Small problems with new build

peshewah

In the system is a Core I5 2500k, MSI z68a-gd65 G3, Hyper 212+ heat sink, 2x4gb of Corsair Vengence low profile, Sapphire 6950, Antec Earth Watts 750, and 1Tb Hitachi 7200 Sata 6gb, and I think thats it. No overclock on anything. My problems are:

1. When I go into my bios my CPU temp is like 46c. But I downloaded Speed Temp ( and a another one to compare, they where the same)and it shows 33c..

2. When I get into bios settings, I go to Advance> Integrated Periphals> SATA Mode> it gives me an option to use Raid / IDE / AHCI for Sata port. So I was told to set it to AHCI. When I do that and reboot the computer trys to repair Windows so I leave it on IDE and it fine. Is that right or OK?

Also under Integrated Graphic Configuration , Do leave it enabled if I have a graphics card?

And under Power Managment Setup, it is designed to reduce power consumption when the system is turned off or on standby. Do I enable or disable?

3. I downloaded Sandra SisSofyware Light and ran a burn in test. At 100%( of what I don't know) I ran it for 20 minutes or so and it locked up. At 90% it ran but real slow so I stopped it after 20 minutes. At 85% it ran like a champ. I ran Speed Fan along with Sandra and the highest temp was 50c and that wasn't long. Does it suppose to run at 100% or is 85% good enough or bad? I'm clueless.

If you have time to think this over I would be grateful.

One other thing. When I boot up the computer, alittle before I get into Windows, it says "No hard disk found". Is it because of the SATA Mode thing? Thank you again.

Edited by peshewah

Your computer is fine. I think what you are seeing on your temperatures in your bios is your mobo temperature and NOT your CPU temperature. You can test this out by stopping the fan on your heat sink. If the temperature shoot up, it is your cpu and then you have a bad heat transfer or a really stupid bios. If it stays the same, it is your mom temperatures in which case don't worry.

As for your hard drive, yes leave it in IDE. ACHI is meant for an SSD and other assortments of things you don't need to worry about, and raid is meant for...well.. raid of which you don't have.

Yes leave your graphics on, and try and download a program called lucid virtue. This will switch between your graphics card and integrated graphics for different tasks so you can get the best performance.

As for your burn test, what you should do is go into the BIOS, load the default settings, boot into windows and download a program called Prime 95. Run that as a burn test for about 3-4 hours. If it crashes you have a problem and you need to describe every little detail about your PC that you can possibly cram in so that we can better help you. If it doesn't then problem solved.

I would say the no hard drive found is probably a sign that your hard drive is failing. If it happens again after you try to fix the rest of these problems AND do a bios update, I would RMA it to the manufacturer ASAP.

Side not to all of this. BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Last thing you want is to loose all of your pictures and stuff because your computer is a bit buggy.

The temp in the Bios reads CPU 43c, mainboard 35c. I am running the latest bios, and drivers as well. Core Temp and Speed Fan reads 33c.

I guess I need to RMA my Harddrive.

Thank you for your time.

I ran prime95 for 5 hours with no errors. According to Speed Fan my temps never got over 48c. Is that good?

Edited by peshewah

The temp in the Bios reads CPU 43c, mainboard 35c. I am running the latest bios, and drivers as well. Core Temp and Speed Fan reads 33c.

I guess I need to RMA my Harddrive.

Thank you for your time.

I ran prime95 for 5 hours with no errors. According to Speed Fan my temps never got over 48c. Is that good?

Call up MSI tech support and tell them what is happening. All your problems could be related to your mobo. They might tell you just to RMA your board. I am thinking your hard drive boot problem might be due to a faulty sata connector, but yes it doesn't hurt to RMA the hard drive.

Obviously there is something out of wack on your mobo so calling MSI should be your first priority. Not getting above 48 is good. Too good to be true however. I really makes me think that there are some bad temperature probs on your mobo .

