The Hive

Muchoman1

yeah i doubt this will splinter or break, its the 18mm thick stuff, also its high density fiberboard, so a grade above mdf

Just make sure you never leak your water loops onto the mdf because your lovely desk would expand and be ruined.

Always predrill ends and give it a nice sealing coat at the end.

Just make sure you never leak your water loops onto the mdf because your lovely desk would expand and be ruined.

Always predrill ends and give it a nice sealing coat at the end.

yeah, i think it will be quite protected cause atm i am painting it with 2 basecoats, 3 black coats and at least 3 coats of clear laquer

yeah, i think it will be quite protected cause atm i am painting it with 2 basecoats, 3 black coats and at least 3 coats of clear laquer

Should look very slick :thumbsup: I recommend getting some t-mould to finish the edges though. Even that many coats never come right no the edge of mdf.

There are quite a few aussie arcade part suppliers that sell t-mould in all sorts of colours and widths for finishing all the edges of arcade cabs.

Should look very slick :thumbsup: I recommend getting some t-mould to finish the edges though. Even that many coats never come right no the edge of mdf.

There are quite a few aussie arcade part suppliers that sell t-mould in all sorts of colours and widths for finishing all the edges of arcade cabs.

sounds like something i will look into, thanks

hey again, sorry for little updates, skyrim and other things (starting with 's' and ending in "kyrim") have made it difficult to work on the desk, but today i bought a jigsaw and got to work cutting the main panel for the chair slot

2011-11-20163112.jpg

2011-11-20162911.jpg

measuring the main piece for cutting

2011-11-20170019.jpg

hole cut

2011-11-20170037.jpg

test chair in

tomorrow i will begin painting the legs and tiding up the cuts on the main panel

muchoman1

Are you going to be adding bracing underneath? I made my desk out of MDF and I will probably end up bracing it a bit to keep it from flexing. I have a 70 pound monitor, but still, it'd be better off braced. Mine is about HALF the width of yours too. :lol:

Are you going to be adding bracing underneath? I made my desk out of MDF and I will probably end up bracing it a bit to keep it from flexing. I have a 70 pound monitor, but still, it'd be better off braced. Mine is about HALF the width of yours too. :lol:

Yes i will add bracing, its thick mdf but it is so long it needs it. in the above pics you can see a car stand i was using while cutting, and that gave me the idea to add a smaller third leg in the middle, which will only extend to the edge of the cutout. Also remember that that big sheet is only the base of the desk section, still gotta put the.sides and top on. Most of the top is taken up by a 2m x .8m sheet of glass, that ive had specially tinted so when the cathodes are off you cant see through it