What Language?

Ghost2520

Ok, I am the first to admit that most jobs are maintaining old code. But C++ is not exactly a bleeding edge technology. It has been around for a long long time. With the exception of COBOL, all the languages you listed here are C based. Learning VB6 may be fun, but the jobs will never pay much, and no one is building new apps with it. I should know, I am a VB6 (along with other languages) programmer.

All Im saying is that if you get your core programming knowledge in C++, you can pick up any language.

If we wanna talk about all the languages that are good to learn on the planet, go with:

C

C++

PowerBuilder

PERL

VB6

VB.NET

Python

COBOL

FORTRAN (if your retro)

Assembler

The list goes on and on . . . .

The main reason I was going to take a programming class was because it counts as a math credit, and why I wanted to take Visual Basic is cause its used for the programs that I want. Every student I have talked to after taking a semester or even a year for that matter can barely do anything. The "best" project for the java class involved two balls bouncing off each other over and over again. Why would I care about spending a year just to learn that? :blink: I found out today that our school offers a 3D Modeling class, I'm going to check tomorrow and see if that counts as a math credit because it uses lots of Geometry. If that counts, then I'm most likely going to take that. I'm more of a "visual based" person. I like to see things as I'm doing it, like modeling. For programming, I don't like having to wait until I am completely done and then going back and trying to find errors just to get things to work right. I also just got a book with software called 3DSmax or something like that for modeling, gonna have to give it a try and see how I like it.

^^^3d studiomax, I saw it once but as far as I know its quite complicated, You can make game characters, ships, weapons etc with it.

I tried to make some stuff for C&C Renagade, but I t just wasnt happining :rolleyes: hadnt got the time or patience to learn :P

Yah I got like a 600 page book and the software for it for only $10!! I also got Windows Game Programming for Dummies, but its not really for dummies considering you need to know C++ to understand what they are talking about so that is just collecting dust.

i have to admint i dont konw any "real" language.. but my friend Nathain does, he knows pascal, c++,C, emacs lisp <-- his fav :) he aslo knows some bionary code, that Ti83 calculator stuff :) .. he also knows alot more that i dont know the names of, but will ask and repost the stuff i missed. But anyway, nathain suggests emacs lisp as a easy programing language to start off! but he said if you dont what to use that devenitally go with C++, he said once you know C++ the rest of the languages you try to learn will come farly easally, exept pascal and bionary code. I am writing to you from the words of a genus!! He realy is.. he can tell you anything about everything.. and comes up with his own ideas and thereies about everything, and even programing.. things that people said could not be done, he has done them!!! hehe. ahh, but he needs to get a job :lol:

hope this helped ya man.. well i prob just confused the he** out of you but.. hope it hellped anyway!