Overclocking Phenom x2 560 BE and CPU-Z

Sometimes

I have a question about CPU-Z and the Award BIOS/M.I.T Tweaker.

Recently, CPU-Z has begun to show me that my CPU is running @ 800Mhz with a x4 multiplier. I've rebooted and looked at the BIOS which shows me totally different values.

I have an AMD Phenom x2 560 BE 3.3Ghz. Being that it's a BE, I had my multiplier in the BIOS to x18 @ 200 reference = 3.6Ghz BUT when I boot into windows I still get CPU-Z tellin'

me that I'm runnin @ 800Mhz with a multiplier of x4? Seems like the BIOS isn't saving my settings, what gives? Does anyone else have this type of processor and if so, what reference and multiplier values are you using?

Here's an image of CPU-Z:

cpugn.jpg

Likely you have Cool n Quiet still enabled in the bios. It reduces voltage and frequency to save on power during less demanding CPU loads. Run prime95 blend test while CPUz open and yu should see the multi and voltage jump up if it is on.

Edited by dihartnell

Likely you have Cool n Quiet still enabled in the bios. It reduces voltage and frequency to save on power during less demanding CPU loads. Run prime95 blend test while CPUz open and yu should see the multi and voltage jump up if it is on.

Thanks mate. CPU-Z now shows the correct CPU clock.

cpu2l.jpg

What would you recommend as a safe range of values for the Northbridge Frequency multiplier with a 200Mhz CPU Frequency?

1900 to 2300 MHz is what worked for both my Phenom II s. A lot of times I moved it to 2400 or the highest I could get it stable to get the most out of benchmarks. You may have to up the voltage some for around 2200+

1900 to 2300 MHz is what worked for both my Phenom II s. A lot of times I moved it to 2400 or the highest I could get it stable to get the most out of benchmarks. You may have to up the voltage some for around 2200+

so, 1900 to 2300 MHz you mean as far as what my CPU clock should be, by increasing the reference clock and decreasing the CPU clock and Northbridge multipliers?

NB Frequency should be around 3 times the real rate of ram speed. EG 800Mhz (1600MHz DDR) set the NB frequency to 2400. You can go higher and there are some benefits of you have overclocked your CPU a lot, but that will start to require bus speed adjustments as well as some extra CPU-NB voltage.

Always leave HT Link speed as close to 2000 as you can +-100.

I usually overclock using combinations of Multis and FSB speed.