JJDARK21

IVY BRIDGE E OR WAIT FOR HASWELL

Oh the joys of processors. First, let me clarify some things. The sandy bridge Es are amazing chips. I went to a show case in DC before the release date, and even then, they out performed the 990X by about 30%. Since they came out 3 days ago, there have been reports of overclocks as high as 4.5 ghz on air, so I don't thing you will be disappointed with the E series at all. The disappointment that has been going around was that these were originally supposed to be 8 cores. They actually are 8 core processors, but they were all speed binned, and when a core or two didn't work, they would fuse off two cores to make a working chip. So right now the 3690X is sort of the intel trash, and the ones that worked fine became the Xeon processors which do have 8 cores and 16 threads. HOWEVER, intel trash still out performs every other consumer chip on the market....by a lot. What should be noted is that in July they will be releasing the full 8 core 16 thread processors that they promised. So basically sandy bridge Es aren't disappointing, but rather it is annoying since intel is just up to their usual business crap.

Since they will be releasing the 8 core versions later on down the road, I would go with that. That chip will probably be the flag ship processor for I would guess 3 years. It should carry you all the way to intel Skylake processors.

"Their saying that Haswell will require a new socket, LGA 1150? Like what the efff, why with all the socket changes Intel?"

Simple really, the architecture of the chip is said to allow for DDR4 memory, plus it will allow the user of the board to accept the intel broadwell chip, much the same way sandy bridge boards will accept ivy bridge chips. So the new socket change will actually be a good thing considering that you can apply it with a whole new generation of tech.

As to what you should wait for, I would say wait for ivy bridge. However, not the preliminary release of the chip. I have a feeling that intel will be releasing a new chip set for the processor much like what we saw with the release of the z68 chip set, and that is when you should buy in. As long as you get the latest chip set and processor, then it should last you until Skylake and Skymont which comes out in 2016. Right now just isn't the best time to go with a flag ship intel product. Unless ivy bridge flops, HARD, you wont see any gaming performance difference between the two for quite a while. In fact, by the time games would come out with high enough settings to show a difference in processors, I gather you would be starting a new build by that time any ways.

Lastly, for all you Intel rumor lovers. Intel Skylake will have 12 cores and 24 threads on a 14nm architecture. Base clock is scheduled to be 5ghz base with a 6ghz turbo, and supposedly they are aiming to have it overclockable all the way up to 7 ghz! I am not allowed to name my source, but what I can say is that this is just what they are aiming for, they haven't started the architecture yet so it could end up being a lot of different things. However, that is still exciting to me, and I hope I brought a smile to your faces as well :D .

Bro, your source better be right.. b/c those are some NOICE specs!

Tj where do you work and in what position?

Lol I don't work. I trade stocks mostly. A lot of my friends work for a defense contractor in Quantico VA (I live 15 miles from the bomb testing site, and it is quite annoying to hear BOOOOOOOOOOM at 2 in the morning), and they do a lot of deals with intel for com. systems. Nothing real fancy, but it gets me close to intel. They usually invite me along because I generally have a better understanding of architecture in the chips and I sort of consult for them. Meaning, they are the business men and I am the tech help. I am no where near good enough to be doing that for a paid position, and they are only giving me the opportunity because they know how nuts I am about computers, so don't go thinking I am trying to make myself look big. My friends are just giving me a huge +1. Unfortunately I can't share any particular details about the new processors code named Skylake, yet at the same time it probably wouldn't matter. The demonstration was more of a here is what we are going to have soon (soon for military, not soon for us), so get your money together and consider investing into intel, rather than a would you like to buy this processor. So that being the case, intel might make an even better chip as time moves on, or they could loose funding and make a worse chip. The specs I can give you are purely what intel wants to achieve, so be prepared for a lot of changes as time moves on.

