Sign in to follow this  
Shingy

Advice on build

Why do you have a 2400 a locked cpu with a z68 board? you may as well go for a H67 board and save heaps on the mobo unless you bump it to a 2500k. True you can use SRT with the Z68 but your not using the board to it full CPU potential.

Also if he is using it for internet browsing and work ect at least get hime to pick up a second monitor 19" or so for around $99 tops. If it is the same aspect ratio and pixle count as the tv which is likely 1920x1080 then your average 19" monitor would be fine to just swap displays frequently. Trying to use a plasma to surf the net is silly especially with the far higher electricity bill. However for movies and games it's perfect.

Actually I only chose the z68 because it was the cheapest board I could find at the store I was looking at. I didn't know there were lower end boards for the LGA 1155's. How does this board look? I'm not planning on doing any overclocking or anything like that for this build. As for the CPU I'm sure a 2400 is enough.

Oh and I might talk to him about the monitor thing. Surfing the web on a 42" plasma does sound a bit silly lol.

Edited by Shingy

Okay first the 2400 is fine, he can get a mild overclock easily, while not as great as the K series he will still get good performance. As for the SSD, can you get any of the Kingston drives? The V and V100 are both solid models that would serve you well.

As for the PSU I would look for a better brand; Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair and OCZ are a few I would consider first.

Actually I only chose the z68 because it was the cheapest board I could find at the store I was looking at. I didn't know there were lower end boards for the LGA 1155's. How does this board look? I'm not planning on doing any overclocking or anything like that for this build. As for the CPU I'm sure a 2400 is enough.

Oh and I might talk to him about the monitor thing. Surfing the web on a 42" plasma does sound a bit silly lol.

The Z68 chipset is the high end board for sandy bridge. Your board is fine, he is simply saying that because you don't have an unlocked processor, that you will not SEE the benefits, but they will still be there. I agree with computer ed. While the i5 2400 isn't what I would like to see in your build, it will get the job done no sweat, and with SRT technology, you have a screaming machine.

As for the monitor, it really all depends on how far you or your brother is sitting from your screen. I have a 24 inch monitor and it works fine when I am 3 feet from the screen for the windows desktop, and works well for full screen movies from about 10 feet. However, if you are using a windows desktop 10 feet from your screen you will probably need a 32 inch monitor. Unless you just deeply care about having a big screen, you probably won't need more than that. If you save any money with a monitor or anything pc part along the way, try to get the GTX 460. I guarantee you that that is where your computer is lacking.

Okay first the 2400 is fine, he can get a mild overclock easily, while not as great as the K series he will still get good performance. As for the SSD, can you get any of the Kingston drives? The V and V100 are both solid models that would serve you well.

As for the PSU I would look for a better brand; Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair and OCZ are a few I would consider first.

I found this Kingston drive but it including shipping it costs 20% more than the 40GB Intel 320 series. I also have to make an account probably which I can't really be bothered doing. Is it worth it? About the PSU I only chose that CM case was because it came with a power supply. Now that you bring that up I might ask the store what power supply it comes with as it provides no details about it whatsoever.

The Z68 chipset is the high end board for sandy bridge. Your board is fine, he is simply saying that because you don't have an unlocked processor, that you will not SEE the benefits, but they will still be there. I agree with computer ed. While the i5 2400 isn't what I would like to see in your build, it will get the job done no sweat, and with SRT technology, you have a screaming machine.

As for the monitor, it really all depends on how far you or your brother is sitting from your screen. I have a 24 inch monitor and it works fine when I am 3 feet from the screen for the windows desktop, and works well for full screen movies from about 10 feet. However, if you are using a windows desktop 10 feet from your screen you will probably need a 32 inch monitor. Unless you just deeply care about having a big screen, you probably won't need more than that. If you save any money with a monitor or anything pc part along the way, try to get the GTX 460. I guarantee you that that is where your computer is lacking.

