I'm Disgusted

Kamikaze_Badger

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/11/military-tricare-stolen-data-letters-111811w/

Letters are arriving in the mailboxes of 4.9 million Tricare beneficiaries whose names and personal information were stolen in Texas in September, notifying recipients that their information was indeed among the data stolen and providing instructions for getting free credit monitoring.

The notifications, from defense contractor Science Applications International Corp., also contain report authorization forms.

Because the paperwork asks for Social Security numbers — needed for identification and monitoring purposes — Tricare is urging beneficiaries to examine the letters carefully.

“Please doublecheck the letter you received from SAIC to ensure contact information matches the toll-free phone numbers as these are the only valid phone numbers to verify authenticity and obtain assistance. Call the SAIC Incidence Response Call Center at … 1-855-366-0140; International, call collect: 1-952-556-8312,” Tricare officials said in a release Friday.

The data was contained on computer disks stolen from an SAIC employee’s car — a theft reported to Tricare officials Sept. 14.

In late September, Tricare announced the data loss on its website; both Tricare and SAIC have deemed the risk of the compromised information as low, but in the wake of class-action lawsuits filed against the Defense Department and SAIC, both took more proactive measures, to include notifying beneficiaries and offering credit monitoring.

“These additional proactive security measures exceed the industry standard to protect against the risk of identity theft,” Brig. Gen. W. Bryan Gamble, Tricare Management Agency deputy director, said in a release.

A SAIC spokesman said the company has received reports from Tricare beneficiaries who say their information has been misused. But the company has not confirmed that the misuse is tied to the SAIC data loss, said spokesman Vernon Guidry.

“We are investigating it, pursuing those to see if it’s connected,” he said.

The breach involved patients seen at military hospitals and clinics in San Antonio for the past 19 years. It is among the largest losses of data health care information in the past decade.

On Nov. 14, California health care organization Sutter Medical Foundation announced that the personal information of 4 million customers was contained on a desktop computer that was stolen.

I got my letter today. Why am I disgusted? This happened OVER TWO MONTHS AGO, and just now they're going to let the affected people know after lawsuits are being filed for damages already done. Way to go, DoD, way to go.

Two months is actually pretty fast from a military prospective! :lol:

Seriously. You should be happy it wasn't 2 years.

All joking aside, you have every right to be angry. This is a pretty serious matter which could (and likely will) cost someone quite a lot.

Way to go, DoD, way to go.

The only thing the DoD does better than taking too long to inform people of something is to not inform people of something at all.

The sad thing is that even though I know that...I still let them pay me. :lol:

The only thing the DoD does better than taking too long to inform people of something is to not inform people of something at all.

The sad thing is that even though I know that...I still let them pay me. :lol:

I hear ya Waco.

Kamikaze: The event upsets me as well, however, you're right; they could have told customers sooner. Timeliness is everything. So much more could have been protected in two days time rather than two months.

DoD moves so slow, it is incredible. We're getting cuts across the board, Army wide, yet my unit continues to test war mechanics and new products before deployment to war zone regions. Ridiculous.

Edited by gebraset