I can also tell you this, intel is getting funding together to start making video cards. If that happens, be prepared to see the end of AMD by 2014. I can tell you for sure, AMD won't be able to see let alone touch Intel when hasswell comes out. I spent an hour getting upset with an AMD representative at this little meeting I went to, because he actually thought that the milliatry should buy a bunch of their octocore processors. I was pissed because I had to miss lunch to hear his nonsense. :angry:

But other than that, I can't give you any more details. There aren't even that many more details left anyways. The figures I have hear is to generate excitement for the future and not to serve as a detailed idea of what we will be buying soon to come.

I hope that clarifies things.

@TJ Angel,

Thanks for the heads up. Makes me kind of wish they would make a Gamers Chip with alot less threads and some outlandish GHZ operating frequency.

Lastly, for all you Intel rumor lovers. Intel Skylake will have 12 cores and 24 threads on a 14nm architecture. Base clock is scheduled to be 5ghz base with a 6ghz turbo, and supposedly they are aiming to have it overclockable all the way up to 7 ghz! I am not allowed to name my source, but what I can say is that this is just what they are aiming for, they haven't started the architecture yet so it could end up being a lot of different things. However, that is still exciting to me, and I hope I brought a smile to your faces as well :D .

When pigs fly. I'm calling it. :lol:

I saw a Pink pig fly at a floyd concert. And a hospital bed. I was really hammered. Most fun I ever Had that I cant quite remember :thumbsup:

I hope Tj is right about the intel chips. That would awesome.

IMO right now I feel like I am getiing burned by both AMD and Intel.

AMD gives us bad single core performance at so-so prices

Intel gives us great single core performance at insane prices.

It seems like hardware is far ahead of software needs. I may stay a few generations behind. Seems like the only way to get good performance with paying a small fortune.

Tj you are one lucky bastard :lol:

I hope these things do acctually happen but I do not think even Intel could force amd to close its gpu devision down. Nividia has been trying for years although more competition in the gpu market is very welcome.

AMD gives us bad single core performance at so-so prices

Intel gives us great single core performance at insane prices.

From what I understand AMD decided to focus on their ability to scale up the number of cores in a processor with bulldozer, and their next generation they will work on optimizing the per core performance.

I have a feeling that the optimization step was a hell of a lot more difficult than the scaling (or scaling a newly optimized core), so the believed they leave it up the (hopefully) smarter future AMD to solve the problem. All options being equal though, I think AMD made the wrong choice in their design order. As it has been said, the single core performance is what most gamers care about. AMD would have made the right choice if game programmers whole-heartedly strived for multithreading with efficient parallelization, concurrency and in their games.

The problem that always comes up is reality, which for our present case is this: if you gave the programmers a choice between driving a nail up their nose or working on the parallelism and concurrency of their code you would run out of nails.

Hey I'm with Waco, I'm just not kind of person that goes believing what someone behind a computer says. popcorn.gif

Hey I'm with Waco, I'm just not kind of person that goes believing what someone behind a computer says. popcorn.gif

I am not expecting you to. However, even if you don't believe me at face value, think of it this way. Skylake's architecture will be 14nm and Skymont will be 10nm architecture. This is because intel will be finding new ways of building transistors. Transistors are they key to performance and number of cores in a processor. With the release of Ivy Bridge, we will see 3D transistors.

So you can see that intel is actually packing in more transistor throughput into the same space, but you are using less power to turn that gate on and off. This means that cores can be smaller and have higher frequency for the same heat generated by a sandy bridge processor. HOWEVER, because this is Intel's first go at this sort of a technology, it might be a bumpy ride with some minor kinks. We aren't going to be seeing the real benefit until haswell comes out. This is rumored to have intel's first consumer grade 6 core processor (not what I heard at the meeting, but rather from rumor websites). Personally, with the release of the octocores on the AMD side it seems unlikely that we won't be seeing more cores on the intel side too. Not right now obviously since BD flopped so hard, but as time moves forward AMD will fix the architecture on the chip and Intel will be forced to raise the bar.

Basically what I am trying to say is, even if you don't believe me, believe the rate at which technology is improving. When you sit down and think about it, is a twelve core processor really that unlikely? I would be very surprised if we don't see 12 core processors with in the next 4 years based on mores law alone.