ir_cow

Blown cap or VRM?

i had another thread asking what was a good temp for vrms when smoke came out and that was the end of it. it was at 50c btw. so i took it apart and i can't tell if its a blown cap next to the VRM or the top one went bad. also is it fixable?

Edited by hornybluecow

yeah i was surprised to find no thermal pad but paste. i thought that was advised against?

Why didn't you put pads on...I thought you watercooled it? Which usually requires you to take off the air cooler, unless you bought it with it already installed..

Edited by Krieg1337

my fault for not looking and resetting the blocks. but Bad water-hazard! bad.i found a replacement board on ebay for $70, might jump on it...

yeah i got it from water-hazard with the blocks already on. i figured it was fine since it was already used and broken in. oh well, let that be a lesson. always fully inspect a board included taking off custom heatsinks and or waterblocks.

Edited by hornybluecow

my fault for not looking and resetting the blocks. but Bad water-hazard! bad.i found a replacement board on ebay for $70, might jump on it...

Ahhh ok, yeah from now on I am making sure that if I buy watercooled stuff, it is mounted correctly.

My thermal pads were quite wide for my classified and I had 0 issues covering everything, it actually went over the VRM's a bit, that is how wide they were.

what thickness thermal pad should i get. so many choices on frozencpu.com

I usually get 1 mm pads. If they are too thick they always squish down anyway - but if they are too thin you end up blowing stuff up.

That definitely looks like a blown FET (which will cause the caps to pop too).

Edited by Waco

i picked up the same board on ebay for $54 shipped so i'm all set. this time i'll do the seating :) overall not so bad considering the blocks are $200 and the board is $200. i got it all used with the replacement for $130