Install 120mm fan on side of DF-85?

Brutality

I was wondering if I should install a 120mm fan on the side of my DF-85 (the optional 120mm fan slot it got built-in), when I get my twin 6950s

If it's a good idea - then I am just wondering if I can get one that fits (due to my D-14 bulking out)

Attached is a picture with measurements - The 11m one is an approximate - couldn't measure it preciesly.. prolly 10-12mm

Also: these 45 and 75mm ones, they are measured with the side taken off, so I don't know if, when I put the side on, that there is less space

And finally: note the 75mm is with an 5870 - I haven't got time now to see if the 6950s are larger or smaller

Thanks in advance - gtg catch train now!

EDIT: Seems like the 6950 is 1mm wider, so roughly the same clearance

If there's good chance there is enough cleareance:

What's the best 120mm fan? :P as always I want the best of the best when I buy hardware ;) (I don't care about how load it is, I just want the lowest temperatures, so I can maximize my overclocks ;))

EDIT: I take that back again.. what I said about noise... I just found out about the delta fan... and 60+ dB... ok that's a bit too much tbh.. so best fan not too loud to cause insaneness :P

post-68353-0-42082400-1319800017_thumb.png

Edited by Brutality

With only an 11mm clearance I would just upgrade the rest of the case fans with quieter and higher cfm ones.

That's from the middle of the screwhole to the D14, if you get me (see attachment)

So if there is more than 10-12mm from the screwhole to the edge of the fan, then I've only got 45mm clearance

But if it's less, then I have 75mm clearence (plus or minus something depending on size of 6950s compared to the 5870)

EDIT: Seems like the 6950 is 1mm wider, so roughly the same clearance

post-68353-0-14406300-1319804798_thumb.png

Edited by Brutality

With my big ole Prolimatech Megahalems, a 120mm fan fit with no issues on the side of my DF-85. Even with something as massive as the NH-D14. I don't see how you wouldn't have enough room.

I wouldn't bother upgrading all the fans on the case, they work great. I only put a side fan on... because i could. Didn't need it, didn't have any affect on temps. There is already so much air flow from the other 12 fans in the case that that other one didn't do squat!

With my big ole Prolimatech Megahalems, a 120mm fan fit with no issues on the side of my DF-85. Even with something as massive as the NH-D14. I don't see how you wouldn't have enough room.

I wouldn't bother upgrading all the fans on the case, they work great. I only put a side fan on... because i could. Didn't need it, didn't have any affect on temps. There is already so much air flow from the other 12 fans in the case that that other one didn't do squat!

Oh, then I'll just save myself for the potential extra noise and keep my rig as it is :P

FFS can't wait for my twin 6950s... they won't be sent before 31st Oct... and God know when they will arrive... oh the impatience of me.. it's killing me lol

Oh, then I'll just save myself for the potential extra noise and keep my rig as it is :P

FFS can't wait for my twin 6950s... they won't be sent before 31st Oct... and God know when they will arrive... oh the impatience of me.. it's killing me lol

One thing in life that never gets easier... Waiting for shipping, lolol.

Gonna be awesome when they show up finally! Gotta bench those new cards and post the results. We have a really nice scoring page for 3DMark11 going. Dont forget to drop one there too!

The only thing that adding the 13th fan to my case(the side fan) did was allow an intake fan to bypass the dust filters and now my case gets dirty in 2 months instead of 6. If i had something else to do with the fan, i would, but i dont so... Thats that!

Gonna be awesome when they show up finally! Gotta bench those new cards and post the results. We have a really nice scoring page for 3DMark11 going. Dont forget to drop one there too!

Yeah I've posted my 5870s score, will definately post the twin 6950s as soon as i get my hands on it, will post both stock and overclocked scores ;)

The only thing that adding the 13th fan to my case(the side fan) did was allow an intake fan to bypass the dust filters and now my case gets dirty in 2 months instead of 6. If i had something else to do with the fan, i would, but i dont so... Thats that!

Oh, well then I am definately not installing a side fan :P

Was a bit confusing working it out thought it mention the d14 was only 11mm clear of the case so you would have to find a super slim fan.

Hehe no probs

I tried to help understanding it with the "View", to show where to view it from - but it can easily be misread like you did ;)

Hehe no probs

I tried to help understanding it with the "View", to show where to view it from - but it can easily be misread like you did ;)

It was probably more that I was on my phone no it make a lot more sense now and I actually have an idea for you.

First up a side fan in a case like that would introduce lots of turbulence to a case with pretty decent air cooling set up.

Secondly I have checked out your sig and I beleive this can work it involves creating a duct.

You could mount your apparently single HDD up top with the fan there and could duct the bottom two fans to your 6950s.

This could be as simple as a single sheet of plastic sticking out to the end of he top card so that the air isn't pulled up and out of the case before getting to the cards. If you wish you could even individually duct each card giving them their own fresh supplies of air.

You could also add additional fans to the back of your HDD rack too. If you did that something you could do is gut out an old pos 120mm fan, so it is just a ring and that would work a a short duct, with the added bonus of creating a small directional vortex.