Low Budget Build

Danzer

Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a low budget PC. Here's what I have so far:

Case - Edit NEW Case Cheaper and better

Memory - Edit NEW Memory $5 more, but double the memory

AMD CPU

DVD Drive

Motherboard - Edit NEW Motherboard $15 cheaper, but better I think, can't decide between the two

Added - Monitor I hope the motherboards above can handle this monitor. Need advice!

Along with this build, I will be purchasing a WD HD and possibly using a spare PSU..

One question I have is how much juice do I need to power this build? The PSU I have for this build is a 430W PSU. I think this should be enough for the build, but I would like a second opinion. Other than that, please let me know if there are better deals or a better bang for the buck hardware. I'm planning on Using Windows 64 to take advantage of the 4gigs of Ram. I also plan on getting a regular monitor, keyboard and mouse later as well.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Edit: I'd also like to note that this PC will be used for internet surfing, online games, music, storing pictures, watching videos on Youtube, etc. very basic tasks.

Edited by Danzer

I presume you're using on-board graphics? If so then the 430W will be more than enough. If you are putting a graphics card in there then just ensure the power supply is a good quality unit that will deliver its rated power.

If your power supply is a cheap generic that's getting on a little then the Corsair CX430 isn't a bad price.

I presume you're using on-board graphics? If so then the 430W will be more than enough. If you are putting a graphics card in there then just ensure the power supply is a good quality unit that will deliver its rated power.

If your power supply is a cheap generic that's getting on a little then the Corsair CX430 isn't a bad price.

It's a thermaltake so it's not that bad of quality. And as for the graphics card, I also have a spare 7600gs card that I might use if it's better than the onboard one. I think that should be good enough?

Ohhhhh a challenge huh :P ? Ok

Case I personally owned this case. I stuck 5 dollar fans on it and I LITERALLY was able to chill drinks in it. It is cheaper, works well, and isn't antec :woo:

Motherboard and processor.....http://www.microcenter.com/ .. Do you have one of these next to you??? If so, you have a budget builders best friend. You can pick up a 4 core AMD procesor and motherboard for 140 plus tax. I think it would be worth it compare to what you have. If not let me know so I can scour the Internet!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104221 Something like this is better. Not because it has a rebate, but because your memory supports dual channel. You can run it with a single stick of ram but running it with two is better for the board. Not to mention this ram is faster, and has a rebate to make it cheaper!

And the DVD player is fine.

For the hard drive, I would go onto the market place on this website and post an ad looking for one. People here seem to be a lot nicer than the jerks on ebay :D.

Even if you added a graphics card I think you would be fine with the PSU. In fact, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104221 you should get this. 30 bucks after rebate and you have something MUCH more substantial for online games.

Post more information on what your budget is so that way we can guide you better.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've changed the memory and case to match Angel's recommendations. The cost has dropped about $20 or so thus far. Is there anything else I need to think about? The power supply I have is more than enough for this build.

Cheers!

I just recently built a budget machine, but won't include all the parts I used since some I bought over powered (quad core athlon, big cooler etc.)

I recommend this for a low cost but capable daily driver:

Case: NZXT Source 210 Really amazing case, I was blown away by how good it was for the money

Motherboard/GPU: Asrock 890GX Pro Unfortunately sold out but this motherboard is FAR under cost of the quality level it represents.

recommendation due to the AsRock sold out: ECS 880G Yep, this is the one you linked. I don't see any other board topping this one's value, I've never used ECS personally yet but it has a decent warranty backing it should anything go wrong (and I'm not trying to imply something will :P )

CPU: Athlon X2 250 The one you chose is the cheapest and is still overqualified for what you have it doing. You could probably even over clock the little guy if you wanted some more umph

DVD Burner: Samsung DVD I've found Samsung drives to be the best I've had so far, I even unlocked mine to go even faster and to run region free! (not sure if they line can since mine is a 223 sku but I know it will still be a great drive nonetheless) It's also the cheapest option available!

Memory: Patriot 1600mhz 8GB for $5 more I'd definitely double the capacity!

i can recommend a PSU, HDD, and Monitor if you'd like too!

Happy hunting!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hey IVIYTHOS, I actually purchased everything, but an HD since they doubled the price online. I'm hoping to find a Western Digital HD at the stores and see if they're cheaper at a local bestbuy or something. Here's what I bought and I think I got a great system for an awesome price:

Case: Antec Threehundred

Mobo: ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1)

Drive: Samsung DVD burner + 25PK of DVD-R for only $19

Memory: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600

Monitor: Asus 23"

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

All in all with rebates (total $65) and discounts came out to $366. I just need is a harddrive and I'll be set. I honestly think I couldn't find a better deal since I have a PSU already. It definitely beats buying an HP or Dell or something else with the same performance or similar, especially with a 23" monitor.

If he bought from Newegg, it could be that it was on a Black Friday sale.

I just bought pieces for a new rig over the weekend, very similar setup...

HD 500G|HITC SATA 3.0Gb/s 0F10381 1 55.99

MB ASROCK 880GM-LE R 1 1 54.99

MEM 2Gx2|MUSHKIN 996768 DDR3 1333 1 27.99

PSU CORSAIR|430W CMPSU-430CXV2 R 1 16.99

CPU AMD|PH II X3 720 AM3 1 59.99

CASE COMPUCASE|HEC 6T10LITE R 1 24.99

The CPU was OEM in my case (I'm assuming his as well). I have a stock AM3 heatsink from a different build already, but perhaps the OP needed a cooler?

You're right lucky, I got most of these part on black Friday from newegg. I had to get a cooler for the CPU because they sold that CPU separately and didn't include a cooler so I just purchased a good one on black Friday. I hope they all work together though.

Edited by Danzer