new architecture and water cooling?

Don't do the extreme cool for now start off with a new CPU and mono with an xspc rasa kit. The save for waterblocks for your gfx cards or in reallity dont bother putting them under water and keep them only till the new gfx cards drive from amd and nividia.

Why can't we have both new architecture and water cooling?

Don't do the extreme cool for now start off with a new CPU and mono with an xspc rasa kit. The save for waterblocks for your gfx cards or in reallity dont bother putting them under water and keep them only till the new gfx cards drive from amd and nividia.

The only limit I can see is price. Would you mind giving us a budget? It would probably help a lot in our debate.

My budget is $1500 - $2000 depending on shipping. If I have to ship from the states my budget drops, due to border handling fees and added tax.

So for the most part I'm trying to stay local

From my local dealer the x79 platform is going to cost around 1500 including tax, give or take some shrapnel.

And for the water, its getting around 2 grand I figure, since some of the parts are coming from the states.

I guess, i could buy an EK starter kit

And then build it up from there, (not my ideal scene).

Anyway I go, I figure I'm going to take a hit on my upgrade schedule, trying to fit full water cooling in there.( At least the one I'm dreaming about)

hmmm, going to crunch some numbers

thanx for all the replies

Any reason for the fixation on ek water cooling gear?

hehehe.. probally when i was studying this stuff.. last year, i was mostly looking at swifttech and ek ,do to supply in canada and did my research around those two.

And now its kinda stuck in my head, and alittle vain i like the look, but other than that nothing.