Yeah I figured out what he meant by me not using the z68 to its full potential. it is capable of doing many things that I wasn't going to make use of. About the graphics I will get a GTX 460 if I find one that is around the same price as the 550 but at the moment that seems unlikely. I cannot find one that is costs less than $60 more than the 550. What do you think of the cheaper board that I posted somewhere on the top of this page? It costs $114 compared to the $180 z68. Keep in mind this is in NZD

Edited by Shingy

Yeah I figured out what he meant by me not using the z68 to its full potential. it is capable of doing many things that I wasn't going to make use of. About the graphics I will get a GTX 460 if I find one that is around the same price as the 550 but at the moment that seems unlikely. I cannot find one that is costs less than $60 more than the 550. What do you think of the cheaper board that I posted somewhere on the top of this page? It costs $114 compared to the $180 z68. Keep in mind this is in NZD

Oh he** no. That board is meant for HTPC's and pretty much nothing else. The H61 chip set is useless if you want to have any sort of medium to high end build. But hey, keep your eyes open for sales. I don't know what the holiday season is like in New Zeland with things like sales, but if they work anything like the US, then you might be able to pick up your parts super cheap in a week or so. Remeber to always keep your eyes open for the best deal out there. The gtx 460 I think is really important for the build though. The 550ti is reported to have really slow FPS in fire fights and what not. I think that if you can score a sale here and there you should be able to just barley squeeze in a 460. You could always post an advertisement as a buyer for a video card in the market place of this website. I am not sure how much shipping would be like, but you might be able to score a good deal. Just my two cents.

Oh he** no. That board is meant for HTPC's and pretty much nothing else. The H61 chip set is useless if you want to have any sort of medium to high end build. But hey, keep your eyes open for sales. I don't know what the holiday season is like in New Zeland with things like sales, but if they work anything like the US, then you might be able to pick up your parts super cheap in a week or so. Remeber to always keep your eyes open for the best deal out there. The gtx 460 I think is really important for the build though. The 550ti is reported to have really slow FPS in fire fights and what not. I think that if you can score a sale here and there you should be able to just barley squeeze in a 460. You could always post an advertisement as a buyer for a video card in the market place of this website. I am not sure how much shipping would be like, but you might be able to score a good deal. Just my two cents.

Oh.. right.. I'll keep it as the z68 then. Also I want all of my parts new because reliability in the long run is pretty important for this build, so I don't know if the marketplace would work for me.

Anyway regarding the PSU that comes with the case, they told me "They are just a base PSU from Coolermaster (They normally label it Thermalmaster). It is not a 80plus certified PSU. (This PSU is only good for very basic machines). If you want something that is of a decent quality and reliable then buy a Corsair or Seasonic PSU." Yeah I think I'm going to pick a different case with a separate quality PSU.

You should probably shoot for about 650 to 750 watts. Seasonics are great, but they aren't worth 100 for a 430w PSU :lol: . You might want to shoot for a corsair 650w psu. Really the most important thing is that it is about 700 watts modular and has a 80 plus certification. I doesn't HAVE to be a premium company it just has to have good ratings to avoid DOAs and headaches :teehee: .

Actually I went sort by lowest price to highest, looked for the first decent looking one and that's how I found the seasonic. NZ currency is pretty low. I'll consider the corsairs. I am also thinking about buying the antec sonata iii case that comes with the antec earthwatts 500w psu. Is that decent? This system isn't going to use much power.

Had a talk with my brother. Here is the revised build:

ASUS P8Z68-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 (supports USB3 unlike the Gigabyte)

SILVERSTONE STRIDER PLUS ST50F-P 500W (Modular, cheap, and 80 Plus Bronze)

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Kit CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

LG CH12LS28 Blu-ray Combo 12x Super Multi Blue LightScribe

Intel Core i5 2400 Sandy Bridge 3.10GHz 6MB 95W LGA1155

Intel 320 Series 40GB 3GB/s 25nm SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti FPB 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E

Antec Fusion Remote Black HTPC Enclosure (he is going to put it into his TV cabinet, also it comes with a remote which he could really use, and looks amazing)

How does it look?