Problem With Internet

CheeseMan42

i just got my new comp up and running :D and i have run into a problem :( . i have a cable modem hooked up to a router which goes to my two computers. the problem is that i cant get on the internet on my new comp. its not the router or the internet connection. can anyone offer a suggestion?

i just got my new comp up and running :D and i have run into a problem :( . i have a cable modem hooked up to a router which goes to my two computers. the problem is that i cant get on the internet on my new comp. its not the router or the internet connection. can anyone offer a suggestion?

Is it a wireless router or wired?

you want to check and see if your getting an ip from the router....do into ms-dos and at the prompt type ipconfig

you should get something like

ip address 192.168.0.2

gateway 192.168.0.1

if its all 0's or some number like 169.134.23.21 then your not picking up an ip from the router ie. no connection

if this happens reboot your router and then your pc ....if it wont get an ip then you have to hardcode it in the tcp properties ....

once you get it hardcoded you can do a "ping 192.168.0.1" from the ms-dos prompt ...if you get a reply then that means the pc sees the router

you should be able to browse then ...if not go to ms-dos and try to "telnet 192.168.01" to the router ...if you cant then you will need a winsock fix

if so type

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

this will repair the win socket ... if you can telnet and ping the router its going to be a browser issue

Edited by Hades25

Does the router report that it is connected to the internet? You may have to manually tell the router to connect through the modem.

Edit: Do you have a firewall on the problem computer? If so, try disabling the firewall. I had a firewall that was causing problems with my wireless router connection at first.