Need help deciding gamer gfx card

Brutality

Wev is right PSU will handle cards and should be fine another year or two even folding occasionally.

Edit: you could still check for any visable signs of deterioration leaky caps ect. But if it hasnt started performing badly making weird sounds I dont see why it wont carry you easily to your next upgrade.

Cool - haven't had any issues with it =)

OMG I can't wait for my first dual GPU setup

Should arrive in 3 days =P

Can't wait to run Heaven 2.5 and 3DMark11 with more than 5-10 fps :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Brut.

The Corsair TX750 is an outstanding power supply. It's hard to give the exact life expectancy of a great quality power supply, but I can tell you specifically on the TX750 that it has been my go to power supply for several builds, all of which are still going strong. The oldest one is over 3 years old now. Honestly, on a psu like the TX750 you can almost count on it lasting as long as you want to use it. Someday it will give up the ghost, but by then you'll have probably replaced it anyway. IMHO it's the last thing you need to worry yourself with. The nice thing about the Corsair, is if it ever does decide to quit working it will probably just stop. Or turn on, then immediately shutdown. Not likely that it will take anything else with it if it ever decides to quit on you.

I'm really glad you decided on the dual AMD cards. I think you're going to be really really happy. Good luck and make sure to post up some performance numbers for us :)

Hello everyone,

Not to spin his head off but haven't you guys forgotton the HD5970 (256 GB memory bandwidth)? Isnt it better then all of these cards you spoken about except for the HD6990 (320 GB memory bandwidth)? A good place to check out video cards is http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php. :thumbsup:

Because it costs between 4038DKK and 5771DKK in Denmark

That's $755.42 to $1,079.62

or 542.41€ to 775.20€

or £472.93 to £675.90

Isn't Skyrim actually turning out to be a xbox 360 port to the PC? That would make me think that it will be a fairly easy game to run on max.... I would pick a diff a game to use as my benchmark for performance. I bet Batman Arkham City will slam the card harder then Skyrim.

K

Isn't Skyrim actually turning out to be a xbox 360 port to the PC? That would make me think that it will be a fairly easy game to run on max.... I would pick a diff a game to use as my benchmark for performance. I bet Batman Arkham City will slam the card harder then Skyrim.

True however I would make use of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Prypiat Benchmark with all dx11 lighting effects on and settings maxed. Once completed a run of uniengine heaven to round things off.

Batman would make a good benchmark for physx enabled nividia cards. Or physx hack for cpu in an ati card setup, apparently there are some gpus hacks now that can use multi-threading.

Skyrim while an xbox port doesnt bother me so long as it still feels and has good storyline like the last two tes games. I am happy knowing that the first mod I will be attempting is a dragon mount :evilgrin: then I will happily wait as the first retextures roll in, the unofficial dlc ect.

Final question:

When is it time to change PSU? I mean: How long time before it gets old and needs to be replaced

In years perhaps

I've had my Corsair for at least 1½-2 years.. possibly 3-4, hard to remember)

Or do PSU never die or wear off or old or whatever you say?

This is REALLY hard to answer because there are SO amny variables to this. Do you have a good surge protector, do you have clean power in your home and so on.

Buy a PSU with a good warrenty, I was really suprised when i foudn that a lot of Thermaltake PSUs come with a 5 year warranty, Corsairs professional series comes with 7 years and their enthusiest with 5 years. Right now these two are the brands I like best.

If you want the LONGEST life you can get out of your PSU then you need to make sure it is well protected. I suggest an UPS, not to keep it running during long outages but one to filter the eletrical noise out and give the system clean power. Replace it about once a year no matter what to ensure you never lose your level of protection. Even this extreme of protection cannot ensure a long life for your PSU but it will help a lot.