P182 V3 or Define R3

Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 cases? I'm looking for something as quiet as possible. I'm currently on the P180 but building a new rig at the moment and thought I'd switch to something quiet and with better cable management than the P180. From what I've seen online it seems the construction quality of the R3 isn't consistent, but I'm most interested in the quietness of the case itself. Which would you guys recommend?

R3 because it looks better imo it can take a full atx mobo has some nice sound dampening and plenty of features.

recommended.png

The Fractal Design Define R3 is Recommended by SPCR.

Here is a thread about the R3 on SPCR

Edit: fixed link, also you may want to possibly add a poll - r3, p180, other

Edited by Stonerboy779

I have heard a P180 running in a quiet room and they are quiet. I could hear the CPU fan over everything else and a slight whirl from the gpu fan so the case is pretty solid when it comes to being quiet. That is pretty well a norm for antec as there cases are good quality but at times there are features that are missing such as wiring management as we have seen in there performance series But the P180 does well in that category. The wiring managment is going to take some time But I have seen it and it can be done. It also have holes for tubing so the liquid cooling potential is there. On the flip side The lack of an actual front fan hurts it bad. The fan is situated right in front of the PSU and that kind of makes it worthless for anything but the PSU. Although quiet this case will not be good for a cool system or overclocking at all IMHO. This being true im not sure if and where optional fans can be fitted. Do some more research and this case may be an option.

The Fractal Define R3 I'm not so sure about. There are things however that I can see and tell you about as they are huge advantages. The case is lined with Vibration and noise dampening material. The low rpm fans it has in place will do well to be very quiet while moving a respectable amount of air. The addition of fans will easily be made and with all fans in place it will easily out cool the P180 just by design, It has 4 water hose holes with grommets to use a liquid cooling system. Wire management in that case is going to be a breeze as it has many places to feed wiring and plenty of visible tie down places and it has an access hole for the motherboard backing plate. I would run this case if I needed an extremely small case but I have room in my house for more then 2 5-1/4 bays in any circumstance That is really the only Downside other then the case only comes with three fans included.

Despite that downfall I thing the Fractal Design Define R3 is a clearly the choice over the Antec P182 when the features and issue are weighed.

My thoughts

Boinker.

The R3 seems to be a more refined case than the P183, honestly. The original P180 series was very solid, but they haven't seen too many improvements, and Antec seems to be relying mostly on their reputation than actual innovation with this series.

Edit: I agree with Jammin, though. P280 looks sick.

Edited by iskout

Considering I absolutley hate Antec, I would go with the R3. However, that is 100 bucks you could spend on other things. Instead of buying a new case, coupld you post pics of your cable management? Maybe we could help you with how to manage your cables so that you could save 100 bucks with some zip ties and duct tape.

The R3 is a great case for being quiet, and you would actually be impressed with the build quality. So if all else fails, it is a great case for you to put your build in :thumbsup:

Considering I absolutley hate Antec, I would go with the R3. However, that is 100 bucks you could spend on other things. Instead of buying a new case, coupld you post pics of your cable management? Maybe we could help you with how to manage your cables so that you could save 100 bucks with some zip ties and duct tape.

The R3 is a great case for being quiet, and you would actually be impressed with the build quality. So if all else fails, it is a great case for you to put your build in :thumbsup:

I just took notice of the P280 today coincidentally.. lol. And Tjj, I don't really have much cable management to speak of right now. I'm slowing getting new parts in for the new rig so I've just done bare minimum tying up of some wires. The problem is that the P180 doesn't really give you much anywhere to rout wires. All the examples of good cable management I've seen online for the P180 involved drilling or hacking up the case, and I'm not comfortable doing that to my case.

I headed to some local shops today and really liked the Corsair 600T actually, the white one in particular. I can't find any shop that has the R3 on display and I'm a bit reluctant to plop down $100 for a case I haven't seen in person. But I loved the cable management options in the 600T, as well as the easy to remove side panels. Does anyone know how quiet the 600T is and how it compares to the Antec P280/183 V3 or the R3?

I don't share your hatred of Antec btw, I'm not sure why you don't like them since aside from the cable management, I love the look of my P180 and it's a pretty solid case. :O

Why do you hate Antec? They're usually a very nice company, I'm just not a fan of the P183.

Why do you hate Antec? They're usually a very nice company, I'm just not a fan of the P183.

I used to have a lot of antec stuff. PSU, a case, and some case fans. They all started going bad one by one. To me that isn't a real problem since stuff like that happens. The PSU died and it was only 2 months after I bought it, so you would think getting it replaced under warranty wouldn't be a problem right? NOPE! I called them up, and spent 4 hours on hold just to hear a distinct pick up and direct hang up. Like click click. Now I am a patient guy. I realized that some people just get overwhelmed and just kind of break down. So I just gave who ever picked up the phone a break. I called Antec back, and spent another 2 hours on the phone........... the lady I spoke to tried to convince me that I had no waranty on my PSU because it died because of customer damage, mind you I hadn't even touched the PSU at all. So I tried asking for a manager and she just said she couldn't do that and I had to write the manager. So I did, and I waitied for response. Well in the two weeks it took to get a response all of my fans died. All the fans I had totaled about 110 dollars and I was within warranty so I tried to claim that too. So now I am waiting for the PSU and fans (I was running a best buy borrowed PSU) and then, my case power button goes crack and the pc wont turn on. I used the jumper trick to get the thing started so I know the PC worked and that it had to be the case. So now I have all this dead stuff and I am still waiting for a response, I finally hear back from the manager. The manager says send in the PSU but the rest of the stuff if customer damage (again, I did nothing). I sent in the PSU and got it back. I plugged it in with a different case and case fans and it worked for 2 seconds and then died. It died....AGAIN!!!!!!

That is when I decided to never buy antec crap. Thankfully Corsair replaced them nicely!

Speaking of which +1 for the 600T. Here is something to consider though, if you are planning on buying a new case, what do you have to loose by modding your case for cable management? Just a thought.

I used to have a lot of antec stuff. PSU, a case, and some case fans. They all started going bad one by one. To me that isn't a real problem since stuff like that happens. The PSU died and it was only 2 months after I bought it, so you would think getting it replaced under warranty wouldn't be a problem right? NOPE! I called them up, and spent 4 hours on hold just to hear a distinct pick up and direct hang up. Like click click. Now I am a patient guy. I realized that some people just get overwhelmed and just kind of break down. So I just gave who ever picked up the phone a break. I called Antec back, and spent another 2 hours on the phone........... the lady I spoke to tried to convince me that I had no waranty on my PSU because it died because of customer damage, mind you I hadn't even touched the PSU at all. So I tried asking for a manager and she just said she couldn't do that and I had to write the manager. So I did, and I waitied for response. Well in the two weeks it took to get a response all of my fans died. All the fans I had totaled about 110 dollars and I was within warranty so I tried to claim that too. So now I am waiting for the PSU and fans (I was running a best buy borrowed PSU) and then, my case power button goes crack and the pc wont turn on. I used the jumper trick to get the thing started so I know the PC worked and that it had to be the case. So now I have all this dead stuff and I am still waiting for a response, I finally hear back from the manager. The manager says send in the PSU but the rest of the stuff if customer damage (again, I did nothing). I sent in the PSU and got it back. I plugged it in with a different case and case fans and it worked for 2 seconds and then died. It died....AGAIN!!!!!!

That is when I decided to never buy antec crap. Thankfully Corsair replaced them nicely!

Speaking of which +1 for the 600T. Here is something to consider though, if you are planning on buying a new case, what do you have to loose by modding your case for cable management? Just a thought.

Well first off I don't have the tools to do any sort of mod like that. Second I have neither the skill and experience to do so and I'm scared to mess up my case like that, so yeah.. that's what I have to lose. :P