In the system is a Core I5 2500k, MSI z68a-gd65 G3, Hyper 212+ heat sink, 2x4gb of Corsair Vengence low profile, Sapphire 6950, Antec Earth Watts 750, and 1Tb Hitachi 7200 Sata 6gb, and I think thats it. No overclock on anything. My problems are:

1. When I go into my bios my CPU temp is like 46c. But I downloaded Speed Temp ( and a another one to compare, they where the same)and it shows 33c..

I had the same issue with my motherboard. Seems many motherboards aren't optimized to know the correct distance to TJ MAXX so they report the incorrect temperature. According to Intel no program will ever know the correct temp because Intel is not willing to give up the proper information, but due to a bunch of people testing on their own a lot of programs are now very accurate.

I use Real Temp and HardWare Monitor - they vary slightly by a degree or two but definitely not the difference my BIOS reading originally had. When I updated my BIOS it started reporting temps that mirrored Real Temp. Which tells me it was just an immature BIOS.

2. When I get into bios settings, I go to Advance> Integrated Periphals> SATA Mode> it gives me an option to use Raid / IDE / AHCI for Sata port. So I was told to set it to AHCI. When I do that and reboot the computer trys to repair Windows so I leave it on IDE and it fine. Is that right or OK?

Also under Integrated Graphic Configuration , Do leave it enabled if I have a graphics card?

And under Power Managment Setup, it is designed to reduce power consumption when the system is turned off or on standby. Do I enable or disable?

I cannot confirm this as I use an SSD so mine is set to AHCI by default, but here is something you can try if you feel like toying around:

- Improve SATA hard disk performance (Convert from IDE to AHCI)

Otherwise IDE is fine, don't worry about it.

Far as the dedicated graphics is concerned - there could be some benefits, especially with video rendering as I know some benefits can be had with ASUS QuickSync and Lucid technology but I am not really up to speed on MSI's offering ...and even the ASUS offering I'd have to read up on some more to know how to take advantage of it. I say leave it on, won't hurt, might help. For the most part though IGP is rendered useless once a dedicated graphics card is implemented.

On Power Management - just leave the default.

3. I downloaded Sandra SisSofyware Light and ran a burn in test. At 100%( of what I don't know) I ran it for 20 minutes or so and it locked up. At 90% it ran but real slow so I stopped it after 20 minutes. At 85% it ran like a champ. I ran Speed Fan along with Sandra and the highest temp was 50c and that wasn't long. Does it suppose to run at 100% or is 85% good enough or bad? I'm clueless.

If you have time to think this over I would be grateful.

One other thing. When I boot up the computer, alittle before I get into Windows, it says "No hard disk found". Is it because of the SATA Mode thing? Thank you again.

Not sure on #3 to be honest.

Far as the "No hard disk found" in the bios status reading. I get that too. The Marvell controller handles IDE and eSATA ports on many boards ... all that message basically means is that you don't have anything plugged into the IDE or eSATA ports -- no big deal, since in your case, those would just be accessory drives. If your motherboard/BIOS really couldn't detect your HDD than you wouldn't be booting into Windows.

Not entirely sure but I believe that you can get that message to stop displaying by disabling the Marvell Controller in the bios, but I am not sure if that disables the IDE and eSATA ports. The message is harmless so I wouldn't worry about it and would just leave everything as is. :)

Thank you Fogel for your time and taking the time to explain things. I too think I have a immature Bios even though its the newest available. My bios also does not give a correct option for voltage memory. In other words, it don't give the option for 1.50 volts. It goes alittle above and below. From what I have read it is a common problem.

It also makes sense that it is detecting a harddrive because of Windows booting up. Thats one thing I can forget.

I will download Real Temp for now and hope they will come out with a fix for the bios.

My son has played Farm Simulator and Spore and they both frooze up on him after about an hour of play on each. But he played Fallout New Vegas on ultra high settings and had no problems. So go figure.

