IVY BRIDGE E OR WAIT FOR HASWELL

hi guys after the dissapointment that i had with sandy bridge e and his performance in gaming decided to buy a 2600k and stay with it until new processesors come out so my question is should i wait for ivy bridge e lga 2011 to come out in november of next year and buy it or wait till hasswell arrives?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think sandy bridge e is disappointing, look at the Intel Core i7-3960X . If you had one why would you go buy a 2600K? Also you can never tell with new CPUs until the benchmarks come out.

I agree with Boinker on this. I actually think that when the SB-E is released you will see more performance than these early tests indicate. Maybe not alot more, but certainly more OC headroom and thus higher stat results. Its the pricing though, that is the decider. Do most people want to pay for that extra performance if it doesnt really translate into say mainstream gaming improvements.

The IVYbridge on an 1155 platform may end up being the HOT pricepoint solution for many. Just sayin.

I don't think sandy bridge e is disappointing, look at the Intel Core i7-3960X . If you had one why would you go buy a 2600K? Also you can never tell with new CPUs until the benchmarks come out.

i didnt have one i wanted to buy a 3930k but after i saw the reviews i got dissapointed about the performance in gaming sure 3930k and 3960x are a improvement on 3d rendering video encoding music encoding etc but its not like its hell faster than a 2600k so that lto me doesnt justify the price of buying a sandy bridge e and x79 motherboard so instead of that i bought a 2600k and a asus maximus iv extreme z that its cheaper and has the same and even winning in performance in alot of games i wanted sandy bridge e i really wanted it and i was very excited about it but after seeing the reviews it got dissapointing

Edited by JJDARK21

I would wait for haswell to se what happens. Depending on What setup you gave now that 600 dollar chip may not be worth it at all.

my old setup that i gave up over the 2600k was a i7 920 on a dfi ut x58 motherboard damn i miss dfi

Oh the joys of processors. First, let me clarify some things. The sandy bridge Es are amazing chips. I went to a show case in DC before the release date, and even then, they out performed the 990X by about 30%. Since they came out 3 days ago, there have been reports of overclocks as high as 4.5 ghz on air, so I don't thing you will be disappointed with the E series at all. The disappointment that has been going around was that these were originally supposed to be 8 cores. They actually are 8 core processors, but they were all speed binned, and when a core or two didn't work, they would fuse off two cores to make a working chip. So right now the 3690X is sort of the intel trash, and the ones that worked fine became the Xeon processors which do have 8 cores and 16 threads. HOWEVER, intel trash still out performs every other consumer chip on the market....by a lot. What should be noted is that in July they will be releasing the full 8 core 16 thread processors that they promised. So basically sandy bridge Es aren't disappointing, but rather it is annoying since intel is just up to their usual business crap.

Since they will be releasing the 8 core versions later on down the road, I would go with that. That chip will probably be the flag ship processor for I would guess 3 years. It should carry you all the way to intel Skylake processors.

"Their saying that Haswell will require a new socket, LGA 1150? Like what the efff, why with all the socket changes Intel?"

Simple really, the architecture of the chip is said to allow for DDR4 memory, plus it will allow the user of the board to accept the intel broadwell chip, much the same way sandy bridge boards will accept ivy bridge chips. So the new socket change will actually be a good thing considering that you can apply it with a whole new generation of tech.

As to what you should wait for, I would say wait for ivy bridge. However, not the preliminary release of the chip. I have a feeling that intel will be releasing a new chip set for the processor much like what we saw with the release of the z68 chip set, and that is when you should buy in. As long as you get the latest chip set and processor, then it should last you until Skylake and Skymont which comes out in 2016. Right now just isn't the best time to go with a flag ship intel product. Unless ivy bridge flops, HARD, you wont see any gaming performance difference between the two for quite a while. In fact, by the time games would come out with high enough settings to show a difference in processors, I gather you would be starting a new build by that time any ways.

Lastly, for all you Intel rumor lovers. Intel Skylake will have 12 cores and 24 threads on a 14nm architecture. Base clock is scheduled to be 5ghz base with a 6ghz turbo, and supposedly they are aiming to have it overclockable all the way up to 7 ghz! I am not allowed to name my source, but what I can say is that this is just what they are aiming for, they haven't started the architecture yet so it could end up being a lot of different things. However, that is still exciting to me, and I hope I brought a smile to your faces as well :D .