Sign in to follow this  
aspevacek

G Skill

Ok so I put my rig together and I am running a set of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231480

I am wondering if there would be any advantage to swapping to one of the faster memories.

The computer is used to surf the web and play World of Warcraft mainly. I am well aware 2X GTX 590 is massive over kill for warcarft but it was the choice I had made incase I wan tot play some 1st person shooters down the road.

thanks foir any input

Ram speed is unnoticeable. It would only affect benchmarks slightly(1-5%) In normal use you would never know.

I would recommend you replace those raptors with some SSDs in Raid 0 for a nice speed boost in your system. Because otherwise your running about the best hardware out there right now. :thumbsup:

I agree with Black. You're fine with the RAM you have.

HINT...... G.Skill's low voltage stuff usually has some headroom to tighten timings or increase frequencies if you're willing to give them a little juice :)

I wouldn't be surprised if you could tickle 1800Mhz out of them at 1.4v or a little more / little less.

That is an outstanding price on those drives. As little as a month ago I couldn't have recommended any of the OCZ 3 series because of firmware issues with the Sandforce 2281 controller. However, from firmware 2.11 up to the current firmware (2.25) it appears that most of the issues have been resolved. Looks like everyone buying them from Newegg is getting them with firmware 2.25, so that's a good thing. I'd say go for it at that price. Just double check the firmware version before you put them into service. You can use the OCZ SSD Toolbox to do that. Also, be advised that if the drive requires a firmware update, you cannot perform the firmware update if the SSD has the Windows operating system on it. I'm not sure what OCZ was thinking when they designed the Toolbox. I mean, doesn't it make sense that most everyone would already have an OS installed before checking the firmware? :unsure: I believe this is a limitation only when running Windows, not sure if Linux has the same limitation.

Just curious............ why are you buying two? Are you planning to put them in RAID or keep as standalone?

I have usually installed Drives in pairs. Usually run everything in Raid 0. Was thinking it would work on the SSD's as well from what I was reading on reviews. I guess the SSD's were kinda new on the market and I had read alot of bad stuff about short life spans and drives just going tits up for no reason. That kinda spooked me away from buying them versus Velociraptors when I started the system rebuild.

I wouldn't worry about short life spans. The SSD drives will last long beyond when you want a bigger or better one :)

Here is a great excerpt from a well respected site that does many, many SSD reviews;

"Furthermore, as we've demonstrated in the past, given a normal desktop usage model even NAND rated for only 3000 program/erase cycles will last for a very long time given a controller with good wear leveling. Let's quickly do the math again. If you have a 100GB drive and you write 7GB per day you'll program every MLC NAND cell in the drive in just over 14 days—that's one cycle out of three thousand. Outside of SandForce controllers, most SSD controllers will have a write amplification factor greater than 1 in any workload. If we assume a constant write amplification of 20x (and perfect wear leveling) we're still talking about a useful NAND lifespan of almost 6 years. In practice, write amplification for desktop workloads is significantly lower than that."

Reliability is improving and problems are being resolved almost daily. I wouldn't worry about those things. I've been running SSDs as my primary boot/os drive for almost a year now and I'm very happy I made the switch.

Since you are going to RAID them I'm gonna offer three other suggestions on what I consider to be better drives though;

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB3-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233204

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226247

You'll notice that all three of these drives are between 60Gb and 90Gb in capacity, and I know that is smaller than what you were originally considering. But I specifically recommended these drives because they are high quality / high performing SSDs that will be perfect in RAID and still cost a little less than the fire sale that everyone is having on the OCZ 3 series SSDs.

You'll also find that of the three drives I recommended above, the Crucial M4 has a marginally lower speed spec. than the other two. That's because the Crucial is using a Marvell 9174 controller, while the others are using the Sandforce 2281 controller. Evidence seems to be pointing (at least right now) that the Marvell controller has fewer issues than folks have been seeing with the 2281s. So something to consider, especially if you've got double the chance of failure in RAID0.

I ordered a pair of

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB3-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233204

we will see how they do fo rme. I will use the velociraptors for general storage and the Hitachi's for just bulk storage of stuff.

My board can have up to 7 Sata devices connected at once and 1 of those is set for my DVD burner. so 6 spaces open for HHD's

Thx for the input on drives and I hope they perform as well as I think they will.

Sweet. I hope you'll be kind enough to post up some benchmark scores once you get them set up :)

Got the SSDs installed and installing my system on them right now. I will say I used to be impressed with Velociraptors but after watching the SSDs boot I have changed my feelings. The SSDs boot stupid fast.

Got the SSDs installed and installing my system on them right now. I will say I used to be impressed with Velociraptors but after watching the SSDs boot I have changed my feelings. The SSDs boot stupid fast.

Nice :cheers:

Yeah. Night and day difference between a spin up and a solid state. My system overclocked with my revolution drive from ocz boots into windows and idles down in about 15 seconds. Total time is about 30 seconds as I have a really long motherboard post and function start. Hopefully one of these days solid state drives will become.e the standard and the pricez will drop down. It would be great I tell you. Lol