MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) LGA 2011 Intel X79

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (8 x 4GB)

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB GDDR5

2 Intel 510 Series 120GB SATA III in Raid 0

CORSAIR H100 Water Cooler

NZXT Phantom Case

Additional 200MM and 140MM fan.

What does everyone think? I'm still up in the air on the H100.

Still need to choose a high end keyboard/mouse and possible an additional Monitor. Any sugestions?

Edited by lyctysplt

Just wow... Not hiding back on this upgrade.

I think that 580 abouts hold you over till 7xxx series cards. Also 32fb ram do you need it or just want all dimms full?

H80 for the phantom case. But why not go the 800d from corsair and seriously watercool everything?

Just wow... Not hiding back on this upgrade.

I think that 580 abouts hold you over till 7xxx series cards. Also 32fb ram do you need it or just want all dimms full?

H80 for the phantom case. But why not go the 800d from corsair and seriously watercool everything?

Honestly, I liked the looks of the Phantom (The woman calls it the storm tropper). I don't plan on aggressively OC'ing everything enough to worry about a full Custom WC solution. That, and the relatively decent review's I've seen on the case, I decided to give NZXT a chance.

As for the Ram, I do a lot of development, and I run multiple VM's on my machine. The extra RAM allows me to finish testing APP's faster than previously.

Understandable then I stand by the h80 in the phantom.

Also the 200mm fans in the case arent really 200mm so you either need to do minor mod or get a nxzt fan.

Also raid 0 is going to do jack for the SSDs performance.

Understandable then I stand by the h80 in the phantom.

Also the 200mm fans in the case arent really 200mm so you either need to do minor mod or get a nxzt fan.

Also raid 0 is going to do jack for the SSDs performance.

I agree with stoner EXCEPT FOR THE RAID 0 THING. DON"T LISTEN TO HIM! He knows not what he speaks of! Do the raid 0 thing and then post the bench marks so that I may see what I have to look forward to.

But seriously, lets say that if each drive is 200 bucks, that is a total of 400 bucks. A single 240gb ssd is about the same price. Now if you were putting an OS and SOME files on a raid configuration like a 60+60GB raid 0, then you would be fine. However, if you start loading game data on it and have generally important things on it, then you should really consider just going with a stand alone drive. Remember, the more data you have in a raid 0 config, is more data you risk losing. Just my two cents, but if you trust raid 0 then you should be fine.

I agree with stoner EXCEPT FOR THE RAID 0 THING. DON"T LISTEN TO HIM! He knows not what he speaks of! Do the raid 0 thing and then post the bench marks so that I may see what I have to look forward to.

But seriously, lets say that if each drive is 200 bucks, that is a total of 400 bucks. A single 240gb ssd is about the same price. Now if you were putting an OS and SOME files on a raid configuration like a 60+60GB raid 0, then you would be fine. However, if you start loading game data on it and have generally important things on it, then you should really consider just going with a stand alone drive. Remember, the more data you have in a raid 0 config, is more data you risk losing. Just my two cents, but if you trust raid 0 then you should be fine.

Sata 3 - provides peak throughput of about 600 MB/s - the ones i think he is getting would saturate the read but not the write so a benefit there.

Raid 0 SSDs - no more TRIM support - although apparently intel is trying to release some beta drives to get TRIM support for SSD Raid 0

Price - $280 a drive - again if i have the right drive, you can get corsair force, mushkin and ocz agility SSDs for $350-400 (240gb SSDs that is mind you) with read and write in excess of 500mb/s. Is saturating the read and having a lower write for a higher price worth it? Along with less storage.

You can go and Raid 0 some 1-2tb caviar blacks and give them an SSD cache that would be nice.

Sata 3 - provides peak throughput of about 600 MB/s - the ones i think he is getting would saturate the read but not the write so a benefit there.

Raid 0 SSDs - no more TRIM support - although apparently intel is trying to release some beta drives to get TRIM support for SSD Raid 0

Price - $280 a drive - again if i have the right drive, you can get corsair force, mushkin and ocz agility SSDs for $350-400 (240gb SSDs that is mind you) with read and write in excess of 500mb/s. Is saturating the read and having a lower write for a higher price worth it? Along with less storage.

You can go and Raid 0 some 1-2tb caviar blacks and give them an SSD cache that would be nice.

I think the 600'ish MB limit is per Sata connection. I have read reviews ( http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1563/4/ ) that put the intel Raid 0 at almost 1000MBs seq read. As for storage I have a 5 bay DROBO Nas device with 5x2tb drives for long term storage.

I think the 600'ish MB limit is per Sata connection. I have read reviews ( http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1563/4/ ) that put the intel Raid 0 at almost 1000MBs seq read. As for storage I have a 5 bay DROBO Nas device with 5x2tb drives for long term storage.

Yeah, there are people who get over a gig read and write with raid 0. The nonsense of no trim support is alleviated due to the release of the Intel Rapid Storage Driver. I mean the read and write speed on the revo drives are because of raid 0, and the bandwidth has little to do with it. You will see a benefit with raid 0 no question, but for me 240gb of SSD data is a little too much to risk for raid 0. 180gb is about my max UNLESS I am going for record setting.

Yeah, if you are looking for speed, the mushkin chronos deluxe or the vertex 3 max IOPS are your best bet for performance.

I haven't bought Muskin before, I've heard good and bad reviews, didn't want to chance the drives. The differences on the Vertex 3 and the 510's (with some rebates and such) the around 10$, and with Intel releasing the new RST anytime with the raid trim support I decided on them.

I haven't bought Muskin before, I've heard good and bad reviews, didn't want to chance the drives. The differences on the Vertex 3 and the 510's (with some rebates and such) the around 10$, and with Intel releasing the new RST anytime with the raid trim support I decided on them.

I hope they get that trim support working soon they've been saying they will try and get it for so long now.