greengiant912

Physical Box or Digital Copy?

Retail or Digital  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Retail or Digital?

• Retail
    • Digital
    • Both

Digital... there's no resale value anymore, so retail is about collecting, and I don't have space to collect.

Digital...

I lost so many D2 CD's and Keys... I never bought another game physically unless I had no other choice.

Guest evilneil

Im all digital now, I have boxes of old games, Sick of losing my cd keys, or game discs, or having to insert a game disc to play. Such a hassle, I <3 steam!

Both because I get digital ones when they are free :) Like Mass Effect 2 and Metro 2033 that Bay gave me :) I still like the physical copy... specially for more complicated games for manual :)

Am I the only one that thinks it's stupid that even with retail copies of many many games you can't play without some kind of server being up for the game to connect to and/or update?

I'd be all over buying physical copies if it meant something - but if you do that today you usually can't play the game without some kind of server anyway...

its because developers realized trying to make anti-crackable games is IMPOSSIBLE

and the best way to do it is make exclusive online content, missions,dlcs,achievements/rewards

look @ games like starcraft, yeah you can get a crack and play it. but without multiplayer its 80% not as fun

IMO its the best step for new-age people, but for the people who just want to buy a game and not care about internet well... kidna a shaft.

double edged sword, how much can you poison the customer before they get too sick?

how much crap can you give DRM, online access required before they say screw it

double edged sword, how much can you poison the customer before they get too sick?

how much crap can you give DRM, online access required before they say screw it

Not a lot if I'm the customer. :lol:

I pretty much just entirely avoid a publisher or developer that had/had DRM on their titles. Even if it was only one of their games, and it's now been removed, too late, they are on my poop list until they do something significant to win me back.

Edited by Deathmineral

Retail

Because downloading sucks. Most companies these days allow you to store your CD key online so you get benefits of both Digital and Retail. The other thing that gets me about Digital - its not always cheaper than Retail. Sometimes it is even more expensive. If it is digital - it should be cheaper by default.

I pretty much just entirely avoid a publisher or developer that had/had DRM on their titles. Even if it was only one of their games, and it's now been removed, too late, they are on my poop list until they do something significant to win me back.

Not true :P You use Steam. Steam is the first major form of online DRM. We had this discussion before. You are just like the rest of us gamers, whether you want to admit it or not. We make exceptions to play the games we like.

Retail

Because downloading sucks. Most companies these days allow you to store your CD key online so you get benefits of both Digital and Retail. The other thing that gets me about Digital - its not always cheaper than Retail. Sometimes it is even more expensive. If it is digital - it should be cheaper by default.

Not true :P You use Steam. Steam is the first major form of online DRM. We had this discussion before. You are just like the rest of us gamers, whether you want to admit it or not. We make exceptions to play the games we like.

I know I make exceptions, and Steam is one of them. True it is DRM but I like to think the good outweighs the bad. I also believe that Valve tends to be one of the more caring companies out there when it comes to customers.

For me Steam is pretty much always the cheapest option, there really isn't anyone that I've found to put up a competitive price and and service. Probably the best competitor that I've seen is Amazon. A lot of this stuff really depends on location though, I live in a rural area of a small town, my only options are Gamestop or Wal-Mart, I'm banned from Wal-Mart for life and Gamestop has a tiny little shelf of PC games hidden in the back of the store and they never put those games on sale, which makes sense, their market is in consoles and used games after all.

Also, we can always say Steam is a form of DRM but honestly I think it allows a bit more freedom than most DRM. Steam isn't about restricting the customer as much as it is about enabling the customer. That's how I look at it anyway, Steam tries to provide good customer service, support, and convenience at a good price.

I prefer having a physical copy, but I've come to accept that digital is here to stay and have begin buying digital games as well.

I'm all for retail. I like the satisfaction of having a case and disc and the shock value of seeing my friends freak because they're all digital. I do like only having to use the disc once though. It seems the physical stuff is just a starter anymore. I bought Skyrim retail and it all downloaded from Steam, odd. It's nice though. I was a poor kid so having anything physical is better to me.