What Language?

Ghost2520

I was thinking about taking computer programming at school because it counts as a math credit but also cause I wanted to make some programs that I want but usually cost money. So what language do I need to learn to program things like bootxp, wallpaper change programs, custom cursor programs etc. Is that java or something? Thanks.

Knowledge of 20325325 programming languages isn't usually that attractive on a resume. If you have a solid understanding in 2 or 3, then you can pretty much learn anything quite quickly. Ghost, VB is fine and good to start off with but don't expect to be making professional programs anytime soon. You need a thorough understanding of the Win32 API before getting into what you want to do. VB is capable of it though.

Notice i said 15 languages not slightly over 20million lol. :P

1. Try finding the space on a real resume to list 15 languages.

2. Knowing the syntax of 15 languages doesn't say anything about your programming skills, anyone can look up keywords.

3. Knowing 2 or 3 programming languages spanning different methodologies is much wiser (ie object oriented, procedural, structural, functional...etc)

4. There is no difference between knowing 15 languages and 20 million if you don't understand the foundations upon which all languages are built. Most of these fundamental concepts can be implemented with knowledge of just one language.

I was thinking about taking computer programming at school because it counts as a math credit but also cause I wanted to make some programs that I want but usually cost money. So what language do I need to learn to program things like bootxp, wallpaper change programs, custom cursor programs etc. Is that java or something? Thanks.

well, looking at your profile, and your age, i assume you're talkin about a class in high school. Thus, don't expect to be able to program those programs you want to know how to program....in fact, i could almost guarantee you wouldn't be able to program them unless you go off and learn some more advanced techniques on your own.

Learn C++ first. Understand C++. Become a god in C++. If you are a god in C++, you can program in any language. Make sure you research Object Oriented meathodology and CGI.

If you have a firm grip on this stuff, your set. Forget VB, since VB 6 is obsolete, and sux anyways, and if your using .NET you may as well start with C++.NET.

Learn C++ first. Understand C++. Become a god in C++. If you are a god in C++, you can program in any language. Make sure you research Object Oriented meathodology and CGI.

If you have a firm grip on this stuff, your set. Forget VB, since VB 6 is obsolete, and sux anyways, and if your using .NET you may as well start with C++.NET.

Yo buddy, lots of programming jobs are not about writing new code in the latest language to date, but maintaining old code. Lots of stuff is written in C, VB6, hell there are people out there still looking for COBOL programmers. It's not obselete knowledge.

^^^plus the fact that C++ is a lot more complicated than VB, also it is usually better to learn C before C++, try perl, VB6 and java, they are the basic three, Dunno about you guys but I dont really like programming languages, I know some VB, and next year I have to learn java, perl and C :sigh: