Odds that GPUs can't handle max OC from CCC?

Brutality

Ok so I was just wondering, since I often read (in overclocking guides) that gpus easily surpass the limits of Catalyst Control Center, and since I've got to attend S7LAN (local LAN party, 170 ppl) in 2½ hours (I'd like to take a nap soon as well, since I haven't got much sleep lately)

So my questions is basically: Can I crank up the clocks in CCC (= 840 on the core and 1325 on the memory (stock clocks are 800/1250)), and assume it's stable?

PS: I also put +20% on the power settings

As some have noticed I tried, since Monday to overclock it and stress test it, but I overshot the capabilites lots of times and wasted hours stress testing, just to see it fail in a game.

So I'll be honest now, at this moment I've had the core on 840 and mem on 1325 for a bit now (passed CineBench OpenGL test and had 2 passes of heaven 2.5 with highest settings without any errors - I also played TrackMania for 10 mins and I have Crysis 2 running now (from my overclocking experience Crysis 2 is what stresses it most (I've tried having it pass OGL test, 30 mins in Heaven, 30 mins in Kombustor, browsed YouTube for 1 hour (watch in full screen), play Trackmania for 1 hour, and then I open Crysis 2 and it crashes within 5 mins)

So Crysis 2 been running for 15 mins now, and no crash, no artifacts and no crazy temps ^^

Ok so, back when I was trying to overclock it (and overshot many times) I ended at 877, which held for 55 mins in Crysis 2 - so imo 840 shouldn't be a problem?

But why do I want to overclock it in a rush?

Well Skyrim has just been released, and I can actually run it in highest possible graphics settings at 1920x1200 without laggy fps, but only if I turn down some options in CCC (i.e. set AA quality to MultiSample instead of Super Sample and use Standard AA (instead of Edge-Detect)

So with some overclocking I bet it would handle at least the medium quality AA settings (can't remember name of that)

Cheers!

Edited by Brutality

No, I use CCC to OC and I can't go all the way up with out it be unstable. I think cooling may be the issue, IMO

Think of it like this, just because your car's speedometer goes to 150 doesn't mean you should take it to 150.

I'm running my Sapphire's Dirt3 6950 with same clocks as you. Aka maxed from CCC. I think it's stable. My temps are always under 70C. Tho the card have pretty good cooling too. I've played few hours of BF3 without problems. Also I moved the power slider to +20%.

Planning to get another card by the end of this month for XFire.

Edited by AeroZ