I guess for now I won't RMA any of my components and I'll see what happens. Don't be suprised if have another list of question in the next day or two.

I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Before I installed anything I asked on this forum how I should set the SATA option: IDE / AHCI / or Raid. I was told AHCI and I did so. I also enabled XMP. Then I installed windows. It ran OK but I expected more. It just wasn't that snappy. I noticed in the BIOS my CPU temps was high. I sent it to a computer shop. He reseated the heatsink and reinstalled windows and all new drivers and a bios flash. I can't do that at home , my internet is too slow. I get too many corrupt files. When I got the computer home I again enabled XMP, I tryed to set the SATA mode to AHCI and then booted. The computer tryed to repair Windows so I canceled the repair, went back into bios, set SATA back to IDE. I did some research online on MSI forum and found that I need to set DRAM voltage to 1.514( no option for 1.50), and disable speed spectrum and it runs great now. No more freeze ups. But if the DRAM voltage is wrong set at "Auto" then CPU voltage is probably wrong as well. I do know the CPU temps are wrong in the bios. Like Fogel said, its probably a immature Bios. I do want the bios fixed and I am grateful for all suggestions and help. But , I have a three year warranty so still have time to get it right before I RMA it.

When I was looking for a mobo I would look at the users reviews and none of them looked good. I know some problems were brought on by the end users themselves. But if the mobo makers were proud of there product and felt confident that they did everything right on there end they wouldn't be hiding behind a Email Tech Support. If all the bugs were worked out of there product a man could pick up a phone and call them and there would a person on the other line and not a recording tell me to leave my phone number and they will get back to me. Thank you for letting me vent.

Edited by peshewah

I feel your pain. I went ahead an sent a RMA request for my GPU from my post. The solution you had about the DRAM v seemed to work for several hours but eventually froze the PC again. If you find a solution on the correct CPU voltage settings, I would love to hear it. I figure it has to be the MB or the GPU but what do I know. I am trying to figure out how to post pics of the BSODs and Event Viewer to show what the computer is saying?

Before I installed anything I asked on this forum how I should set the SATA option: IDE / AHCI / or Raid. I was told AHCI and I did so. I also enabled XMP. Then I installed windows. It ran OK but I expected more. It just wasn't that snappy. I noticed in the BIOS my CPU temps was high. I sent it to a computer shop. He reseated the heatsink and reinstalled windows and all new drivers and a bios flash. I can't do that at home , my internet is too slow. I get too many corrupt files. When I got the computer home I again enabled XMP, I tryed to set the SATA mode to AHCI and then booted. The computer tryed to repair Windows so I canceled the repair, went back into bios, set SATA back to IDE. I did some research online on MSI forum and found that I need to set DRAM voltage to 1.514( no option for 1.50), and disable speed spectrum and it runs great now. No more freeze ups. But if the DRAM voltage is wrong set at "Auto" then CPU voltage is probably wrong as well. I do know the CPU temps are wrong in the bios. Like Fogel said, its probably a immature Bios. I do want the bios fixed and I am grateful for all suggestions and help. But , I have a three year warranty so still have time to get it right before I RMA it.

When I was looking for a mobo I would look at the users reviews and none of them looked good. I know some problems were brought on by the end users themselves. But if the mobo makers were proud of there product and felt confident that they did everything right on there end they wouldn't be hiding behind a Email Tech Support. If all the bugs were worked out of there product a man could pick up a phone and call them and there would a person on the other line and not a recording tell me to leave my phone number and they will get back to me. Thank you for letting me vent.

I feel your pain, that is why I always buy asus. You always get a person on the phone and they speak english. Not Indian english, not korean english, just plain regular english!!!! That is really important when stuff like this happens.

I will keep digging for info. I will post it as soon as I find it. Please do the same.

What really chapps my butt is this mobo has all these features but they can't get the basics right.

My son is playing Skyrim. There is alittle "jerky" to it but thats about it ...... so far.