SSD + HDD

Brutality

So I just won Kingston 128GB SSDNOW V100 at S7LAN (won Worms Reloaded tournament), and I was wondering how do I set it up, so that I have the SSD as primary, i.e. for OS and applications/programs

and then my 1.5TB HDD (see sig), as secondary, for music etc.

Edited by Brutality

Oh, lol. Um.. install the OS and all your programs on the SSD, and store all the media files on your HDD? Unless you have something that can back-up your disk, like Acronis Home True Image or Norton Ghost, you'd have to do a fresh install.

Don't use acronis. I got it to work, but it was a very buggy system because you have to repartition your hard drive to the right size and its jut a mess. Simply use the win 7 boot disk, and if you don't find your original disk, then just find your product key with a key finder. Then torrent the BOOT DISK which is not illegal because it could be considered a trial version, then ue your legal product key to activate it.

But yeah, just slap your SSD in your computer and install windows and all of its updates along with any programs you want on it. It would be easier to do with with out your hard drive in the computer just so you don't have to mess with partitions and such. If you still feel unsure about how to do it, just type your question in the search bard in google videos and see if a tutorial comes up.

So I just put start by installing OS on the SSD, and then later I connect my HDD to my system as well - I don't need to do anything so the system recognizes the SSD as my primary storage and my HDD as secondary storage (I've never had more than 1 hard drive connected before, nor any ssd)

I just found this, and was just wondering if any of the steps are not advised to do?

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/#disqus_thread

So I just put start by installing OS on the SSD, and then later I connect my HDD to my system as well - I don't need to do anything so the system recognizes the SSD as my primary storage and my HDD as secondary storage (I've never had more than 1 hard drive connected before, nor any ssd)

I just found this, and was just wondering if any of the steps are not advised to do?

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/#disqus_thread

They are all good thing to do, but if you don't follow the steps exactly they way they are written, you could really end up messing up your entire pc. I would say that you should only do the teps you feel comfortable with. That way you minimize the possibility of doing something by accident like deleting a registry. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

They are all good thing to do, but if you don't follow the steps exactly they way they are written, you could really end up messing up your entire pc. I would say that you should only do the teps you feel comfortable with. That way you minimize the possibility of doing something by accident like deleting a registry. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Ok thanks

But I am still not 100% sure as to how I do this;

Should I just swap my HDD with my SSD to start with (i.e. only got SSD connected, and the HDD is lying somewhere in my room)

Then I use it until I manage to use all 128GB (well minus some, for formatting etc.), at which point I pick up my 1.5TB hdd again and connect it --> next time I boot up, I still see my SSD as my C: drive but now I also have a 1.5TB drive

I don't have to do anything for the 1.5TB drive to work?

I've never had two drives connected at the same time and google isn't helping me (only getting topics about how to get them to work together, but I want them to work separetely, i.e. SSD for applications and games, and HDD for storage (music, videos etc.)

First and foremost:

Back up anything you want to keep on your current HDD - External HDD, DVD burn, whatever

Why? Because I recommend formatting that HDD. Can probably do without it, but I think it will be cleaner and you will be less prone to issues down the line.

Step 1: Update the firmware on your P8P67 Pro if you haven't already ...and download the newest firmware for your SSD onto a flash drive

Step 2: Turn off machine, switch PSU off, and unplug everything from the machine

Step 3: After waiting 10min or more, grounding yourself, open case and remove old HDD

Step 4: Install new SSD and reattach all wires/cables

Step 5: Turn on machine and get into BIOS immediately - change the boot options to CD => SSD (and nothing else)

Step 6: Before leaving the BIOS also set your SATA drive to AHCI - save and exit

Step 7: (Optional) Reboot and go back into BIOS to confirm settings saved

Step 8: Put your Win7 CD in and exit BIOS so your machine reboots this time going to Windows - Install Windows (no customization needed for SSD)

Step 9: Once Windows is installed change your boot options to SSD (only)

Step 10: Update the SSD firmware then update Windows ASAP

Once you are satisfied Windows is installed correctly on your SSD, connect your old HDD drive. Now if your machine is currently set to IDE you may have issues seeing the data on your drive.

- Format your old HDD (there are multiple ways of accomplishing this so use the one you feel most comfortable with)

Once you are satisified everything is working with your SSD, you can format your old HDD and use it as a storage drive and to install the bulk of your programs. I would use the SSD for Windows, the programs you care about the most and maybe 2-3 games. I would not install Steam on it. SSD space goes quick and you want to leave 20% free.