Sign in to follow this  
neko77025

Overclocking with Old CPU & new MB... Grrr

Few weeks back my old motherboard (Asus M3a79-T Deluxe) was given me issues again. Well with skyrim being only A few days away ... I order the Asus Crosshair V Formula.

Figured I would give the Asus overclocking tools A shot at doing the work for me. I did the extreme ( ups volts ). The run came back with 230 x 17 = 3910Mhz, then then tryed the next go but crashed. That was it, never change the CPU multiplier from the default of 17x. Being my CPU is 965 Black Edition (unlocked multiplier) I found this odd. I then try manual O.C. in bios with 230x 18.5 this would not work. At this point I tryed A few diffrent combos of numbers all with my CPU volts at 1.45 - 1.50 . Every time I try to move the CPU multiplier above 17 it becomes unstable.

I find this all very odd, With the M3a79-T I could run the multiplier at 20x but could never get the cpu bus past 203.

is my CPU going bad.. (runs with out issue if not OCed or with the 230x 17).

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) [ Asus list this as working at 1866 ]

Zalman CNPS9900 MAX .. temps are like 50c with load.

Asus Crosshair V Formula

AMD 965 ( that I have had for 2 years now & ran @ 1.5v 203x20= 4060 on old MB)

What do yall think...

Maybe a BIOS update is needed?

yea my bios is updated , also tryed the one before. Both of them do the same thing.

I just tryed a bumping the muitplier up and leaving the bus at 200 ... I can get the muitplier up to 18 with 200bus .. at 18.5 it crashes right way ( not sure how stable the 18x is .. just runing 3dmark 11 physics test too see what crashes fast ). So with A 18x I can get the bus up to 211 (211x18 = 3798) .. would be better to run the 230 x 17 for the 3910Mhz ... Man this is really . me off that my old DDR2 Motherboard was geting A higher Mhz. If i could just the muilplier to 18.5 or 19 i would be happy.

So confused.

Starting too think my old motherboard was not going out .. that it was my cpu maybe.... GRRR

(was blue screens with memory error issues , DIMM slots would stop working ... had too send it in once too asus .. they fixed it and sent it back ... but would not tell me what was wrong ).

If I were to get A new CPU.. witch would yall go for .. 980, 1100 or One of the buldozer 8 cores ? ... really dont want too deal with all the issues of games not working on the new buldozer cpus .. i know that is just a temp thing but ..still.