M-Audio AV30 VS AV40

Black64

So I just started looking for new speakers and at my work I have used the AV 40s, I love them and they sound awesome, but I can get the 30s for about $70(ebay) and the 40s for about $120(Ebay). I have a sub I would be using them with so the lows are not a really concern of mine, I like my highs and mids. So which one is the better buy? Is the AV40 worth the extra $$$?

Edited by Black6464

Have you considered other brands too?

It's not really an area I have a great deal of knowledge on what is best, but I'm sure there are plenty of other active near field monitors available.

Might be able to pick up something for less, or better for around the same price with a bit of research?

I have looked at some other stuff, but I just wanted to see if anyone has tried these yet. If anyone does have any other ideas that would be great, but I do like M-audio though.

The AV 30 and AV 40's have very little competition in there price bracket as far as sound quality goes. The av 40 is available on amazon for $120 if you would like to return them easily rather than on ebay.

The AV 40's are so good, the pair I bought for the wife are outstanding but I think I prefer the sound of my little 2.1 system. I find the AV 40's a little too accurate for my taste. I like a little color.

There is the Hercules XPS 30 and XPS 60. I have not used them but they are supposed to sound great.

There is the Ion Ion Desk Rocker which are supposed to be very good but also very ugly.

Finally the Behringer MS 40, very good, very well built too. As long as you get a good set you will be happy as goes with any of these.

I have this system Phillips 2.1, don't let the horrible reviews fool you they sound unreal. I apparently got the only working set ever made though, I have had em for a year and have not treated them too kindly and they work great. 44watts total power isn't a lot but for a small system in a small room they are perfect.

Edit: as far as the difference between the av 30 and av 40 sound wise I don't know. I would guess that the AV 40 would have more natural sounding bass and could get much louder. The av 40 as you must know since you use them at work have a very Unique bass signature, what I mean by that is that is it is very accurate and powerful without running over the mids or the highs. I would imagine that the av 30's could not do this at high volumes.

They also have a very good sound stage for a 2.0 system.

At word what volumes do you normally use the AV 40's at and what do you think you would use them at home at? If you crank them up to 60% or more at work then the av 30's would be nearly maxed out trying to keep up and I don't think you would be happy with them.

Edited by GabrielTessin

I don't need very loud sound, but I like very crisp and clean sound. I think I will get the AV30s. :thx:

Go for it, I would like to know how they sound compared to the AV 40's. Also the AV 40's are fairly massive for a computer desk.

Look into the Hercules XPS 30's. Review here. Hercules XPS 30 review. $52 on amazon now.

If you know you like the M-Audio sound you might just want to stick with them.

Edited by GabrielTessin

Go for it, I would like to know how they sound compared to the AV 40's. Also the AV 40's are fairly massive for a computer desk.

Look into the Hercules XPS 30's. Review here. Hercules XPS 30 review. $52 on amazon now.

If you know you like the M-Audio sound you might just want to stick with them.

Cool, well I just scored a pair on ebay for 48 bucks so that was a way better deal then the AV40s. Plus my desk space is limited so they should be perfect. Also thanks for the other suggestions. :cheers: