Windows 7 score

Pec0

My rig scores a lowly Windows 7 rating of 5.9 and really struggles to play games such as Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Can anyone tell me if this is a poor score for my rig?

•  
  • Antec 300 Case & Antec 750w Truepower new
  • Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n
  • Intel core 2 duo E8500 (3.16ghz) socket 775 Wolfdale
  • Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 XMS3 DHX Memory Kit
  • Sapphire Radeon 4870 HDMI Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
  • 500Gb Sata II h/d & 250Gb ide h/d & 1Tb WD notebook h/d
  • Mon-1 Samsung Syncmaster 940BW & Mon-2 Dell Ultrasharp
  • Saitek KB & Sidewinder X8
  • Windows 7 x64 Bit Home Edition

Well the overall score is being held down by the HD most likely. Unless you RAID I have never seen a spindle drive go above 5.9. However THAT would not cause issues with games. The gaming is likely your CPU holding the system back. Depending on the resolution you game at it could be the video as well but to me the CPU seems weak.

@Pec0, Is 5.9 your lowest score? Which Stat is at 5.9? They always take what ever the lowest score is, even if all the rest are alot higher.

Without spending any money, if I were you I would see about getting a 400 to 600 mhz overclock out of your CPU then retest. 3.1 on a dual core chip with a 4870 is going to struggle some with intense games.

that cpu is the best overclocker ever! (in those days)

you can easily get it over 4GHz if you want.

what do you mean by struggles here? if you mean ultra the i get it, but at low/med setings it should do just fine.

Windows experience index is worthless! lowest score is from your harddrive, only ssds go over 6 to my knowledge, but that number is irrelevant. test with pcmark or 3dmark to get some numbers that really tell what your pc can do.

You should upgrade your CPU and GPU.

I bought, at the time, socket 775 as it was the latest thing on the market. But my, slightly more computer literate than I am friend, said that 775 socket is pretty much obsolete and I would find it difficult to better the CPU I already have. Do you have any suggestions which CPU I should go for?

Edited by Pec0

@Pec0, Is 5.9 your lowest score? Which Stat is at 5.9? They always take what ever the lowest score is, even if all the rest are alot higher.

Without spending any money, if I were you I would see about getting a 400 to 600 mhz overclock out of your CPU then retest. 3.1 on a dual core chip with a 4870 is going to struggle some with intense games.

It's the stat when you go start button and click on games and it tells you the "Current system" rating. Seems like that scoring in Windows is worthless. I will have a wee go at overclocking the CPU. I have no idea what RAID is so I'll have to give that a google too.

Medbor.. when I say it struggles I mean it's kind of choppy and even on low settings, it's playable but not entirely enjoyable.

It's the stat when you go start button and click on games and it tells you the "Current system" rating. Seems like that scoring in Windows is worthless. I will have a wee go at overclocking the CPU. I have no idea what RAID is so I'll have to give that a google too.

The Windows score like everyone said is pretty pointless! OCing your CPU is something that is fun to learn about, and you would be amazed at the performance jump it can give! But, it looks like you are still using the stock lga 775 cooler that came with the Intel C2D, so you will need to be careful when OCing! If you want that chip to run at 4GHz, then you will need a different aftermarket cooler! The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a great choice, and it is pretty cheap!

The Windows score like everyone said is pretty pointless! OCing your CPU is something that is fun to learn about, and you would be amazed at the performance jump it can give! But, it looks like you are still using the stock lga 775 cooler that came with the Intel C2D, so you will need to be careful when OCing! If you want that chip to run at 4GHz, then you will need a different aftermarket cooler! The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a great choice, and it is pretty cheap!

Ok I will do. Per my post above, was my friend correct suggesting 775 is obsolete or is there a CPU out there better than what I have already? Would you suggest this over a new CPU?

775 is an older chipset, but for gaming, it is still very usable! If you are doing alot of heavy CPU work on your PC, then a better processor will of course help. But, if your main use is going to be gaming, then your CPU will treat you just fine, and OCing will def help! Now, if you upgraded to an i7 or quad core Phenom II CPU, of course you would be adding performance to you rig, but do you need it? If you are just focusing on the PC playing games, then the FPS jump will not be very big and prob wouldn't be worth the money spent. It really comes down to what you use your PC for!

775 is an older chipset, but for gaming, it is still very usable! If you are doing alot of heavy CPU work on your PC, then a better processor will of course help. But, if your main use is going to be gaming, then your CPU will treat you just fine, and OCing will def help! Now, if you upgraded to an i7 or quad core Phenom II CPU, of course you would be adding performance to you rig, but do you need it? If you are just focusing on the PC playing games, then the FPS jump will not be very big and prob wouldn't be worth the money spent. It really comes down to what you use your PC for!

Yeah it's pretty much for gaming use. I think I'll overclock and look into upgrading my GPU.

For talking sake I presume if I did want a new CPU i7 or quad core Phenom II or the likes I would require a new motherboard?

Yeah it's pretty much for gaming use. I think I'll overclock and look into upgrading my GPU.

For talking sake I presume if I did want a new CPU i7 or quad core Phenom II or the likes I would require a new motherboard?

Yes indeed, you sure would :teehee: