Sign in to follow this  
Liclac

Total Data Loss in Laptop HDD

Hi guys..

I have a friend who owns an Asus N43SL for about 2 or 3 months, yeah, it is a very good notebook. She treat it well, and as long as I know, she didn't have any problem with it until a few days ago. She has a single HDD 640GB, 140GB is for C: (OS) and 500GB is for D: (Data). A few days ago, she found that all of her data in D: completely loss (free space 495GB of 495GB), recently, there was 20GB data there.

This is what she told me how it happened:

1. She bought a brand new flashdisk.

2. She has a friend who own new Asus N55, (maybe about 1 week old). her friend ask him to copy a freeware game from her laptop via her new flashdisk.

3. At first, when she was copying the game, it was said that the data had some error while copying, but she don't understand much about computer, so she ignored it.

4. After copying, the D still healthy and had no problem.

5. her friend gave back her flashdisk, and she wanted to copy some data to flashdisk. When she plugged in the flashdisk, and she open my computer, she found that the blue bar of her D was completely gone, so did her data inside.

Lucky, some important college data could be recovered using EaseUs Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition. But some were completely loss, and cannot be recovered.

and I had checked both of their laptop, there was no virus at all. And after that happened, her friend's N55 still working fine and had no issue at all with the data and performance. It was only D partition which was gone. The partition itself is healthy until now, no bad sectors.

Do you guys have any idea what the root of the problem is? She is afraid of data loss anymore, because we have some important data for our project and college... I recommend her to save her data in C for a while, but it is not safe either....

I want to know the cause so the problem can be avoided...this is the first time I see something like this...thanks

regards

Liclac

Really, the only way a problem like that can be avoided is to back the data up as regularly as the importance of the data dictates. If you can't afford to lose more than a day's worth of data, back up every day. And do not back up to the same device as the original data is stored on. Best idea is to back it up to some online storage or to an external device, such as a flash drive or external hard drive. If you want to go an extra step with backups, back it up in more than one location as well, maybe alternating between two flash drives so that if something kills your hard drive and the backup drive, you still have your data in a third location.

Edited by rivalary

Really, the only way a problem like that can be avoided is to back the data up as regularly as the importance of the data dictates. If you can't afford to lose more than a day's worth of data, back up every day. And do not back up to the same device as the original data is stored on. Best idea is to back it up to some online storage or to an external device, such as a flash drive or external hard drive. If you want to go an extra step with backups, back it up in more than one location as well, maybe alternating between two flash drives so that if something kills your hard drive and the backup drive, you still have your data in a third location.

thanks for your reply, I have told her to backup her data regularly since that incident.. But I just want to know the cause, if the HDD is in problem, she can claim it for the warranty...

regards