Need help deciding on a cooler

HeyYoWL

Just a heads up The antec 920 might not be the best option. I talked to my guy at Microcenter and he was saying that a lot of people return them and go with the h50. There is also a big problem with leaks, but I blame that on shipping.

Never seen a leak issue on either Corsair or Antec and I have put in a lot of both this year. Also look at the return option they mentioned, going from a double width to a single width. This sounds more like they are wanting a smaller cooler, which makes sense for a lot of people. If you are a heavy overclocker the extra cooling is nice but if you only do light or no overclocking then the single width can easily handle the load and takes less space plus saves money.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a case designed for silent use why go with anything other than the noctura as it is brilliant for quiet cooling.

Also the Intel cooler will be like the amd one and it will be some other companies cooler with the Intel logo stuck on it where the other company usually dumps its logos.

Never seen a leak issue on either Corsair or Antec and I have put in a lot of both this year. Also look at the return option they mentioned, going from a double width to a single width. This sounds more like they are wanting a smaller cooler, which makes sense for a lot of people. If you are a heavy overclocker the extra cooling is nice but if you only do light or no overclocking then the single width can easily handle the load and takes less space plus saves money.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say the 920 is a good cooler. I was just surprised when I heard how many people were returning it. I figured it was the customers fault, or maybe poor shipping to the store? However, I figured it was something important to note just in case something strange really does happen with the cooler. So I am not saying it shouldn't be considered, but rather be cautious because you can always return your cooler if it leaks, you can't return your computer if it is fried.

You have a case designed for silent use why go with anything other than the noctura as it is brilliant for quiet cooling.

Also the Intel cooler will be like the amd one and it will be some other companies cooler with the Intel logo stuck on it where the other company usually dumps its logos.

Mainly because I was looking to use something not so huge is all. I like how much smaller the AIO water coolers were, but guess won't get good performance out of them unless I run at max fan speeds, which would be super loud. I think I will go with the D14 though, it sounds like the best option all things considered. Maybe in the future whenever we move out of the apartment and I get my own room for the computer I'll go with those one of those things but for now D14 would be best I guess. Also, does anyone here have any experience with the Fractal Design Define R3? I hear great things about it but any YouTube video I see of it no one has the case just on without any lame background music or a lot of talking.

Mainly because I was looking to use something not so huge is all. I like how much smaller the AIO water coolers were, but guess won't get good performance out of them unless I run at max fan speeds, which would be super loud. I think I will go with the D14 though, it sounds like the best option all things considered. Maybe in the future whenever we move out of the apartment and I get my own room for the computer I'll go with those one of those things but for now D14 would be best I guess. Also, does anyone here have any experience with the Fractal Design Define R3? I hear great things about it but any YouTube video I see of it no one has the case just on without any lame background music or a lot of talking.

A few people on here have a refine or even two in pulktreg's case, kwok I think has one and i am getting a fractal design refine XL soon. It is a good case. Better looking than the antec but should sound similar in the end it comes down to the fans used. IMO the refine is better through it's looks SPCR recommends the antec still but should also have a review of the R3.

Would there be any good quiet fans you guys would recommend for case fans? The Gently Typhoons seem pretty popular, as well as the Noctua NF-P12, but is there anything else you guys would recommend?

great case!

Just for clarification, I don't run the H80 at full because I need to. I run it at full because it is quiet enough to where it doesn't bother me.

Like I said, if you are going for a quiet build - focus on the video card and the fans. I hear Fractals are very good in that regard - tho no first hand xp. The video card is the only thing in my build that is loud. The case fans can be heard but they aren't bad at all. The type of noise they make is more of an issue than the volume. All my other computers I can hear from the next room over, except this build, on idle. Now on load, the video card is loud and would definitely keep someone up at night if they were in the same room.

OP asked me to provide detail on the 600T Corsair Case so here is a quick vid I made last night after training. I panned around a bit much so edited a few seconds in two spots.

Keep in mind this volume is with my camera RIGHT next to the PC - farthest it gets is ~1 foot. I probably should haved backed away a few feet as even just going back that far diminishes the sound quite a bit. With a completely silent place in the middle of the night, I have to listen hard to hear it from the next room and my PC is 3ft from the door. That said I am sure there are quieter cases out there.

I panned in really close so you can hear the type of noise the case fans make.

I filmed the startup sound into idle - takes my pc roughly 30-32s to boot up into desktop. You'll hear the transition even though I don't show it.

I filmed my typical gaming load - with Temps.

BF3 is the only exception where my video card goes wonkers on that game. You will see I typically run at 68C, where as it shoots up to 86C on BF3 and BF3 only. Then the PC makes a friggen racket. I didn't film BF3 load because I blame that ALL on my video card. The CPU temp will typically only go up 2° on BF3. So you are already hearing the H80 on load. Highest temp I have seen for the CPU was 50C but that was in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC1r8MG-y_U

I have had the 920,H100, NH-D14, and The Thermalright Silver Arrow in my shop and benched them.

A high level summary...

the best of them were the D-14 and the Silver Arrow. They were within a degree of each other

The H-100 was only 2 degrees warmer, but need much faster fans, and was considerably noisier

The 920 was 6c warmer and rather noisy as well.

The recent Closed loops units are not quite there yet compared to the top air cooled units. I went with the Silver Arrow, but either the SA or the D-14 will give you the best results if you are OC'ing .

First off, hats off to you Fogel for taking the time to record that, it really helped. That being said would you say the loudest component of your rig to be the video card, case or H80? It seems pretty loud in that video there and I'm trying to figure out what would be quietest since the bedroom would be dead silent at night.

Red1776, really? Even on the quietest setting the 920 is noisy? There was recently a sale here and the 920 I got is currently unopened. After MIR it's $59.99. The DH14 is $79.99 regular price at the moment. So you think I should return this 920 and wait for possible upcoming sale on the DH14 then?